Why aren't we pursuing O-dog?

soxfan3530

Saw this at mlbtraderumors.com:

Rosenthal notes that few teams have openly expressed interest in free agent second baseman Orlando Hudson and believes he could fall to the Nationals if large market teams give way.

Im curious why the sox arent pursuing hudson. I know we are trying to save money and have getz waiting, but if we can get him on the cheap somewhat, he would fill the leadoff role and fill a potential hole at second base. Thoughts?

Edited by soxfan3530

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
Why wouldn't we be pursuing Hudson? Injuries, money, age, Getz, Lillbridge, Nix, Beckham and Betemit. Not in that order.

All the logistical things could be solved if you envision Hudson as a future LF or Beckham as a future SS.

To me none of those other potential 2Bs are owed much, can all go down for all i care. i think next year should be a potential year to win.

The money thing could go away if Dye is dumped. To help the top of the order (and get some pitching for Dye) it would be worth it.

The Sox might reverse course and do this if 2 yrs is really on the table as the article contends.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 05:42 PM)
The biggest plus about Hudson is his infield defense.

If we're going to move him to the OF, he's a "marginal" liability or so-so at $8-10 million per season....better to get Chone Figgins at $5.75 mil if we plan on making Hudson a LF or CF so he can hit leadoff.

Hudson doesn't cost any players. Any hypothetical trade of Figgins would open another hole elsewhere, making it a pretty pointless move at this point.

But he (Hudson) does cost a #1 draft pick.

I'm not so sure KW wouldn't rather get Konerko's money off the book AND add Figgins (leaving the possibility of netting another #1 draft pick after 2009 or re-signing Figgins, like the Cabrera situation).

All things being equal, I think you're right, signing Hudson would be more helpful in the short-term, but trading Konerko for Figgins seems to be more of a "long term" foundational move that KW has been making now. I would much prefer to give up Konerko than Dye, because I think it would be easier to find a replacement at cheaper numbers at that position. Furthermore, you could always gamble that you would get better production with Abreu or Dunn at $10 million than Konerko, and also have Hudson probably. Interesting scenarios, neither which is likely to play out in all likelihood.

The Nationals seem to be the ticket destination for Hudson at this point in the proceedings.

The Orioles have their ears open Brian Roberts, whose trade value has diminished as he nears free agency. The White Sox can't afford him, the Braves are reluctant to give up talent, and the Cubs didn't discuss him in the Felix Pie talks. The Roberts market may improve once Orlando Hudson signs.

Rosenthal's source says the Michael Young-Jermaine Dye discussions did take place. If you read Dave van Dyck's article, Ken Williams never specifically denied talks with the Rangers. mlttraderumors.com

This whole thing about the White Sox not being able to afford him is getting irritating. I guess I was lulled into a false sense of security as a White Sox fan by our payrolls over the last 3 years and thought we were on our way to being a legitimate "big market" and not mid-market club. Oh, well.

Supposedly Dunn will be signing a contract for $5 million!!! Yet the number you keep hearing is that he's looking for $56 million and 4 years. It will be very interesting to see what the final numbers and length (if it's longer than one year) are.

Edited by caulfield12

• 3 weeks later...

Cafardo of the Boston Globe had this nugget that the Sox, Cubs and Dodgers are after Hudson. The Sox would seem in the best spot to add Hudson quicker than the other two, with the Cubs sale and the Dodgers looking to add their big bat, ala Manny first.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...t_go_by/?page=5

Even though Hudson would cost the sox a draft pick, the top of the order would be adressed.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
Cafardo of the Boston Globe had this nugget that the Sox, Cubs and Dodgers are after Hudson. The Sox would seem in the best spot to add Hudson quicker than the other two, with the Cubs sale and the Dodgers looking to add their big bat, ala Manny first.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...t_go_by/?page=5

Even though Hudson would cost the sox a draft pick, the top of the order would be adressed.

Depending on how Getz and Lillibridge look in spring training, O-Dog, according to a couple of reports, one being Steve Stone, may be looked at as a CF. Supposedly, Lillibridge can play CF, but Getz is an infielder. Hudson is probably a one year stop gap way below market value in preparation for Beckham. Come to think of it, I beleive if the White Sox sign Hudson, it would be specifically to play CF. Ozzie has already said Beckham will have to switch from being a SS because of Ramirez, so he most likely will be a 2B. Getz and Lillibridge and Nix probably don't have much of a long-term future with this team as anything but a utility player unless there's a major injury.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 08:57 PM)
Depending on how Getz and Lillibridge look in spring training, O-Dog, according to a couple of reports, one being Steve Stone, may be looked at as a CF. Supposedly, Lillibridge can play CF, but Getz is an infielder. Hudson is probably a one year stop gap way below market value in preparation for Beckham. Come to think of it, I beleive if the White Sox sign Hudson, it would be specifically to play CF. Ozzie has already said Beckham will have to switch from being a SS because of Ramirez, so he most likely will be a 2B. Getz and Lillibridge and Nix probably don't have much of a long-term future with this team as anything but a utility player unless there's a major injury.

I could see Hudson being moved to the OF. But he'd have to be in camp. Waiting too long and the sox would run out of options.

The sox seem really high on both Getz and Lillibridge. But putting either of them in the leadoff spot is asking for too much at the start of the season. With Hudson on board, the sox could move slower with Getz and Brent.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
Reason #1 is because we are going cheap.

$90+ Million is CHEAP?This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
$90+ Million is CHEAP? This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

you won't be around here long

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
I think Hudson could turn into one of those value deals that ends up being too good to pass up on. I'd love to get him at 4-5M per season and he might just be available for that.

Agreed. If the market gets to the point where he'll be at around $5M....and he agrees to play CF (which is the sticking point I'm not real sure he'd go for)...than it's a no-brainer. On the other hand...the guy seems a bit injury prone...so CF probably isn't the best place for him. Kind of a crapshoot IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
I believe we would lose our second round pick as well in that case.

Right, but the point is, Juan Cruz might not be worth losing a first rounder for some.... but a 2nd rounder especially late one is something id be willing to give up.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
I think Hudson could turn into one of those value deals that ends up being too good to pass up on. I'd love to get him at 4-5M per season and he might just be available for that.

Yeah my thoughts exactly.

I think the Sox would win the division if they signed O-Dog. I'm not sure if they can as currently constructed, but they have the potential to do so.

Excellent defensive 2nd baseman, would be a good leadoff hitter, he fills a lot of needs for this team right now.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
The real question is, if we sign Orlando Hudson and lose our first pick. Would that in effect make it worthwhile to sign Juan Cruz as well?

If the A's sign O-Cab anyways, we get 2 comp picks right?

Would make it more worth our while then to sign O-Dog then.

i dont belive that report, that were trying to get him. sure it makes sense but i really believe the sox when they say they think one of nix, lilli, and getz can take that job. and about the whole money issue. i just dont see it at all. i hope im wrong though.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
i dont belive that report, that were trying to get him. sure it makes sense but i really believe the sox when they say they think one of nix, lilli, and getz can take that job. and about the whole money issue. i just dont see it at all. i hope im wrong though.

Never believe what KW has to say :lolhitting

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
Never believe what KW has to say :lolhitting

i know how kw is. if he feels like theres something that makes sense as he loves to say, he will do it. i just dont feel good about this one though. imo i dont think lillibridge is ready to be the everyday 2b or leadoff guy and i dont think nix is any good and getz i dont know. hudson does solve a lot of problems