Circuit City

DonkeyKongerko

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
i can't remember ever going to circuit city for anything.

Me too. I live close to Yorktown and for years there's been a Circuit City and Best Buy down Butterfield Rd. For as long as they've been open I can only remember going there twice and that was when Best Buy was out of something.

I'm actually suprised they stayed around this long, all my friends and family went to Best Buy, Frye's or QED when it was open for DVDs and such, I can't honestly remember anyone going to Circuit City.

It's great now since my uncle sells appliances at a privately owned store, it's so great to avoid the B.S. and ripoffs.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
Circuit City had absolutely awful customer service. My mom had a direct phone number for one of the VP's because of how poorly some lower people treated her. I'm glad to see them gone.

I agree with this.

I only went to Circuit City twice because the store was laid out horribly and the staff treated me like I was bothering them if I had a question. I walked out both times without buying anything, and never went back again.

I'm not a huge fan of Best Buy, but they're light years ahead of Circuit City.

Good riddance, Circus s***ty.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
I agree with this.

I only went to Circuit City twice because the store was laid out horribly and the staff treated me like I was bothering them if I had a question. I walked out both times without buying anything, and never went back again.

I'm not a huge fan of Best Buy, but they're light years ahead of Circuit City.

Good riddance, Circus s***ty.

a little thread jack here, but when Galyan's sold to Dick's that's exactly what happened. Galyan's use to be a good store with a great lay out and a good staff, when Dick's took over the lay out sucked, their selection dropped and the staff was like you described, horsing around and when you asked them a question they acted like it was a hassle. It was one of a handful times I can remember going out of my way to talk to a manager to complain

I wasn't even talking about in-store CS. That's bad enough. About two years ago, my mom purchased a printer online. It was supposed to come with a free digital camera. When she received it, there was no camera. She called and they basically said "sorry, it was out of stock, you're out of luck." No credit, no rain check, no apologies. After a long series of letters, she finally got up to the senior brass and received a full refund.

They did something similar a few years ago to a friend who ordered a DVD online. It was backordered and they refused to honor the sale price and tried charging his CC for the difference.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
Me too. I live close to Yorktown and for years there's been a Circuit City and Best Buy down Butterfield Rd. For as long as they've been open I can only remember going there twice and that was when Best Buy was out of something.

I'm actually suprised they stayed around this long, all my friends and family went to Best Buy, Frye's or QED when it was open for DVDs and such, I can't honestly remember anyone going to Circuit City.

Same on everything

I worked part time at Best Buy years ago while still in college. While the pay wasn't good, I had a blast because the staff was a young crowd, with most people either in college or high school. And nearly 10 years later, i'm still friends with a bunch of ex-Best Buy coworkers.

Well since i was getting paid crap money, i decided to jump ship and go work for Circuit City. They offered commission, and with summer around the corner, i was told by management that i'd make a pretty penny that summer selling Air Conditioners. Well, it was a pretty mild summer, and i didn't pull in nearly as much as i expected. But the pay wasn't nearly the worst of it...

The place was practically a ghost town during the day, and didn't get much better in the evening. And since we were commission only, every department would be overflooded with workers; if you weren't quick enough to jump on a customer, then you were screwed. You could go hours without helping a customer; there were some days that i'd go home making less than $10 in a day..ouch. I remember one time i was able to sit between a tv display on the sales floor and watch the entire movie Ants without a customer. The place was just dead.

And don't get me started on how dark that place was....the only outside light coming into the building was the front entrance; i could never tell what was going on with the weather outside. And, most of the staff seamed like they were 40 or older. Here i am, twenty years old, working with a bunch of grumpy older people who were as depressed as i was.

I only lasted a few months at that place, and i'm kinda surprised i didnt leave sooner. I never understood how they were able to stay in business for so long; when you add up the pushy (and lying) salesmen, the gloomy atmosphere, and really no price advantage over the competition, it just never made sense.

When companies start liquidating don't they actually jack up the price and just mark it with a "clearance" tag?

EDIT:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/33343

Typically, closeout sales are final: no refunds or exchanges, so think twice before snapping up a big-ticket item like an HDTV. Also, keep in mind that closeout prices often aren't as rock-bottom low as you'd think; make sure to comparison shop online, and don't be fooled by big "75% OFF!" signs on items that have been marked up.
Edited by santo=dorf

I got a decent camera for a great price from CircuitCity.com but seem to recall the pickup of the item still took forever. The Joliet Store had a horrible layout at it seemed the registers were randomly placed by the phones, in the back by the video games, and most people checked out at the spot where the big items would go through. I went there once on a Black Friday to get Tony Hawk 3 for $9.99 and it was a complete mess.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
I really hope I can get myself a nice little deal on a 52"inch lcd tv.

They marked everything up then discounted it. Amazon is still your best bet for TV's. Cheaper price, free delivery and no tax. I bought 2 sammys from them this year and it has been a perfect experience.

I don't have the exact figure but it's widely stated that some 80 percent of Circuit City stores are within five miles of a Best Buy. I understand there are only so many good locations for a big box electronics store but CC never seemed to take their competition seriously. They tried to take the low road with their cheaper labor and stores. But their prices were never good enough for me to shop there.

Best Buy stock up 8% on the day.

QUOTE (DonkeyKongerko @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
I don't have the exact figure but it's widely stated that some 80 percent of Circuit City stores are within five miles of a Best Buy. I understand there are only so many good locations for a big box electronics store but CC never seemed to take their competition seriously. They tried to take the low road with their cheaper labor and stores. But their prices were never good enough for me to shop there.

Best Buy stock up 8% on the day.

In Manhattan next to Grand Central there's a Best Buy and a Circuit City right next to each other.

My guess is, Best Buy will just buy that space and expand their store.

I'm disappointed. :( I preferred Circuit City over Best Buy.

I always felt like I was paying more money at Best Buy, and Circuit City was one of the only places around that was still selling VCR's a couple months ago.

Also, I thought the dvd's were priced better at Circuit City, especially the older titles.

What I'm REALLY sad about is that I used to always talk to this HOT Jamaican girl at my local Circuit City. :( Now I won't be able to go there to "buy some dvd's" anymore. :(