Andrew Jones to be released

103 mph screwball

MLB Hot Stove is reporting that Andrew Jones will be released by the Dodgers on Thursday. I have to think KW will take the chance with him at league minimum and hope Walker can fix him. If he is a malcontent or just plain sucks, then cut him loose. Hot Stove showed film of him looking slim and fit and broke down differences in his batting stance in LA vs. Atlanta.

KW might have to have one of his interns track down Boras's number and have Hahn call him. Jones was poison at his previous salary. He is a low risk high reward at league minimum and the Sox do not have CF nailed down just yet.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
MLB Hot Stove is reporting that Andrew Jones will be released by the Dodgers on Thursday. I have to think KW will take the chance with him at league minimum and hope Walker can fix him. If he is a malcontent or just plain sucks, then cut him loose. Hot Stove showed film of him looking slim and fit and broke down differences in his batting stance in LA vs. Atlanta.

KW might have to have one of his interns track down Boras's number and have Hahn call him. Jones was poison at his previous salary. He is a low risk high reward at league minimum and the Sox do not have CF nailed down just yet.

Andruw wants to go back to Atlanta

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)

Why would Andruw Jones receive league minimum? That sounds rediculous to me no matter how bad he has sucked the last two years. Has his stock really dropped that much?

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
Why would Andruw Jones receive league minimum? That sounds rediculous to me no matter how bad he has sucked the last two years. Has his stock really dropped that much?

The way I understand it, the Dodgers still pay him what they owed him in his contract. Since he will be released, he can sign with another team for league minimum and get paid by the Dodgers. Ouch. I'm not an expert on the collective bargining agreement so if anyone understands it differently please correct me. Also, Harold Reynolds was commenting on how several teams would take a look at him for league minimum.

Edited by 103 mph screwball

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
The way I understand it, the Dodgers still pay him what they owed him in his contract. Since he will be released, he can sign with another team for league minimum and get paid by the Dodgers. Ouch. I'm not an expert on the collective bargining agreement so if anyone understands it differently please correct me. Also, Harold Reynolds was commenting on how several teams would take a look at him for league minimum.

That's pretty much correct...in exchange for the Dodgers granting him his release, he agreed to accept only $5 million of the what, $18 million on his contract as payment this year...the rest of the money is deferred until later, so he still gets the full value of it, and he can sign elsewhere as a FA. The Dodgers are basically paying him to not play there this year because they get to defer the money. The MLBPA wouldn't allow him to do that if he didn't get the full value of his contract out of it.