Sox in WBC; Danks Declines

Cali

Let's call the WBC what it is...it's an international marketing tool. It's not for the US or most Americans. If there are some Americans that are into it, go for it. That's your prerogative. But don't try to throw it down people's throats that they're bad Americans if they don't give a s*** about this thing.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
Let's call the WBC what it is...it's an international marketing tool. It's not for the US or most Americans. If there are some Americans that are into it, go for it. That's your prerogative. But don't try to throw it down people's throats that they're bad Americans if they don't give a s*** about this thing.

No one said you're not patriotic if you don't like this thing. What I and everyone else is arguing is the importance of the WBC being lower than that of Spring Training. No one said, "OMG, you are so Un-American." It's more like, "How can you be mad or not want someone to represent their country because you think they somehow have a greater chance of injuring themselves playing the same sport they would be playing in Spring Training.

I find it ironic that Americans are constantly criticized for their 'jingoism' when they chant USA USA USA at the Olympics, and now we are getting ripped for not caring about the results of a marketing driven tournament. The WBC is inherently flawed due to the time of year it is played. This time of year was chosen because they don't want to interrupt the season of --- heaven forbid, a domestic league --- and the fact that baseball fans are hungry for baseball after going without it for months. If this thing followed the World Series, when all the players were still sharp, in shape and rested, then the best baseball would be played at that time. However, after the Series, no one would watch.

Nobody has any logical right to question my patriotism or national pride based on my views of this joke of a tourney. That would be as ridiculous as the WBC is.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 08:02 PM)
I'll put country pride when it matters. I'm not actively rooting for the US chess team just because the rep. the US. The WBC is boring. I root for the US in all the olympics and in the world cup because those are cool longlasting traditions that people get behind and they matter. The WBC is just made up because they think there was a demand for it when there wasn't...like womens softball.

Women's softball and chess...2 very popular sports. Great example.

You contradict yourself so much in this post.

You say you don't root for US chess. Does that mean no one does? So people who love chess and play it competitively shouldn't watch it and root for their country? Of course you wouldn't root for US chess, because you don't give a s*** about chess. Others do, so they root. Ditto softball.

Then you mention the longlasting traditions of the Olympics and the World Cup...I suppose those were never new sporting events like the WBC. So by your standards, the Olympics and the World Cup were once "just made up" and didn't matter.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
I find it ironic that Americans are constantly criticized for their 'jingoism' when they chant USA USA USA at the Olympics, and now we are getting ripped for not caring about the results of a marketing driven tournament. The WBC is inherently flawed due to the time of year it is played. This time of year was chosen because they don't want to interrupt the season of --- heaven forbid, a domestic league --- and the fact that baseball fans are hungry for baseball after going without it for months. If this thing followed the World Series, when all the players were still sharp, in shape and rested, then the best baseball would be played at that time. However, after the Series, no one would watch.

Nobody has any logical right to question my patriotism or national pride based on my views of this joke of a tourney. That would be as ridiculous as the WBC is.

Why does it have to follow the World Series? What makes the United States the king of the baseball world and have to make it go according to their schedule? Sure, they have the biggest and most competitive domestic league, but that's exactly what the WBC is supposed to do.

Let's take a look at when some other international competitions are held:

FIFA World Cup: Mid-Summer, middle of the off-season for most football teams (during the MLS season because the US is the only country that plays in the summer).

FIBA World Championships: late July/August/early September, middle of the NBA off-season.

Olympics: Mid/late summer, off-season for basketball players, soccer players, hockey players, etc.

WBC: March, during Spring Training of the MLB season.

Hmm, so clearly having it right after the MLB season would make it better.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 10:13 PM)
money

You nailed it with one word. This was a Bud Selig invention. The owners are not going to allow the season to be interupted for this, so it it either has to occur right after the Series or before/during spring training. If it happens after the Series, no one pay attention at all, therefore it happens in the early spring. Which, because guys are rusty and pitchers' arms aren't ready, leaves something to be desired in terms of quality baseball. That's why this thing is a farce and I won't lose one minute sleep about the results.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
You nailed it with one word. This was a Bud Selig invention. The owners are not going to allow the season to be interupted for this, so it it either has to occur right after the Series or before/during spring training. If it happens after the Series, no one pay attention at all, therefore it happens in the early spring. Which, because guys are rusty and pitchers' arms aren't ready, leaves something to be desired in terms of quality baseball. That's why this thing is a farce and I won't lose one minute sleep about the results.

Apparently you didn't read my earlier post about the timing of other international events.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 08:07 PM)
Why does it have to follow the World Series? What makes the United States the king of the baseball world and have to make it go according to their schedule? Sure, they have the biggest and most competitive domestic league, but that's exactly what the WBC is supposed to do.

What makes it king....the fact that 98% of the best players in the world all play in that domestic league. Thats what makes it king.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
What makes it king....the fact that 98% of the best players in the world all play in that domestic league. Thats what makes it king.

You could argue the same thing about the NBA and about soccer.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)

What makes it not King? The fact that not all the best players come from the US. I still don't understand how other sports couldn't be compared to baseball. Again, the best players in baseball want to compete, therefore they should and they are. They are not made to and there are people who do decline, just like Danks.

And like SoxFan said, at one time the Olympics and World Cup were new events to.

SMH at some people here.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
You could argue the same thing about the NBA and about soccer.

Except the NBA is much different in the sense that the extended season (ie, tournaments) won't impact there future days unless they are battling an injury. Where as in baseball, pitchers are a very unique position which couldn't handle a ton of additional work.

It would be like there being an international football tournament after months of rest. You just couldn't do it and have it be that great (this is besides the fact that football is pretty much US only).

Plus it's much easier to have a team of 10-13 guys travel and practice together since basketball players don't have the extended off-seasons that baseball players due (due to the grueling nature of the baseball season).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 02:28 PM)
Except the NBA is much different in the sense that the extended season (ie, tournaments) won't impact there future days unless they are battling an injury. Where as in baseball, pitchers are a very unique position which couldn't handle a ton of additional work.

It would be like there being an international football tournament after months of rest. You just couldn't do it and have it be that great (this is besides the fact that football is pretty much US only).

Plus it's much easier to have a team of 10-13 guys travel and practice together since basketball players don't have the extended off-seasons that baseball players due (due to the grueling nature of the baseball season).

Your post doesn't make any sense.

First of...

NBA off-season = May if out of playoffs, June, July, August, September, Pre-Season in October

MLB off-season = October if out of playoffs, November, December, January, Spring Training in February and March

Second, the extended season for basketball won't impact their future playing days, where as it would in football? I suppose NBA players don't get a tad out of shape in the off-season?

Third, "a ton of additional work" for pitchers, eh? 6 whole innings over the course of 3 weeks? God forbid John Danks would throw 2 innings a week in March. That could kill his arm!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)

In the NBA, it is not much different. The wear and tear on your knees, affects you much more. They take on an additional load as if they weren't playing in the Olympics or FIBA, they would not be playing basketball at all, they would be enjoying their vacation. In Soccer the wear and tear on the knees is arguably the worst since you're playing the whole game minus about 3 players. And it's 90 minutes. With the exception of a few games, you are playing the entire game. In baseball, they don't even ask you to play the whole game and for pitchers, they take extra care of them. The players, if they weren't playing there, they would still be playing, the same amount if not more in Spring Training. That's even starting Spring Training as they usually start you with about 2 innings.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 25, 2009 -> 01:48 AM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...,2690841.column

Phil Rogers takes a couple of shots at Danks for skipping the WBC.

In his other column (MLB whispers), he speculates about Ivan Rodriguez coming to the Sox as back-up catcher and part-time DH.

normally i enjoy what phil rogers brings to the table. generally, i think he's a good columnist and relatively well-connected.

that said, i think he's way off-base here and his attempt to belittle danks is bush league and uncalled for. sounds to me like he's doing the league's work in this column...

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)
How ironic.

Why is that ironic? I broke it down about as far as it could possibly be broken down, with one word. It's all about money. That money is in MLB, not in the WBC, in fact the WBC potentially undermines MLB's bottom line. Therefore MLB is king of everything. I may sound like a cynic, but really it is that simple.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
God I can't wait until the U.S. plays Canada and after the game I can throw chairs around and knock women out in the name of athletic pride of my country!! I will feel such pride!!

Is that a shot at me?