Sox Fest Questions

tonyho7476

So I have a few questions. This is the first year I am going in a long time.

1. For autographs, I assume you pay per autograph, like at card shows. True? Are certain items more (baseball vs picture)?

2. Does the hotel package, standard package, get you anything special...like 1 free autograph? Or a reach-around from Ozzie? Anything?

3. Do they have areas to eat? Or will you need to leave soxfest?

4. Anything I should know that maybe I would not think of?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
So I have a few questions. This is the first year I am going in a long time.

1. For autographs, I assume you pay per autograph, like at card shows. True? Are certain items more (baseball vs picture)?

2. Does the hotel package, standard package, get you anything special...like 1 free autograph? Or a reach-around from Ozzie? Anything?

3. Do they have areas to eat? Or will you need to leave soxfest?

4. Anything I should know that maybe I would not think of?

1) autographs are free

2) Last year I received 4 tickets to a game w/ the welcome bag

3) there is a restaurant on the 1st floor, it's very expensive. go out to the ESPN Zone

4) Don't leave your cell phone on the Bar

QUOTE (Sec101Row1 @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
1) autographs are free

2) Last year I received 4 tickets to a game w/ the welcome bag

3) there is a restaurant on the 1st floor, it's very expensive. go out to the ESPN Zone

4) Don't leave your cell phone on the Bar

Cool...Palmer House has free parking for guests, right?

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
So, when you stayed there, where did you park? And what did it cost? I might cab it then.

/threadjack

Hey I was going to ask you how you've liked the XM/Sirius merger. Channel 53 is quickly become part of my regular rotation, but I am still exploring other Sirius channels.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
/threadjack

Hey I was going to ask you how you've liked the XM/Sirius merger. Channel 53 is quickly become part of my regular rotation, but I am still exploring other Sirius channels.

Its good...Im dissappointed that MLB home plate is not part of the 'best of' package. But since its not, I did not get it.

What is 53?

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
So, when you stayed there, where did you park? And what did it cost? I might cab it then.

I haven't stayed down there for 5-6 years, and everybody's rates are WAY up since then. It seems like the hotel guest rate was something like $15, but I am honestly not sure anymore. I would budget $25 or $30 if you park at the hotel lot. Depending on where you are coming from, public transit to the area is awesome. You can get to that area on just about any bus or train, with a minimal walk afterwards.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
I haven't stayed down there for 5-6 years, and everybody's rates are WAY up since then. It seems like the hotel guest rate was something like $15, but I am honestly not sure anymore. I would budget $25 or $30 if you park at the hotel lot. Depending on where you are coming from, public transit to the area is awesome. You can get to that area on just about any bus or train, with a minimal walk afterwards.

I'm coming 20 minutes from the west and public transportation doesn't work well from where I am. I can handle 15-20 bucks for the weekend.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
I'm coming 20 minutes from the west and public transportation doesn't work well from where I am. I can handle 15-20 bucks for the weekend.

Thats $20 per day in the old Marshall Fields garage about 2 blocks south. Valet was $25

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
hey let me know if I win the season tickets raffle.

This is Chicago. You need to be a Friend or Relative of the guy drawing names out of the hat. Just kidding. If I hear bmags, I'll PM you.

QUOTE (Sec101Row1 @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
This is Chicago. You need to be a Friend or Relative of the guy drawing names out of the hat. Just kidding. If I hear bmags, I'll PM you.

The sox got this thing, and it's [bleeping] golden, and they aren't just going to give it up for [bleeping] nothing.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
The event totally caters to those people staying at the hotel. One HUGE advantage (at least in past) is that you can line up for autographs earlier than those not staying at the hotel.

They should cater to me...I spent too much money on this.

The event totally caters to those people staying at the hotel. One HUGE advantage (at least in past) is that you can line up for autographs earlier than those not staying at the hotel.

This is true. Guests staying at the hotel in the past have started to line-up for autographs as early as 1:30-2:00am. Kinda makes you wonder what u paid $250 a night for with the room. It would be a lot more organized if they ran this like the Cubs convention (yes, they do one thing better than us) where they give random specific autograph wristbands upon entry. Another great way to handle things, though it would be too easy, is to handle it like the Braves....

$20 DONATION GETS A CHANCE FOR ALL AUTOGRAPHS

Don't miss the chance to meet Braves players, coaches and alumni

and wish them luck for the upcoming 2009 season. With a $20 donation

to the Atlanta Braves Foundation you'll be able to meet your favorite

Braves players and get autographs. All proceeds benefit the Atlanta

Braves Foundation.

Not only would this avoid all the confusion all weekend mostly from White Sox employees, but it might even make a step in the right direction to making the fest a fun atmosphere for fans again instead of people running all over and up and down fire escapes to try and make the capacity for a seminar or autograph line.

Anyone can get in line. It's obviously easier for those staying there. I wish they had a better system for them. Like at check in you get a wristband and have 2 signings right after the other. 1 for hotel guests and 1 for daily guests. It wouldn't kill those guys to sign a bit longer but that's another argument.

Tony I think it's $25 a night for hotel guests. And don't bother yelling at the Hilton. It's not their garage. I'm sure Standard Parking has a complaint line though.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
I can't believe people would wait in line all night for autographs. To people who love autographs I am wondering, what do you do with them? Sell or keep? Not flaming, just wondering. I've never been an autograph guy.

I love me an autograph or some memorabilia, and for the most part just collect for my own personal sports room/display. I don't like to wait for players after games or stalk them out during BP, so this is the perfect type of platform for the casual collector. Since the WS, I pretty much have every starter on a separate official WS ball. Not that I would ever wait up all night long for an autograph or a picture though. Soxfest does have its fair share of dealers and money-hungry ebay sellers though that use the autos for immediate turn-around and profit. Last year Bobby Jenks was sold-out of wristbands before the doors were even officially open to the public. They had to let people in early because there was too many people waiting in lobbys and started to give out wristbands at 8am. It almost becomes somewhat of a comical and competitive thing at Soxfest though to get these autograph wristbands, they take a life of their own... once a line for a specific signing fills up, they'll just start dishing out wristbands for the next one... so the early birds definitely tend to get more worms.

QUOTE (Steff @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
Anyone can get in line. It's obviously easier for those staying there. I wish they had a better system for them. Like at check in you get a wristband and have 2 signings right after the other. 1 for hotel guests and 1 for daily guests. It wouldn't kill those guys to sign a bit longer but that's another argument.

Tony I think it's $25 a night for hotel guests. And don't bother yelling at the Hilton. It's not their garage. I'm sure Standard Parking has a complaint line though.

Sox Fest should be about player accessibility. Every player should be available for a full 3 days of hand shaking, picture taking and autograph signing. Players can clear one weekend during their off season for the fans. I'd go back if it was set up that way. The clinics, the former players and all the crap that's for sale is of no interest to me.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 12:36 AM)
Sox Fest should be about player accessibility. Every player should be available for a full 3 days of hand shaking, picture taking and autograph signing. Players can clear one weekend during their off season for the fans. I'd go back if it was set up that way. The clinics, the former players and all the crap that's for sale is of no interest to me.

Actually that means the Sox are hitting all of their fan bases, not just the 16-35 year old male. The clinics are for the kids, in an attempt to build the next generation of White Sox fans, and the former players are for the fan who remembers those guys. Its a great way of reaching out across all ages of Sox fans.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 07:49 AM)
Yeah but it used to be so much better-at least after standing in line 3 hours, the players would lean over and take a picture with you-it was at least a little fan friendly

Just not worth it now.

I was under the impression that it had gotten better after moving to a smaller venue with less people being involved. Is it worse now than at the Hyatt?