2009 College Baseball

danman31

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Mizzou took 2 of 3 from Kansas this weekend. Today's game had a ridiculous ending. Mizzou was up 12-7 going into the 9th and had a solid lead pretty much the whole game. Mizzou's closer came in in the 7th and for some reason Mizzou's manager decided to stretch him out to close it out. My friends and I joked that he would hit the wall in the 9th and not be able to get anyone out. That's exactly what happened. With 1 out in the 9th, Kansas had the bases loaded down 12-8 and tied it on a grand slam. The next batter hit a triple and then a hit batter (which resulted in some jawing). Finally, Mizzou brought in a new pitcher and he got a K and a flyout to get out of it. The 2nd batter of the 9th for Mizzou hit a walkoff to give the Tigers the series win.

After a horrible non-conference season, Mizzou is currently in 2nd in the Big 12 and looks safe to continue their regional streak. This year would make 7 straight.

Fullerton back into BA's top 5 after winning 7 in a row prior to a loss on Sunday. That included 2 of 3 @ Cal Poly this weekend. That would have been #12 Cal Poly. UCI still holds the #1 spot for an umteenth consecutive week.

f*** yes Big WEST!!!. UCLA has 4 more left, including 3 games against UCLA.

ASU dealt a big blow this weekend on the injury front. Lost starting LH pitcher Josh Spence for the rest of the season with tendon damage of some sort in his pitching hand. He was throwing really well too with an 8-1 record. I just don't think they have the horses to do much damage anymore...

Great (but kinda sad) story about a pitcher who threw 21 shutout innings in 26 hours to help his team to the NIAA World Series. Over his coaches objections the pitcher, Bryan fuller, went out to pitch knowing that this could be his last chance to ever pitch at a competitive level. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4171780

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 18, 2009 -> 01:58 AM)
Great (but kinda sad) story about a pitcher who threw 21 shutout innings in 26 hours to help his team to the NIAA World Series. Over his coaches objections the pitcher, Bryan fuller, went out to pitch knowing that this could be his last chance to ever pitch at a competitive level. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4171780

The article said he wasn't even a starter as well.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 23, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/baseball-rai...dance-off-24015

A rain cancellation turns into a dance off

I know some of those guys from UCONN , half of them would probably be better suited to stick to dancing. Their SS though is fantastic when healthy, i'd love to see the Sox draft him late when he's eligble.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ May 25, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
I can't believe UF got a national seed. Go Miami in that regional.

Cant believe it either.

1. That team isnt good at all. I've seen them on tv a lot and in person once and they do not impress me.

2. They were borderline a top 10 team before the conference tournies and they went 1-2 and still got a spot while FSU gets to their title game and they get shafted.

3. I've probably jinxed the other 3 teams now and watch Florida win the regional now.

FSU got a tough bracket.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ May 25, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
I can't believe UF got a national seed. Go Miami in that regional.

Also, that Irving regional is awesome. UVA as a 2, SDSU as a 3 and the defending champs as a 4 again.

f*** that... UVA and Irvine got screwed. UVA should have been a #1 and Irvine shouldn't have gotten the best #2 in their regional. Unfortunately for Virginia, they have to face Strasburg in Game 1, so that's like an automatic loss.

There are definitely some interesting draws. Florida looks pretty legit to me though. Sure they got swept by Miami, but they have an impressive resume.

Missouri goes to Ole Miss as a 2 seed, they matched up last year in the regionals in Miami and split the games against each other. Western Kentucky is the 3 and Monmouth is the 4. A draw I like for Missouri. BTW, that's 7 straight regionals. Only 13 other teams have been to the tourney the last 7 years. What a streak for a midwest school.

Also, Oklahoma State got in? Wow. 9th place in the Big 12, didn't even qualify for the conference tourney.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 25, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
f*** that... UVA and Irvine got screwed. UVA should have been a #1 and Irvine shouldn't have gotten the best #2 in their regional. Unfortunately for Virginia, they have to face Strasburg in Game 1, so that's like an automatic loss.

I'm totally going to have to make my way to that game. See Strasburg pitch in my home town.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 25, 2009 -> 11:58 PM)
I'm totally going to have to make my way to that game. See Strasburg pitch in my home town.

If you do, will you tell me what you think of UVA lefty reliever Matt Packer (#15) if he gets in the game? He's one of my buddies from high school. Led the nation in ERA last season, but struggled a bit at times this year. Pitched 3.1 scoreless innings of relief in the ACC Championship game the other day.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 25, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
Also, Oklahoma State got in? Wow. 9th place in the Big 12, didn't even qualify for the conference tourney.

That is an abolute JOKE! Somebody needs to explain that one...plus how the Big 12 got 8 teams in.