Sox Fest Questions

tonyho7476

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 07:49 AM)
Yeah but it used to be so much better-at least after standing in line 3 hours, the players would lean over and take a picture with you-it was at least a little fan friendly

Just not worth it now.

They will sign 2 items and take a picture so I'm not sure what you are referring to. That's part of the reason for all the complaining about cutting the wristbands down but the time in line went up.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 12:36 AM)
Sox Fest should be about player accessibility. Every player should be available for a full 3 days of hand shaking, picture taking and autograph signing. Players can clear one weekend during their off season for the fans. I'd go back if it was set up that way. The clinics, the former players and all the crap that's for sale is of no interest to me.

I agree about accessibility. If you're there be there 100%. Every player.. would be nice but not realistic. By their logic they only have 4 (or 3 depending on their workout schedules) months of free weekends to spend with their families, go on vacations, etc, etc and the rest of the time they spend entertaining us. Obviously some don't mind it. But from the lack of participation - or the half assed attempts - it seems that most don't care to give up the weekend. And I understand where you're coming from but the clinics for kids are the biggest draws. Maybe when you have some you'll feel different :-)

QUOTE (Steff @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
They will sign 2 items and take a picture so I'm not sure what you are referring to. That's part of the reason for all the complaining about cutting the wristbands down but the time in line went up.

This sounds pretty good...hopefully the economy will keep people away and the lines won't be too bad. At least I hope.

QUOTE (Steff @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)
I agree about accessibility. If you're there be there 100%. Every player.. would be nice but not realistic. By their logic they only have 4 (or 3 depending on their workout schedules) months of free weekends to spend with their families, go on vacations, etc, etc and the rest of the time they spend entertaining us. Obviously some don't mind it. But from the lack of participation - or the half assed attempts - it seems that most don't care to give up the weekend. And I understand where you're coming from but the clinics for kids are the biggest draws. Maybe when you have some you'll feel different :-)

The last time I went, I took three boys with me and all they wanted was to meet players and get autographs....but I see your point.

Looks like interest isn't waning. From the Tribune:

White Sox representatives say a small number of hotel packages and three-day (with hotel reservations) and two-day passes are available for SoxFest this weekend.

Friday night is exclusive for Palmer House Hilton guests. Single-day passes for Saturday and Sunday are sold out.

Hotel rooms can be booked online through Tuesday. The White Sox say the number of hotel rooms and weekend passes has been increased and they expect to at least match 2008's attendance.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 25, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
Agh. I suppose I did not win.

WHITE SOX 2009 SPLIT SEASON TICKETS SWEEPSTAKES

Is being a White Sox season ticket holder on your New Year’s resolution list? Now’s your chance to enter the White Sox 2009 Split Season Ticket Sweeps for the opportunity to WIN two split-season tickets for exciting White Sox Baseball in 2009!

Two (2) winners will enjoy a pair of Lower Box, 27-game ticket plans - one winner will receive a Hit and Run (weekday) plan, and the other will receive a Double Play (weekend) plan.

Entry for this one-of-a-kind sweepstakes ends on Tuesday, January 20, so enter today!

I guess nobody won. Maybe they did away with this and will use the money on a CF'er.

QUOTE (Sec101Row1 @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 05:34 PM)
WHITE SOX 2009 SPLIT SEASON TICKETS SWEEPSTAKES

Is being a White Sox season ticket holder on your New Year’s resolution list? Now’s your chance to enter the White Sox 2009 Split Season Ticket Sweeps for the opportunity to WIN two split-season tickets for exciting White Sox Baseball in 2009!

Two (2) winners will enjoy a pair of Lower Box, 27-game ticket plans - one winner will receive a Hit and Run (weekday) plan, and the other will receive a Double Play (weekend) plan.

Entry for this one-of-a-kind sweepstakes ends on Tuesday, January 20, so enter today!

I guess nobody won. Maybe they did away with this and will use the money on a CF'er.

Maybe they just didn't announce it yet?

Wow I can't wait to see Brett Lillibridge, Chris Getz, Brian Anderson, Josh Fields, Jeff Marquez..I mean seriously should I keep going..This is by far going to be the worst soxfest that I have been to since I started going..Pathetic!

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
Wow I can't wait to see Brett Lillibridge, Chris Getz, Brian Anderson, Josh Fields, Jeff Marquez..I mean seriously should I keep going..This is by far going to be the worst soxfest that I have been to since I started going..Pathetic!

go to Charlotte if you want to see them

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
It's called sarcasm...

I didn't know soxfest was in Charlotte this year?

I honestly thought for a moment that they were not there. Did not realize they were attending. But honestly, what's there to complain about? 8/10 of the top players on the roster will be there. I guess you must be b****ing about former players not really attending. Out of all the years I attended I never noticed too many former players. This years roster seems as good as most years. It's the organization of the even I'm worried about.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
I honestly thought for a moment that they were not there. Did not realize they were attending. But honestly, what's there to complain about? 8/10 of the top players on the roster will be there. I guess you must be b****ing about former players not really attending. Out of all the years I attended I never noticed too many former players. This years roster seems as good as most years. It's the organization of the even I'm worried about.

The Twins had every member of their 40 man roster attend their fest. It could be a nice thing for players guaranteed to make millions in this economy to make an effort and take a weekend and devote it to the fans. AJP won't be there because he's too busy going to the Super Bowl. I like AJ, but that is BS.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
The Twins had every member of their 40 man roster attend their fest. It could be a nice thing for players guaranteed to make millions in this economy to make an effort and take a weekend and devote it to the fans. AJP won't be there because he's too busy going to the Super Bowl. I like AJ, but that is BS.

It's not BS. He's obligated to play 162 games if healthy. Soxfest should not be an obligation(especially on Super Bowl Weekend). I would go to the Superbowl too, most of the time.

So the Twins did 1 thing right. Well, let's just say I'm still happy I did not choose to be a Twins fan.

**IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING WRISTBANDS FOR AUTOGRAPHS**

SoxFest 2009 - Autograph Session Wristband Policy

• To assist with crowd flow at SoxFest, colored wristbands will be utilized for each autograph session (a different color for every session).

• The number of wristbands for each session will correspond with the number of autographs listed in the program for each session.

• Wristbands will be issued at each autograph booth on a first-come, first-serve basis for each session.

• Wristband distribution for future autograph sessions will begin when the line for the preceding session has reached capacity.

• To enable the greatest number of SoxFest guests the opportunity to obtain an autograph, only one wristband may be obtained per guest at any one time. Multiple wristbands will not be issued to any one guest.

• Guests with more than one wristband at one time will be denied autograph privileges and all wristbands will be removed by a White Sox representative.

• Once a guest receives a wristband, he/she may not obtain a wristband for an additional session until they have received an autograph from the current session and a White Sox representative has removed their wristband.

• Wristbands will be removed by a White Sox representative upon arrival at the specific autograph booth. Guests are welcome to try for another wristband for a different autograph session once the first band is removed by a staff member.

• The correct colored wristband will be needed in order to access an autograph line.

• Guests with a wristband for any particular session must be in line no later than 30 minutes after the start time of the autograph session to be guaranteed an autograph.

• The transferring of wristbands, along with line jumping will result in loss of all autograph privileges.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Also Tony, you can park at USCF for free and take the train starting at noon Friday.

I will say this much. I hate dealing with the general public. I love my job because I don't deal with them, and instead answer their questions through our company's support staff. The thing is that our job is to directly take care of customer problems. For a professional athlete they don't have any legitimate reason to be doing this event, other than as a give back to the general public and the fans.

I can't imagine having half of the expectations in a job, as are expected out of professional athletes. Not only are they expected to go 4-4 with 4 grand slams, or pitch a no hitter every time they go out there, but they are expected to sign for all 40,000 people at the game, and take pictures for all of them. I know people are paying to go the fest, and it would be nice to get every single pic and autograph you could want, but these guys are humans too! They would like to be able to spend time doing what they enjoy, instead of having each person in attendance feel like they are due a personal favor from each member of the organization. In the big picture, each of these guys, who already spends a solid eight months a year away from home, is giving up another long weekend out of their ever shorter off season for this event. When they get harassed even outside of the parameters of the event, it makes them want even less to come back. I remember the year after the World Series seeing people follow Brandon McCarthy into the bathroom and asking him for autographs while taking a s***. Seriously. I wouldn't want to put up with that either if I was one of those guys. Put yourself into their shoes for a bit and think about what it would be like to get harassed every single second you weren't locked into your hotel room for an entire three day weekend. I doubt many here would be as gracious as the member's of the White Sox organization have been to their fans over the years that I have seen at Soxfest.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)

It's their fault for scheduling it on super bowl sunday. If a guy wants to miss because of that, so be it.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Steff @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
**IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING WRISTBANDS FOR AUTOGRAPHS**

SoxFest 2009 - Autograph Session Wristband Policy

• To assist with crowd flow at SoxFest, colored wristbands will be utilized for each autograph session (a different color for every session).

• The number of wristbands for each session will correspond with the number of autographs listed in the program for each session.

• Wristbands will be issued at each autograph booth on a first-come, first-serve basis for each session.

• Wristband distribution for future autograph sessions will begin when the line for the preceding session has reached capacity.

• To enable the greatest number of SoxFest guests the opportunity to obtain an autograph, only one wristband may be obtained per guest at any one time. Multiple wristbands will not be issued to any one guest.

• Guests with more than one wristband at one time will be denied autograph privileges and all wristbands will be removed by a White Sox representative.

• Once a guest receives a wristband, he/she may not obtain a wristband for an additional session until they have received an autograph from the current session and a White Sox representative has removed their wristband.

• Wristbands will be removed by a White Sox representative upon arrival at the specific autograph booth. Guests are welcome to try for another wristband for a different autograph session once the first band is removed by a staff member.

• The correct colored wristband will be needed in order to access an autograph line.

• Guests with a wristband for any particular session must be in line no later than 30 minutes after the start time of the autograph session to be guaranteed an autograph.

• The transferring of wristbands, along with line jumping will result in loss of all autograph privileges.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Still no changes=Disaster. You'd think they would learn a thing or two. For those who are going for the first time, and obviously the autograph schedule is not out yet, but lets say Big Jim is signing at 2:30p with a couple of sessions before him... plan on getting over to that line for a bracelet at 10am. People will always try the same shenanigans with this system.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
Still no changes=Disaster. You'd think they would learn a thing or two. For those who are going for the first time, and obviously the autograph schedule is not out yet, but lets say Big Jim is signing at 2:30p with a couple of sessions before him... plan on getting over to that line for a bracelet at 10am. People will always try the same shenanigans with this system.

What are the shenanigans?

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
What are the shenanigans?

cheating.... It's not hard to obtain more than one wristband at once. I've seen kids from age 5 to 55 do this.

People will also "camp" out all day in front of a specific room until they start handing out wristbands for the player they most want to see. Like I was saying last year, wristbands for Jenks and Konerko were gone before the show even officially opened to the public on Saturday (they had to let some people in because it was too crowded in the hallways and staircases from people waiting all night)

Edited by watchtower41