US Airways Plane Lands in Hudson River

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
Hypothermia will set in before that plane sinks.

Yes. My concern about the sinking is that if it goes down, with the boats next to it, its possible it will pull the boats down with it. That plane is very heavy and shaped in such a way as to cause all sorts of weird currents.

Have you ever been on a flight, especially a transcontinental flight, and you hear them say "in the event of a water landing..." and thought about what a euphemism that was? What it really means is "uh, guys, in case the plane crashes into the ocean..."

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
Have you ever been on a flight, especially a transcontinental flight, and you hear them say "in the event of a water landing..." and thought about what a euphemism that was? What it really means is "uh, guys, in case the plane crashes into the ocean..."

Considering what could have happened here this is as close to a 'water landing' as you can get. At least the thing didn't rip apart and sink within seconds.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
Considering what could have happened here this is as close to a 'water landing' as you can get. At least the thing didn't rip apart and sink within seconds.

Just about... I mean they state that possibility about as gently as you can without sounding ridiculous.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)

Yeah really. I bet we will find out this pilot did an awesome f***ing job when details of the crash all comes out.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
CNN is talking to a passenger. He said everyone is alive. Sounds like they all got out or are getting out.

That's great news.

On a sidenote: I do quite a bit of traveling for work and every single time I am on the tarmac ready to take off I envision the plane going down. I'll probably lose 5 years of my life from that isolated form of stress.

Just crazy.

I live right on the Hudson, in Jersey, and would probably have a good view from there if I was home at the moment.

Apparently a flock of birds flew into the plane, and the pilot did the right thing in landing in the river.

Not a good day to be there ATM though, considering the weather.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
Just crazy.

I live right on the Hudson, in Jersey, and would probably have a good view from there if I was home at the moment.

Apparently a flock of birds flew into the plane, and the pilot did the right thing in landing in the river.

Not a good day to be there ATM though, considering the weather.

I can probably put up with being cold and wet for a little while if it means not drowning and whatnot. I'd b**** later, of course.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
If he kept the plane in one piece while landing in a major river, he did a pretty f***ing awesome job in my book.

Yeah didnt mean to be captain obvious right there. But I always initially think its pilot error in plane accidents,that there are signs that they ignore before taking off.