Contreras News

Steff

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
This is about the answer I woulda given. :P

The surgery doesn't repair the tendon. It just brings the ends of the tendons together and your body does the mending. And it isn't like a broken bone that heals in a few weeks. Takes a looong time. And in that time, there's muscle atrophy. Once it does heal, the tendon is stiff as hell and a lot of the rehab is stretching it back out and getting mobility back. Takes a good while before it feels "normal" again.

My concern for Contreras was his age, which has more to do with it than him being an athlete because your body repairs itself better when you're younger. And also, the stress that a pitching motion over and over throughout the course of a game puts on the tendon is more than what an "average" person is going to put on it.

But also, there's no doubt in my mind that he is getting the best treatment possible at a more accelerated pace. He undoubtedly spent a lot less time in a cast than others do and was put in a boot to allow for more motion as it is healing so that the muscle atrophy isn't as bad and range of motion comes back faster. And as pointed out above, I also believe he probably had some sort of sheath placed over the tendon to make it stronger and that probably aided in a faster recovery.

The stitches themselves are most likely degradable, however I'm willing to bet that they put a permanent augmentation device with it and that's why they were able to progress him at an accelerated rate. The repair term was meant surgically. When the two ends of the tendon are reconnected as well as the tendon sheath using stitches or other devices, it's usually referred to as repaired. Of course we can't repair tissue at a cellular level. We can only give the tissue the best environment for healing. This is the purpose of surgeries and rehab.

Unless it was a range of motion boot it is still immobilized. There is still atrophy.

The range of motion that the ankle needs to go through is a lot more than the average person needs the dorsiflexion or bringing the toes up, needs to be more than for a normal activity such as walking or even running and this puts a great deal of stress on the achiiles tendon.

The only sheath in the area is the tendon sheath. The achilles tendon is one of the tendons in the body that has it's own sheath. It must be sticthed up as well to maintain the nutirent flow.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
It was always assumed he would be in the bullpen when he came back. If he came back earlier, do you think starting and throwing more pitches putting more pressure on the tendon could cause a major setback? Its great for Jose to work hard and try to get back sooner, but isn't there a danger even if it feels well now that it is the wrong thing to do?

I have been one of Jose's biggest backers on this site, even when he was struggling. I think his rehab shows what kind of player he really is. I'm sure he has more than enough money to live the rest of his life pretty comfortably and he has another $10 million coming. There's really no telling how old he really is, so it would be easy for him to take a very conservate approach to rehab and if he couldn't pitch, he could just collect his paycheck and ride off into the sunset. He wants to earn his money. There is no substitution for pride.

i don;t think the amount he throws will make a difference. It's the range that is needed to accomplish the motion that puts the stress on the tendon.

As long as he has the range and strength and the medical staff feels the tendon has healed, you may as well let him throw.

I have confidence in the Sox physicians as well as Herm Schneider that they wouldn't do anything that would jeopardize his health. As long as I have known Herm he has never been more aggressive than the condition warranted.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)
The stitches themselves are most likely degradable, however I'm willing to bet that they put a permanent augmentation device with it and that's why they were able to progress him at an accelerated rate.

Unless it was a range of motion boot it is still immobilized. There is still atrophy.

The range of motion that the ankle needs to go through is a lot more than the average person needs the dorsiflexion or bringing the toes up, needs to be more than for a normal activity such as walking or even running and this puts a great deal of stress on the achiiles tendon.

The only sheath in the area is the tendon sheath. The achilles tendon is one of the tendons in the body that has it's own sheath. It must be sticthed up as well to maintain the nutirent flow.

duh, everybody knows that.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 10:05 PM)
The stitches themselves are most likely degradable, however I'm willing to bet that they put a permanent augmentation device with it and that's why they were able to progress him at an accelerated rate. The repair term was meant surgically. When the two ends of the tendon are reconnected as well as the tendon sheath using stitches or other devices, it's usually referred to as repaired. Of course we can't repair tissue at a cellular level. We can only give the tissue the best environment for healing. This is the purpose of surgeries and rehab.

Yeah, I was just adding to what you were saying in more layman's terms, and adding my own perspective since I'm familiar with the injury having gone through it myself, not disagreeing with you.

There's always immobilization, and, therefore, muscle atrophy. What I meant was there are varying degrees because there are different treatments. Some people spend a lot more time in a cast while others are put in a boot much earlier on. I'm sure professional athletes have a more aggressive rehab and, therefore, are put into a boot sooner than many.