Contreras News

Steff

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
Except he's slow as anything to home plate.

That, and the sox have talked about how long Jose takes to get warmed up, that the bullpen wasn't a great option for him in the past. But if he needs to go the bullpen to prolong his career, due to health concerns, he may have to.

QUOTE (Steff @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
I don't understand why you are so surprised. Everything I have read about the recovery process for non-athletes has him right on schedule. If anything I would say he's being cautious and taking it slow considering his physical condition is much better than then average person which generally means a faster injury recovery time.

The non-athlete part is why I'm surprised. For someone who isn't going to put a great deal of stress on it they can go faster. Someone who is going to be pushing off and stressing on it, they usually are much more conservative. Also, with his age and size, they is more stress on it.

It's good to see he is doing well it's just surprising and unusual to be this aggressive with a pro-athlete at his age and size.

QUOTE (Sec101Row1 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
Remember Opening Day 2007 ?

Chi White Sox IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

Contreras (L, 0-1) 1.0 7 8 7 1 1 1 63.00

Wow someone posts good news and people feel they need to s*** all over this team. Sometimes I really wonder why people even read this board. Although I suppose they tuned out the debacle that was last year and are now coming back to wonder why the payroll is not $200M.

If Contreras and Colon are healthy they will be in the rotation. The time off for his arm and body as well as the weight loss will only make him better and stronger. Although he did lose the only playoff game in 2005 so he must f***ing suck.

What was the difference between his and Mike Brown's injury? Wasn't Brown ready for training camp = 10 months and then 100%.

Jose is a physical speciman and was in shape therefore he was a tad ahead of the game in that regard. Remember it is also a contract year so he has additional incentive. Also maybe, just maybe he has the drive and desire to come back and is pushing hard for it........nah he sucks like everyhting else related to the White Sox and remeber he has to be 45 years old which is why he is sitting back couting his $10M. I am off to the Cub convention.

This is good news, I thought it'd take MUCH longer then this.

I think Contreras could be a legit option out of the pen. I don't think his arm can handle starting anymore, considering how his stuff has gotten continuously worse sine 06, and the best time I recall seeing him throw since 05 or 06 was when coming out of the pen.

Thanks for the link, Steff.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
Jose is an animal! Gotta love this guy. Say what you want about him being 274 years old, he is in outstanding physical condition.

Agreed. Even if he flames out this season, Jose will still be one of my all-time Sox faves. I love his toughness.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 06:06 AM)
That, and the sox have talked about how long Jose takes to get warmed up, that the bullpen wasn't a great option for him in the past. But if he needs to go the bullpen to prolong his career, due to health concerns, he may have to.

I can see Contreras staying with the Sox in a lesser capacity in '10, probably as a 6th starter-long reliever, depending on how he does in '09. It will be of utmost performance that the organization treats him with respect and dignity, regardless of how he performs. Our pipeline to JTorres/Cuba is alive and well, and the next defector or two we get will probably be pitchers who grew up idolizing Jose.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
Wow someone posts good news and people feel they need to s*** all over this team. Sometimes I really wonder why people even read this board. Although I suppose they tuned out the debacle that was last year and are now coming back to wonder why the payroll is not $200M.

If Contreras and Colon are healthy they will be in the rotation. The time off for his arm and body as well as the weight loss will only make him better and stronger. Although he did lose the only playoff game in 2005 so he must f***ing suck.

What was the difference between his and Mike Brown's injury? Wasn't Brown ready for training camp = 10 months and then 100%.

Jose is a physical speciman and was in shape therefore he was a tad ahead of the game in that regard. Remember it is also a contract year so he has additional incentive. Also maybe, just maybe he has the drive and desire to come back and is pushing hard for it........nah he sucks like everyhting else related to the White Sox and remeber he has to be 45 years old which is why he is sitting back couting his $10M. I am off to the Cub convention.

it was the same injury.

Being in good physical shape doesn't really matter in this type of injury. This isn't a joint rpoblem or a cartilage problem where the player has a surgery and it's just a matter of getting range of motion and strength back. for these problems the sronger you are before surgery the quicker you come back. This was a tendon repair where they had to stitch pieces of tendon together and allow them to heal before they could begin stretching or strengthening. It's usually 2-3 months before they even allow stretching which makes the muscle weaker. My best guess is that they used an augmentation device in the tendon and felt that it gave the tendon enough tensile strength to progress earlier and more aggressive.

this is a bonus for the Sox and should help solidify the rotation.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
it was the same injury.

Being in good physical shape doesn't really matter in this type of injury. This isn't a joint rpoblem or a cartilage problem where the player has a surgery and it's just a matter of getting range of motion and strength back. for these problems the sronger you are before surgery the quicker you come back. This was a tendon repair where they had to stitch pieces of tendon together and allow them to heal before they could begin stretching or strengthening. It's usually 2-3 months before they even allow stretching which makes the muscle weaker. My best guess is that they used an augmentation device in the tendon and felt that it gave the tendon enough tensile strength to progress earlier and more aggressive.

It was always assumed he would be in the bullpen when he came back. If he came back earlier, do you think starting and throwing more pitches putting more pressure on the tendon could cause a major setback? Its great for Jose to work hard and try to get back sooner, but isn't there a danger even if it feels well now that it is the wrong thing to do?

I have been one of Jose's biggest backers on this site, even when he was struggling. I think his rehab shows what kind of player he really is. I'm sure he has more than enough money to live the rest of his life pretty comfortably and he has another $10 million coming. There's really no telling how old he really is, so it would be easy for him to take a very conservate approach to rehab and if he couldn't pitch, he could just collect his paycheck and ride off into the sunset. He wants to earn his money. There is no substitution for pride.

QUOTE (Steff @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 05:22 AM)
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9090020...ling-for-Hudson

Encouraging news for the White Sox: Right-hander Jose Contreras, recovering from a ruptured left Achilles tendon, has lost 25 pounds and already is throwing off a mound. Contreras was expected to miss at least nine months after undergoing surgery in August. His timetable could be accelerated.

That is good news. The expereince and competitive spirit that Jose C brings is great for our pitching staff. Steff, I see in that same article that Ropsenthal says the Sox are willing o give Freddie G a chance at the rottaion also. What is the latests on that fellow if you know anything about it?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 06:28 PM)
I can see Contreras staying with the Sox in a lesser capacity in '10, probably as a 6th starter-long reliever, depending on how he does in '09. It will be of utmost performance that the organization treats him with respect and dignity, regardless of how he performs. Our pipeline to JTorres/Cuba is alive and well, and the next defector or two we get will probably be pitchers who grew up idolizing Jose.

He has too much pride to be a sixth starter

As I said earlier, with the extra rest for his arm, I think Jose has a really good chance to get his fastball back up in the 93-96 MPH range again...which will make his forkball the devastating weapon it was in 05/06 and for the first half of the 08 season until injuries took their toll and he tried to pitch through pain.

His inability to hold runners, slow delivery and the amount of time he takes to warm-up properly mitigate against any kind of bullpen move.

I think he might even end up pushing Floyd back to #5, along with Colon (if he's healthy/motivated).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steff @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
From what I read I understand that. But nothing I read said it would take a year. I posted a link in the Colon thread that said that the average time before theraputic activity is resumed is 7 weeks from surgery. That would mean that Jose is 3 months into rehab. Being an athlete in peak physical condition I imagine his rehab would show positive results faster than a "normal" person so I don't find this surprising. How long did it take you?

In any event, it's great news.

This is about the answer I woulda given. :P

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
it was the same injury.

The surgery doesn't repair the tendon. It just brings the ends of the tendons together and your body does the mending. And it isn't like a broken bone that heals in a few weeks. Takes a looong time. And in that time, there's muscle atrophy. Once it does heal, the tendon is stiff as hell and a lot of the rehab is stretching it back out and getting mobility back. Takes a good while before it feels "normal" again.

My concern for Contreras was his age, which has more to do with it than him being an athlete because your body repairs itself better when you're younger. And also, the stress that a pitching motion over and over throughout the course of a game puts on the tendon is more than what an "average" person is going to put on it.

But also, there's no doubt in my mind that he is getting the best treatment possible at a more accelerated pace. He undoubtedly spent a lot less time in a cast than others do and was put in a boot to allow for more motion as it is healing so that the muscle atrophy isn't as bad and range of motion comes back faster. And as pointed out above, I also believe he probably had some sort of sheath placed over the tendon to make it stronger and that probably aided in a faster recovery.

This is great news, I've always been a big fan of Contreras.

I also think that the time that he spent on the shelf due to his tendon also benefitted his arm due to the extra rest, so I think he'll be back all refreshed whenever he comes back in 2009.

Also, I agree with the posters about Contreras' slow delivery being a poor fit for the bullpen. If anything, if he's in the bullpen, then he might be better off as a longman or be called into the game when there's not any runners on base. But then again, his long warm-up process might make him more ideal as a starter despite the risk of him reinjuring his tendon.

With Colon and now the news of Contreras, I'm at least a little bit more excited about this season. Even if we don't do good, at least we'll end up with a higher draft pick.

Despite his big size, Contreras is a very humble person. I had spoken to several Cuban players such as him, Alexei, Kendry Morales and Juan Miranda. All of them were extremely humbled, but Contreras was the more friendlier of all. Kendry Morales came in a close second. I hope he can contribute this year and mentor young Dayan Viciedo if he makes the team. If anybody is interested in knowing why Jose Contreras is known as the Bronze Titan, you can read it here:

http://cubanballplayers.blogspot.com/

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
Just went online and got my spring training tickets -- hope to see the count there in phoenix.

If you take any pictures of Cuban players and like to share them with me for my blog, I will be very grateful. I'll give credit off course.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
If you take any pictures of Cuban players and like to share them with me for my blog, I will be very grateful. I'll give credit off course.

por su puesto!

I can't wait to see our latest addition from the Cuban nation. I'm surprised there isn't more buzz on this site today seeing as how tickets just went on sale. The new complex looks great.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
If it was the worst day of your life due to the results of a ballgame, count your blessings.

Especially when you consider it was game 1 of 162. Imagine what a performance like that in the playoffs would've done to her life?

Edited by Jordan4life