Yes We Can . . .

Texsox

Complete the phrase for the next four years of realistic goals, even if they are a stretch.

. . . reduce our Troop levels in Iraq by 75%

. . . put in motion a guest worker program

. . . increase by 15% our use of alternate energy sources

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 08:11 AM)
Complete the phrase for the next four years of realistic goals, even if they are a stretch.

. . . reduce our Troop levels in Iraq by 75%

. . . put in motion a guest worker program

. . . increase by 15% our use of alternate energy sources

increase by 15% over current levels is far too low a goal. Heck, it went up by more than that in 2008 alone, from something like 8% to 11%. I'd like to see, in 4 years, a doubling of that number or more to over 20%.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)
...restore habeas corpus

It sure will be nice to have an administration who may actually respect individual freedoms again. Kind of ironic, since the parties have flipped on that theme.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)
... have the American economy in a state other than "crumbling".

In 4 years? At best, we could maybe be recovering by then. But I doubt it will be rip-roaring by then (I hope I'm wrong).

I'll add a few...

...Protect wild lands responsibly, for example, by designated the many WSA's as full Wilderness Areas.

...Make real efficiency changes in government, via this new office Obama set up.

...Be getting 25% of our energy from alternative, renewable sources.

...Repair our image and relationships on the global stage.

. . . Incarcerate 1 in 20 black males between 19-35 (down from 1 in 9)

. . . Have blacks live at a poverty rate 1.5X that of whites (down from 2X)

^^^

Gee, do we think those go hand in hand?

I have said that we grossly under appreciate the cheerleader role of our Presidents. That was the greatness of Reagan IMNSHO and the downfall of Carter and Bush. While I understand some will not have the same enthusiasm today as others, I believe it is a great day for America. All inaugurations celebrate our orderly transition of power, this one with added elements that make it historic.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
So you're relying on the government to do everything for you?

I'm relying on the government to hopefully vote into law, things that are necessary. They make ultimate decisions that I voted them into place hoping they fall in line with my decisions/wants/needs, but it does not always go this way. Basically, you vote into office, people who you think will make the country better off. You don't vote for the actual laws 100%, do you?

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
I'm relying on the government to hopefully vote into law, things that are necessary. They make ultimate decisions that I voted them into place hoping they fall in line with my decisions/wants/needs, but it does not always go this way. Basically, you vote into office, people who you think will make the country better off. You don't vote for the actual laws 100%, do you?

There are personal decisions each of us can do, though, to all help our goal of having a greater country. I think there will be a return to community that has been a staple of the United States since it was a group of colonies. The things Tex and PA speak of so well.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
There are personal decisions each of us can do, though, to all help our goal of having a greater country. I think there will be a return to community that has been a staple of the United States since it was a group of colonies. The things Tex and PA speak of so well.

I hope so. Because ultimately, I think that's what's best for the country. A return of interest.