Circuit City

DonkeyKongerko

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
I never buy electronics in a store, its always more expensive. I go look at things at the Best Buy nearby, then go find the best price for that product online, as long as its from a retailer that is at least semi-known (Amazon, Buy.com, etc.). You can often avoid sales tax this way too.

Yes people like you truly do suck, come into stores ask the associates questions about it than leave and buy it online. I cant blame you for wanting to save money but it truly is irritating when you get those customers.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 09:25 AM)
Yes people like you truly do suck, come into stores ask the associates questions about it than leave and buy it online. I cant blame you for wanting to save money but it truly is irritating when you get those customers.

I usually will go look at the physical product first, but I won't bother the associates.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 06:54 PM)
www.amazon.com people. It will save you money, gas, and the aggrevation of standing in long lines.

Amazon is truly the best. Especially AmazonMP3. Getting current DRM-free MP3 albums for

I guess I'm the only person who who honestly liked Circuit City. They always have better movie deals than Best Buy, and I bought my last 2 laptops from there. I couldn't care less about layout or in-store customer service as long as they had good deals on stuff. I've always just gone in, got what I needed, and left.

They're no worse than the pushy salesman who tries and sell an extended warranty ontop of the TV or tell me that "The most important thing with flatscreen TV's is the quality of your cables" and then try to shove a monster cable down your throat for $150. They got me once on that as I picked up a cable in an open package for $65 or so and even at the separate register the clerk commented on my open cable. "Ooh, that's a nice cable." It was really a drop in a bucket compared to everything else I made in that purchase. I read a lot of stories on bestbuysucks.com that make me even think less of POS salesmen.

I remember Circuit City's no questions asked return policy too. I had a calculator that was damaged by too much exposure to rain so I bought a new one, swapped them in the packaging and returned it for full price. Take THAT! mother nature.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
Will I be seeing huge sales soon? 50 inch TV for $200 type sale? :)

No. They sold all their merchandise to a liquidation company. These companies come in and jack up the prices x% and then "HUGE discount" them (x-5)%. So while it may be marked 50% off, it's really only 5 or 10% cheaper than it originally was. You can still get a deal, but nothing like 50" HDV for $200

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
They're no worse than the pushy salesman who tries and sell an extended warranty ontop of the TV or tell me that "The most important thing with flatscreen TV's is the quality of your cables" and then try to shove a monster cable down your throat for $150. They got me once on that as I picked up a cable in an open package for $65 or so and even at the separate register the clerk commented on my open cable. "Ooh, that's a nice cable." It was really a drop in a bucket compared to everything else I made in that purchase. I read a lot of stories on bestbuysucks.com that make me even think less of POS salesmen.

I remember Circuit City's no questions asked return policy too. I had a calculator that was damaged by too much exposure to rain so I bought a new one, swapped them in the packaging and returned it for full price. Take THAT! mother nature.

lol especially when it comes to digital cables. The data is just 0s and 1s and it will either get there or it won't, there is no loss of signal quality. If it can be avoided do not ever buy a cable at Best Buy, if you see a 70 dollar HDMI cable you can probably get a cheap cable on Amazon.com for like 9 bucks that does the exact same thing.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 09:25 AM)

I almost never bother the associates because they usually know less than I do. The only reason I even go into the store is if it is something I really want to see in person first, i.e. a TV. I'll already have done the research and narrowed it down, go to the store and look at the candidates, then leave to go order it.

But I can see how that would irritate store staff. It is part of retail, though - people shop around. If I go online and find that the store price was better, I'll go back to the store. But that never seems to happen.

Some people are less knowledgeable, and the staff can be very helpful for them. Others don't want to wait a few days for something to ship. The store and staff still serve a purpose, just not for everyone.

So far I've been reading the liqudators have jacked the prices up to MSRP and are taking 10-20% those prices on CD's and DVD's. :lol:

Another scam I was reading about on an anti Best Buy site: If the customer doesn't want to pay the extended warranty plan, go in the back and tell them that TV is out of stock. I think they may gotten me on that one as well, but I still ended up with a great TV. No need to qorry about the 4 pixels in each quadrant.

So I went, nothing special. They have people out there in the area holding up big signs saying "30% OFF" but you can't see unless you're right up on them the small thing that says "UP TO" before it. The stuff in the store was 10% off, who knows what the actual prices were before that, but I went in the store thinking I was gonna get 30% off on a 52" HDTV... yeah not so much. 10% isn't enough to make me buy something impulsively, I guess I'll wait until they start trying harder to get rid of stuff.

On a related note, I have NEVER seen so many people in that store before. It was like Black Friday.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 12:15 AM)
Hopefully Fry's Electronics replaces some of those stores.

What are Frye's locations around Chicagoland? I know in Lombard area they won't take over Circuit City's old spot becaue they have a big store about a mile from it right off 355.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
I'm disappointed. :( I preferred Circuit City over Best Buy.

I always felt like I was paying more money at Best Buy, and Circuit City was one of the only places around that was still selling VCR's a couple months ago.

Also, I thought the dvd's were priced better at Circuit City, especially the older titles.

What I'm REALLY sad about is that I used to always talk to this HOT Jamaican girl at my local Circuit City. :( Now I won't be able to go there to "buy some dvd's" anymore. :(

Circuit City will come back into business before you find another hot Jamaican chick. Ain't never seen one.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 12:54 AM)
What are Frye's locations around Chicagoland? I know in Lombard area they won't take over Circuit City's old spot becaue they have a big store about a mile from it right off 355.

The only one in IL is that one.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
HHGregg may move into Illinois before the end of 2010.

So I really had no idea what HHGregg was (except for seeing it briefly mentioned previously on this site)... Well, I just hopped on their website and found out they have 2 locations here in Knoxville, which surprised the heck out of me. I think I may have to go in to one to see what they're all about.

Oh, and on the HHGregg website, it said they'll accept old Circuit City gift cards (for up to 20% of the total purchase), which is pretty cool. Not awesome if you have like a $100 gift card and want to buy something that's $100 b/c all you get towards the purchase is $20 off, but better than nothing.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
So I went, nothing special. They have people out there in the area holding up big signs saying "30% OFF" but you can't see unless you're right up on them the small thing that says "UP TO" before it. The stuff in the store was 10% off, who knows what the actual prices were before that, but I went in the store thinking I was gonna get 30% off on a 52" HDTV... yeah not so much. 10% isn't enough to make me buy something impulsively, I guess I'll wait until they start trying harder to get rid of stuff.

On a related note, I have NEVER seen so many people in that store before. It was like Black Friday.

I do a lot of tech buying for my church. I buy TVs, Computers, ext.... so, I'm kinda curious what i might be able to pic up. I too might wait and see what's left.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)

Well yes I can understand that too, there are 1-2 salesmen in my department who will definitely do that type of thing too. In general though I dont really push hard for hdmi cables just offer it to them and whatnot and for warranties, Sears atleast has a 1 year cancel for full refund and covers a lot more than manufacturers warranty... so I suggest it for 11 months atleast and than cancel if you want.