Contreras News

Steff

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9090020...ling-for-Hudson

Encouraging news for the White Sox: Right-hander Jose Contreras, recovering from a ruptured left Achilles tendon, has lost 25 pounds and already is throwing off a mound. Contreras was expected to miss at least nine months after undergoing surgery in August. His timetable could be accelerated.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news! Maybe Konerko can take the ball to first himself when Contreras is on the mound. Come on Paully. Pick the ball and jog a few steps to the bag instead of waiting to toss the ball to your pitcher sprinting towards first base and the oncoming runner. Sometimes that is the correct play, but Paul can take some of those himself. What would we do with a healthy Count, Colon, and Garcia? Buehrle has some experience out of the pen right?

QUOTE (Steff @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9090020...ling-for-Hudson

Encouraging news for the White Sox: Right-hander Jose Contreras, recovering from a ruptured left Achilles tendon, has lost 25 pounds and already is throwing off a mound. Contreras was expected to miss at least nine months after undergoing surgery in August. His timetable could be accelerated.

Wow, I'm really surprised that they are moving him that quickly. His rehab must be going really well.

Looks like he can be the 4-5 starter. Maybe this was part of KW plan for the experience in the back of the rotation.

Danks, Buerhle, Floyd, Colon, Contreras

if bartolo looks as good in 2009 as i've seen in some of the videos of him last year, and contreras makes a full recovery, what's not to like about our rotation?

Edited by joesaiditstrue

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 10:58 PM)
Wow, I'm really surprised that they are moving him that quickly. His rehab must be going really well.

Looks like he can be the 4-5 starter. Maybe this was part of KW plan for the experience in the back of the rotation.

I don't understand why you are so surprised. Everything I have read about the recovery process for non-athletes has him right on schedule. If anything I would say he's being cautious and taking it slow considering his physical condition is much better than then average person which generally means a faster injury recovery time.

QUOTE (Steff @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
I don't understand why you are so surprised. Everything I have read about the recovery process for non-athletes has him right on schedule. If anything I would say he's being cautious and taking it slow considering his physical condition is much better than then average person which generally means a faster injury recovery time.

Recovering from a ruptured achilles tendon is an extremely lengthy process. I speak from experience.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)
Recovering from a ruptured achilles tendon is an extremely lengthy process. I speak from experience.

From what I read I understand that. But nothing I read said it would take a year. I posted a link in the Colon thread that said that the average time before theraputic activity is resumed is 7 weeks from surgery. That would mean that Jose is 3 months into rehab. Being an athlete in peak physical condition I imagine his rehab would show positive results faster than a "normal" person so I don't find this surprising. How long did it take you?

In any event, it's great news.

if he recovers fully from this injury, i guess we then would need to shift our focus onto why he wasn't very good last year before the injury, and if that kind of performance will be the norm in 2009

i remember way early into the year in 2008, his fork ball was sick, it even had stoney salivating for a couple months, before it eventually became less sharp

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 11:39 PM)
if he recovers fully from this injury, i guess we then would need to shift our focus onto why he wasn't very good last year before the injury, and if that kind of performance will be the norm in 2009

i remember way early into the year in 2008, his fork ball was sick, it even had stoney salivating for a couple months, before it eventually became less sharp

Remember Opening Day 2007 ?

Chi White Sox IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

Contreras (L, 0-1) 1.0 7 8 7 1 1 1 63.00

QUOTE (Sec101Row1 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
Thats what I thought. I heard 1 year minimum.

That's what I had heard also but then I did some reading and found out that depending on the course of treatment as well as condition of the muscle that recovery for "normal" (meaning not professional athletes) people can be as short as 9 months.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 12:39 AM)

He was injured wasn't he? He was outstanding for the first 2 months then he started to suck and nobody knew why.

I think Jose will come back sometime in May or early June when the weather and conditions are ideal/perfect. They'll keep him in Arizona for extended spring training.

We now also have an insight into why KW hasn't spent money on the FA pitching market. He had reasons to be more optimistic than most of us were about Contreras coming back in 2009.

I actually think he might be better than a 4/5 guy...with that extra time of rest/relaxation for his arm, I expect that his fastball will be back at 94-95 MPH more consistently. That power fastball will help to better set up the forkball and offspeed stuff as well.

So what we've done is traded Javier Vazquez and his $11.5 million for Colon ($1-3 million), Flowers, Santos Rodriguez (power lefty), Gilmore, Lillibridge and IN ESSENCE, Marquez/Nunez/Viciedo/Betemit.

We can revisit the results after 2010 (LOL), but we've traded two players most Sox fans didn't even want on the team going into the offseason, and now have:

Colon and Marquez (two candidates for 4th/5th starter)

Flowers, hopefully our future All-Star catcher

Santos Rodriguez, a left hander with a lot potential

another Iowa kid who might turn out just as good as Sweeney (Gilmore)

Lillibridge (could be our starting CF, 2B, or SS)

Nunez (power righty out of the pen that KW thinks will have an impact)

Betemit (our supersub who will be much more cost-efficient than Punto or Uribe)

And taking Swisher off the payroll gave KW the flexibility to bring in Viciedo, who could have the biggest impact of all

We've gotten rid of 2 players we didn't want and replaced them with 9 players, and we've lowered our payroll at the same time...I think that's the mark of a GM that saw the future clouds rolling in and beat the market...now we'll see what the Yankees can get for Nady or Swisher! Not only that, but we now have 8 young/affordable players that fit better into our future and help refresh/revitalize our organization moving forward.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 02:35 AM)
I think Jose will come back sometime in May or early June when the weather and conditions are ideal/perfect. They'll keep him in Arizona for extended spring training.

We now also have an insight into why KW hasn't spent money on the FA pitching market. He had reasons to be more optimistic than most of us were about Contreras coming back in 2009.

I actually think he might be better than a 4/5 guy...with that extra time of rest/relaxation for his arm, I expect that his fastball will be back at 94-95 MPH more consistently. That power fastball will help to better set up the forkball and offspeed stuff as well.

So what we've done is traded Javier Vazquez and his $11.5 million for Colon ($1-3 million), Flowers, Santos Rodriguez (power lefty), Gilmore, Lillibridge and IN ESSENCE, Marquez/Nunez/Viciedo/Betemit.

We can revisit the results after 2010 (LOL), but we've traded two players most Sox fans didn't even want on the team going into the offseason, and now have:

Colon and Marquez (two candidates for 4th/5th starter)

Flowers, hopefully our future All-Star catcher

Santos Rodriguez, a left hander with a lot potential

another Iowa kid who might turn out just as good as Sweeney (Gilmore)

Lillibridge (could be our starting CF, 2B, or SS)

Nunez (power righty out of the pen that KW thinks will have an impact)

Betemit (our supersub who will be much more cost-efficient than Punto or Uribe)

And taking Swisher off the payroll gave KW the flexibility to bring in Viciedo, who could have the biggest impact of all

We've gotten rid of 2 players we didn't want and replaced them with 9 players, and we've lowered our payroll at the same time...I think that's the mark of a GM that saw the future clouds rolling in and beat the market...now we'll see what the Yankees can get for Nady or Swisher! Not only that, but we now have 8 young/affordable players that fit better into our future and help refresh/revitalize our organization moving forward.

I don't want to hear it. We stink. Kenny's not making any moves. Last place here we come!

This is good news. I don't think the sox will be counting on Contreras to be ready to start the year, though. They should take it slow with him, so he can be a big time factor in July and the 2nd half.

I still expect the sox to sign Freddy as well, to compete for the 4th / 5th spots.

*Worst case scenario--both Freddy and Colon get hurt before Contreras gets back. The sox have to make do with young starters.

*Best case scenario--Freddy and Colon are throwing well. Contreras looks great in AAA rehab. Marquez and Poreda also look ready to fill in at the 5th spot. The sox can trade either Freddy or Colon near the deadline for help/ prospects.

Either way, getting another SP in FG [probably cheaply like another Colon deal] can't hurt. It would just give the sox more SP options and could strenthen the bullpen by sliding a young arm from starting to the pen--Richard, maybe an Egbert.