2009 College Baseball

danman31

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 26, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
That is an abolute JOKE! Somebody needs to explain that one...plus how the Big 12 got 8 teams in.

Tim Weiser, associate commissioner of the Big 12, was the chair of the selection committee this year.

UVA did get screwed, but that's why I said that regional is awesome. There is so much talent, it should be fun to watch. However, like you said, if I was a fan of Irvine or UVA, I'd be pissed.

I'm in the same boat as zen about UF. A lot of their games were on TV so I was able to watch them and wasn't that impressed. Then again, FSU looked like s*** most of this season too.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ May 26, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
Tim Weiser, associate commissioner of the Big 12, was the chair of the selection committee this year.

UVA did get screwed, but that's why I said that regional is awesome. There is so much talent, it should be fun to watch. However, like you said, if I was a fan of Irvine or UVA, I'd be pissed.

I'm in the same boat as zen about UF. A lot of their games were on TV so I was able to watch them and wasn't that impressed. Then again, FSU looked like s*** most of this season too.

How in the heck was UCI one of the last national seeds. That alone is a joke, imo. I was pleasantly surprised with Fullerton being the #2 national seed. I like the regional but they pretty much have zero history or experience against any of the schools and anything can happen. Hopefully my Titans can take care of business.

Friday I'll be at the UCI regional, assuming I'm able to pick up individual tickets when they go on sale tomorrow.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
How in the heck was UCI one of the last national seeds. That alone is a joke, imo. I was pleasantly surprised with Fullerton being the #2 national seed. I like the regional but they pretty much have zero history or experience against any of the schools and anything can happen. Hopefully my Titans can take care of business.

Like ASU (with Brett Wallace and Ike Davis )last year routing Fresno State in game one of the Super...then losing 2 straight. Granted Fresno won it all last year...but after the game 1 rout...ASU completely overlooked Fresno and got too overconfident.

I can't get past Baylor and Oklahoma State, plus UCI had to get the biggest screw job ever. Same with Virginia. I hope UCI finds a way though. I just don't get how my Titans get such a better seed than UCI, who beat us in head to head and won the conference by a wide margin.

And thats not me knocking the Titans, who I clearly feel are a top 5 national team and who consistently play a premiere non-conference schedule.

The Big 12 has been getting some extra love lately. Baylor matches the profile of Oklahoma last year who got in. That pick didn't surprise me. It was a damn good, really deep year for the Big 12. I just don't like Oklahoma State getting in.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 26, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
The Big 12 has been getting some extra love lately. Baylor matches the profile of Oklahoma last year who got in. That pick didn't surprise me. It was a damn good, really deep year for the Big 12. I just don't like Oklahoma State getting in.

Baylor did lose like 14 of there last 16 though. A month ago I'd have told you Baylor was a lock but they really sucked ass and I just don't think they were better than some other bubble teams. I do agree that the Big 12 was very very good this year though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 26, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)
Baylor did lose like 14 of there last 16 though. A month ago I'd have told you Baylor was a lock but they really sucked ass and I just don't think they were better than some other bubble teams. I do agree that the Big 12 was very very good this year though.

They had lost 12 of 14 before winning 2 of 3 in the Big 12 Tourney. I think getting swept by a brutal Nebraska team would have knocked them out if they didn't put up a solid weekend in the Big 12 Tourney.

I really would like to see how the selection comittee decides on these regional pairings. That Fullerton Regional is a joke. So is the LSU Regional. The Texas Regional is pretty weak but not as bad as the other two. Last my Canes were the number 1 overall and got stuck with Ole Miss and Missouri. Yes they went 3-0 but there is zero consistency in the selection process every year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
Badass, just picked up my tickets to see Strausburg in action on Friday against Virginia. Will be hitting up the Fullerton regional later on in the weekend.

What time is that game? I'm pretty sure it's going to be on ESPNU. At least I hope it is.

Nice 9-4 win over Jacksonville today to start things off. It's nice to be able to get 4 scoreless innings out of a weekday starter to start a regional.

Southern gave LSU a nice little scare when they took a lead into the 7th before giving up 9 runs.

This was the first chance I've had to catch Strasburg live. Dude is even better than advertised. Virginia has one of the top 5 offenses in the country and they had no chance after the second inning. Strasburg single-handedly gives the Nationals instant credibility. He could definitely pitch and more importantly be effective in the majors right now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 30, 2009 -> 01:46 AM)
This was the first chance I've had to catch Strasburg live. Dude is even better than advertised. Virginia has one of the top 5 offenses in the country and they had no chance after the second inning. Strasburg single-handedly gives the Nationals instant credibility. He could definitely pitch and more importantly be effective in the majors right now.

Yeah, I was impressed by him, and then even more impressed when I learned that UVa's offense is as good as it is. He made their hitters look like high schoolers.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 29, 2009 -> 10:06 PM)
Yeah, I was impressed by him, and then even more impressed when I learned that UVa's offense is as good as it is. He made their hitters look like high schoolers.

The "High Schoolers" still won the game, so it was a small victory for Strasburg, i'm sure.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2009 -> 06:46 PM)

I was at the game and I won't lie, the first three or so innings I was completley unimpressed. I saw big league stuff but he was struggling a bit. Than as the game went on and on, he got into a rhythm and damn did he look good, like real good. All against a very very good team. I still don't think he's as ready as some say cause I think he's got command issues but his delivery is very clean and he showed a very advanced feel for his off-speed stuff, which is to me what makes him special.

Oh and he must have insane movement cause the catcher was looking like an idiot behind the plate. There was one fastball that completely missed the catchers glove and caught him right in the chest protector (and it wasn't due to him expecting an offspeed pitch and getting the heat either).

QUOTE (shipps @ May 30, 2009 -> 06:34 AM)
Strasburg did not WOW me like I thought he would. He is a prospect and he is not major league ready like I heard from other people.

Did you keep watching? He started looking like a man among boys. It was insane and he wasn't even throwing his fastball that often.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 29, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
Glad UVA pulled out the win, though!

UVA is gonna go to the world series. They are a freaking good team. Oh and my Titans mauled Utah, using our Saturday starter. Our ace will be out there tonight against the Zags and hopefully he shows up and our offense shows up.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 30, 2009 -> 08:34 AM)
Strasburg did not WOW me like I thought he would. He is a prospect and he is not major league ready like I heard from other people.

Then you're pretty damn hard to impress. He gave up 1 solo HR and another R that wasn't even all his fault due to some horrific defense by Eric Castro behind the plate. 15 K's and 0 BB's against an absolutely stacked Virginia offense. I was definitely "wowed."

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 30, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
I was at the game and I won't lie, the first three or so innings I was completley unimpressed. I saw big league stuff but he was struggling a bit. Than as the game went on and on, he got into a rhythm and damn did he look good, like real good. All against a very very good team. I still don't think he's as ready as some say cause I think he's got command issues but his delivery is very clean and he showed a very advanced feel for his off-speed stuff, which is to me what makes him special.

Oh and he must have insane movement cause the catcher was looking like an idiot behind the plate. There was one fastball that completely missed the catchers glove and caught him right in the chest protector (and it wasn't due to him expecting an offspeed pitch and getting the heat either).

The fact that he struggled just a tad the first couple innings (not all his fault, as you already mentioned what a butcher Castro was behind the plate) and still finished the way he did was even more impressive. The kid is human. There's so much hype surrounding him right now that anything less than a perfect game with 20 K's has people surprised. As far as him not being ready for the majors? I don't see any issues at all with command/stuff. He's already got all that. He'll obviously have to adjust (as every college pitcher does) to pitching every 5 days instead of once a week. You'd have to really nitpick to find anything else to be concerned about.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 30, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
Did you keep watching? He started looking like a man among boys. It was insane and he wasn't even throwing his fastball that often.

No I stopped watching after a while. I guess I shouldnt have made up my mind on him as quick as I did. What an asshat I am sometimes.