Closer - Bobby Jenks

Octavio Dotel

Scott Linebrink

Matt Thornton

D.J. Carrasco

Ehren Wasserman

Adam Russell

Kelvin Jimenez

I'm a little surprised that Betemit is penciled in at 3rd and that Anderson is penciled in at CF considering the organization's fetish for Owens. No chance of Marquez as a starter? I know that we still have a few months to go but with the way KW talks about Marquez you'd figure he'd be somewhere on the SP depth chart.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This really doesn't make much sense.

How can Marquez be off the board, and Contreras won't even pitch until May in the big leagues, if not June? How can anyone be behind Lance Broadway? Contreras shouldn't be listed at all until he's ready to pitch...as he's not relevant yet. As Ozzie said about Joe Crede last year, talk about players on the roster that can help today, not maybe, not in the future.

Jerry Owens will never, ever play RF for the White Sox, that's too funny. Shows the RF depth we have....which is really Carlos Quentin.

I don't think Nix should be ahead of Lillibridge at 2B either...this must simply be because Lillibridge hasn't played there very much recently, as he's perceived at this point in his career as more of a SS.

I would think that Link/Nunez/Wasserman/Russell/Jimenez are all about even for the last bullpen spot.

It shows you the ? surrounding the back-up catching position. Armstrong? Miller? Stewart? Flowers? (Of course Flowers will be in minors, but it would be interesting to see who KW felt was the favorite at this point in the offseason there).

And then Beckham hasn't been listed either, but that's certainly not a surprise.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
I'm a little surprised that Betemit is penciled in at 3rd and that Anderson is penciled in at CF considering the organization's fetish for Owens. No chance of Marquez as a starter? I know that we still have a few months to go but with the way KW talks about Marquez you'd figure he'd be somewhere on the SP depth chart.

I doubt there is anything 'official' about this list.

Probably just put together by some mlb.com employee.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
This really doesn't make much sense.

How can Marquez be off the board, and Contreras won't even pitch until May in the big leagues, if not June? How can anyone be behind Lance Broadway? Contreras shouldn't be listed at all until he's ready to pitch...as he's not relevant yet. As Ozzie said about Joe Crede last year, talk about players on the roster that can help today, not maybe, not in the future.

Is Marquez on the 40 man yet? He may not have started his arbitration clock yet, that might be why.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 11:43 PM)
I doubt there is anything 'official' about this list.

Probably just put together by some mlb.com employee.

QFT, this chart is derived from one of the mlb.com guys making an objective assessment this doesn’t come from the big guys upstairs. As for the real one I’d say we're looking at

C AJ, Stewart, Armstrong, Lucy

1b Konerko, Thome, Betemit, Fields

2b Getz, Lillibridge, Nix, Betemit, Ramirez

3b Fields, Betemit, Viciedo

SS Ramirez, Lillibridge, Betemit

RF Dye, Betemit, Q

CF Owens, BA, Lillibridge, Ramirez

LF Q, Wise, Betemit

DH Thome, Konerko, Fields

Buehrle

Floyd

Danks

Colon

Marquez/CR/AP, Contreras

Richard/Poreda

Russell

Carrasco

Thorton

Linebrink

Dotel

Jenks

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 09:00 AM)
What a surprise, you're usually so upbeat.

We'll win the division again, and go further in the playoffs.

Because this team is better than 2008 in what way? Vazquez, Orlando Cabrera, Crede pre-injury and Contreras pre-injury we're all pretty good and are being replaced by people that likely will not perform as well. And Owens will likely not be an improvement over 2008 Swisher.

Anything can happen in baseball, but I think saying the 2009 Sox are worse than 2008 is rational. And 4th place is more likely than getting to the ALCS.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
Link

Infielders

C - A.J. Pierzynski

1B - Paul Konerko - Wilson Betemit

2B - Chris Getz - Jayson Nix - Brent Lillibridge

SS - Alexei Ramirez - Brent Lillibridge

3B - Wilson Betemit - Josh Fields - Dayan Viciedo

LF - Carlos Quentin - Jerry Owens - DeWayne Wise

CF - Brian Anderson - Jerry Owens - DeWayne Wise

RF - Jermaine Dye - Jerry Owens

DH - Jim Thome

Starting Pitchers

#1. Mark Buehrle

#2. John Danks

#3. Gavin Floyd

#4. Bartolo Colon

#5. Clayton Richard

#6. Lance Broadway

#7. Jose Contreras

#8. Aaron Poreda

Relievers

Closer - Bobby Jenks

Octavio Dotel

Scott Linebrink

Matt Thornton

D.J. Carrasco

Ehren Wasserman

Adam Russell

Kelvin Jimenez

our team is looking great lol.... :gosox3:

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)
Because this team is better than 2008 in what way? Vazquez, Orlando Cabrera, Crede pre-injury and Contreras pre-injury we're all pretty good and are being replaced by people that likely will not perform as well. And Owens will likely not be an improvement over 2008 Swisher.

Anything can happen in baseball, but I think saying the 2009 Sox are worse than 2008 is rational. And 4th place is more likely than getting to the ALCS.

Resons why we'll be better in '09 - asked and answered.

- Vazquez was 4 games below .500 on a team that won 89. Colon may well be an upgrade.

- Alexei will be a contributor before mid-May.

- Danks and Floyd now have real confidence. Why do so many want to think their performance was a fluke, especially Floyd? The only thing I don't like about Gavin is his lousiness at holding runners. Count and Freddy remained effective despite this same glaring weakness.

- The bullpen should be augmented by an additional effective lefty in Poreda. Maybe another in Richard when Count returns.

- Crede's and Contreras' contributions were only in the first half, and Crede couldn't throw for s***, due to his bad back. Count will probably be there in the 2nd half this time.

- One of Getz OR Lillibridge OR Nix will likely be solid, probably Getz.

- The OC had a .334 OBP, AJ had a .312 OBP in the 2 hole, and Uribe had a .296 OBP in the 9 hole. Even if Owens plays a lot of the season (I'm guessing he'll get replaced), our sluggers will likely see more ducks on the pond.

- Q will be there for the playoffs this time.

- Josh Fields may well hit better than Crede, though his defense is shaky, granted. He'll be tradeable when Viciedo emerges.

- Konerko is likely to have a better year.

- Beckham and Viciedo will very possibly contribute in '09. Maybe in a very large way.

- Swisher won't be playing CF, at all. Owens' speed alone ( I know he blows) will make the OF defense somewhat better.

A lot of ?'s to be sure, and, believe me, Owens and Marquez do not instill ANY confidence in me, but we'll have better options soon enough.

Stan's Glass HALF FULL.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
our team is looking great lol.... :gosox3:

You have 1 position player, the 5th SP, the 4th and 5th OFs, and the back of the bullpen labeled there (not to mention that some of those excess starters are probably gonna end up in the bullpen).

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)

- Vazquez was 4 games below .500 on a team that won 89. Colon may well be an upgrade.

- Alexei will be a contributor before mid-May.

- Danks and Floyd now have real confidence. Why do so many want to think their performance was a fluke, especially Floyd? The only thing I don't like about Gavin is his lousiness at holding runners. Count and Freddy remained effective despite this same glaring weakness.

- The bullpen should be augmented by an additional effective lefty in Poreda. Maybe another in Richard when Count returns.

- Crede's and Contreras' contributions were only in the first half, and Crede couldn't throw for s***, due to his bad back. Count will probably be there in the 2nd half this time.

- One of Getz OR Lillibridge OR Nix will likely be solid, probably Getz.

- The OC had a .334 OBP, AJ had a .312 OBP in the 2 hole, and Uribe had a .296 OBP in the 9 hole. Even if Owens plays a lot of the season (I'm guessing he'll get replaced), our sluggers will likely see more ducks on the pond.

- Q will be there for the playoffs this time.

- Josh Fields may well hit better than Crede, though his defense is shaky, granted. He'll be tradeable when Viciedo emerges.

- Konerko is likely to have a better year.

- Beckham and Viciedo will very possibly contribute in '09. Maybe in a very large way.

- Swisher won't be playing CF, at all. Owens' speed alone ( I know he blows) will make the OF defense somewhat better.

A lot of ?'s to be sure, and, believe me, Owens and Marquez do not instill ANY confidence in me, but we'll have better options soon enough.

Stan's Glass HALF FULL.

That's a whole lot of iffs and prayers.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
You have 1 position player, the 5th SP, the 4th and 5th OFs, and the back of the bullpen labeled there (not to mention that some of those excess starters are probably gonna end up in the bullpen).

i think we have a hole at 2b, 3b, cf, 4th sp, 5th sp, a spot or 2 in the pen and i dont care too much for our bench( such as back up catcher)

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)

- Q will be there for the playoffs this time.- Josh Fields may well hit better than Crede, though his defense is shaky, granted. He'll be tradeable when Viciedo emerges.

thats not for sure

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
i think we have a hole at 2b, 3b, cf, 4th sp, 5th sp, a spot or 2 in the pen and i dont care too much for our bench( such as back up catcher)

thats not for sure

We don't have holes in those positions... we have unproven players.

There's a difference. For example...

Last year we started the season with similar 'holes' in LF, 2B, and both the #4/5 starters...

Because Quentin, Alexei, Danks, and Floyd were all unproven going into 2008.

Thank God we didn't go out and fill those 'holes' with over-priced POC free agents... and instead let the unproven players have a shot.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
That's a whole lot of iffs and prayers.

I prefer to stay positive. IMO KW has earned the benefit of the doubt in assembling the roster.

I really think that Slayer is on a super-fast track to MLB and will be brought up soon in '09. I just hope the brass doesn't get caught up in thinking he has too much power/not enough speed for leading off. If he shows enough patience (and he has shown patience), he could become a dynamic leadoff hitter, and I think this kid will thrive in the spotlight.

Looking at the CURRENT '09 projected lineup, I can understand some negativity. I really believe that the start the team gets in off to in April is crucial. But if we don't get buried early (and our schedule is more favorable early), we could be real good late.

I admit our rotation looks a lot better to me with a veteran as No. 4 starter.

Tell me ... can Colon pitch? Are you folks hopeful?

My other queston mark is Betemit. Again are you folks hopeful?

The lineup could go either way. It seems to me it's all on CQ and Lexi. We pretty much know what we are gonna get out of the big boppers. Can CQ and Lexi carry the club? Maybe.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
I admit our rotation looks a lot better to me with a veteran as No. 4 starter.

Tell me ... can Colon pitch? Are you folks hopeful?

My other queston mark is Betemit. Again are you folks hopeful?

The lineup could go either way. It seems to me it's all on CQ and Lexi. We pretty much know what we are gonna get out of the big boppers. Can CQ and Lexi carry the club? Maybe.

Colon looked pretty damn good at times last year, im hoping he is in even better shape.