Sox Fest Questions

tonyho7476

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
Still no changes=Disaster. You'd think they would learn a thing or two. For those who are going for the first time, and obviously the autograph schedule is not out yet, but lets say Big Jim is signing at 2:30p with a couple of sessions before him... plan on getting over to that line for a bracelet at 10am. People will always try the same shenanigans with this system.

No changes? You can only have 1 wristband at a time. That's a significant change.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
The Twins had every member of their 40 man roster attend their fest. It could be a nice thing for players guaranteed to make millions in this economy to make an effort and take a weekend and devote it to the fans. AJP won't be there because he's too busy going to the Super Bowl. I like AJ, but that is BS.

And Thome didn't make it a previous year because of a family wedding. Is that BS, too? They devote 8 months of their lives a year to the fans. Some do more, some don't. AJ was there on crutches when he likely should have been home on the couch. I know, I know... "what have you don't for me lately...."

QUOTE (Steff @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
And Thome didn't make it a previous year because of a family wedding. Is that BS, too? They devote 8 months of their lives a year to the fans. Some do more, some don't. AJ was there on crutches when he likely should have been home on the couch. I know, I know... "what have you don't for me lately...."

Family obligations are one thing. I wouldn't expect Thome to try to have a relative's wedding date changed or for him to miss it, but the Super Bowl? They can fly in on Friday and leave Sunday afternoon. Its a 48 hour commitment. AJP could come in on Friday and leave Saturday evening and still be at the SB. Its pretty funny after games when a lot of these guys are out partying instead of going home to their families considering how important it is to be with them in January. They get plenty of time off. What if they all decided they have something better to do than go to Soxfest? If there are people willing to stand in line for 4 or 5 or even more hours to have you sign something, and personally I don't see the appeal, but to each his/her own, and I'm making enough money every year to live the rest of my life because of them, I think I could take 2 or 3 days in January and sign some things, perhaps watch the Super Bowl on TV. After all, I will have all the time and money I will ever need in a few years and can go to every SB until I die.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
Family obligations are one thing. I wouldn't expect Thome to try to have a relative's wedding date changed or for him to miss it, but the Super Bowl? They can fly in on Friday and leave Sunday afternoon. Its a 48 hour commitment. AJP could come in on Friday and leave Saturday evening and still be at the SB. Its pretty funny after games when a lot of these guys are out partying instead of going home to their families considering how important it is to be with them in January. They get plenty of time off. What if they all decided they have something better to do than go to Soxfest? If there are people willing to stand in line for 4 or 5 or even more hours to have you sign something, and personally I don't see the appeal, but to each his/her own, and I'm making enough money every year to live the rest of my life because of them, I think I could take 2 or 3 days in January and sign some things, perhaps watch the Super Bowl on TV. After all, I will have all the time and money I will ever need in a few years and can go to every SB until I die.

Out of curiousity how often you do give a full three day weekend to those way less fortunate than you? Their station in life compared to ours, isn't much different than our station in life compared to someone who is say homeless, or even worse, compared to someone in a refugee camp or starving in a third world country. I just don't get the expectation that because we see pay to see them play a sport better than anyone else in the world, they somehow also owe us large chunks of their personal life and time. I don't expect anyone else successful to give up parts of their life to satisfy me, why should they?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
Out of curiousity how often you do give a full three day weekend to those way less fortunate than you? Their station in life compared to ours, isn't much different than our station in life compared to someone who is say homeless, or even worse, compared to someone in a refugee camp or starving in a third world country. I just don't get the expectation that because we see pay to see them play a sport better than anyone else in the world, they somehow also owe us large chunks of their personal life and time. I don't expect anyone else successful to give up parts of their life to satisfy me, why should they?

For the past 15 years you will find me serving Thanksgiving lunch and Christmas lunch for less fortunate people at a church by my home. I must admit I initially started doing it to get out of something, but it was a lot of fun. Its also nice helping people who are always last in line in life, and treating them with kindness and respect. They probably are the most grateful people in the world. If you dig hard enough, you will see I donated dozens of Bulls (when I used to get them) and White Sox tickets to less fortunate people. 48 hours of their time, probably more like 4 or 5 hours signing autographs, the other time they can go sit in their rooms is hardly asking for much considering what they get. As I've stated before, I'm not going to this event and wouldn't even if the entire roster was there, but they are employees of the White Sox. I would think, with all the riches that come with being just that, a weekend in January to make a couple thousand of their fans and customers happy would be the least you can do. As I've stated, there are plenty of legitimate excuses not to be there, but going to the SB isn't one in my mind, and I like AJP.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
For the past 15 years you will find me serving Thanksgiving lunch and Christmas lunch for less fortunate people at a church by my home. I must admit I initially started doing it to get out of something, but it was a lot of fun. Its also nice helping people who are always last in line in life, and treating them with kindness and respect. They probably are the most grateful people in the world. If you dig hard enough, you will see I donated dozens of Bulls (when I used to get them) and White Sox tickets to less fortunate people. 48 hours of their time, probably more like 4 or 5 hours signing autographs, the other time they can go sit in their rooms is hardly asking for much considering what they get. As I've stated before, I'm not going to this event and wouldn't even if the entire roster was there, but they are employees of the White Sox. I would think, with all the riches that come with being just that, a weekend in January to make a couple thousand of their fans and customers happy would be the least you can do. As I've stated, there are plenty of legitimate excuses not to be there, but going to the SB isn't one in my mind, and I like AJP.

I am glad to see it in your case. :cheers

I would be willing to bet about 95% of the people complaining don't have anything near that amount of perspective. Like I said it is nice that they do it, but I also understand them having other things to do.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 09:15 AM)
Hey oh....do you need wristbands too? Do you take your own photo? Or do they take it and charge you for it?

Yes, you need wristbands for these sessions as well.... though these are not as precious as the auto wristbands, nevertheless, for the more popular players, the wristbands will all be allocated. There is no additional charge, a staff member takes a photo with you and the player with your own camera.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)
How many autographs per wristband?

Just 1 auto per wristband. Years ago you could get a couple of autographs take your photo with the player, now they move you along fast. FYI, I was at the Palmer House yesterday, the place looks great, the construction is complete. The snack/gift shop on the first floor was gone.

Wow...what a ratrace! I hustled though and got a bunch of autographs...Dye, Alexei, Ozzie, Floyd, Danks, Quentin...pictures with a bunch of them. I will post some later. Couple quick observations.

1. A lot of people at this were absolute weirdos.

2. A lot of people were fun to talk to about the team.

3. People ask horrible questions in the QA.