Jeff Kent To Retire

MHizzle85

per ESPN.com

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Kent to retire; is Hall of Fame next?

ESPN.com news services

Jeff Kent, who built a strong Hall of Fame case while setting the Major League Baseball record for career home runs by a second baseman, will formally announce his retirement Thursday at Dodger Stadium, the Los Angeles Dodgers said. Kent's 351 career home runs as a second baseman are 74 more than Ryne Sandberg's total.

Kent spent 17 years in the majors -- the last four with the Dodgers -- tying for 20th on baseball's all-time list with 560 doubles, while ranking 47th with 1,518 RBI and 62nd with 377 home runs.

His career batting average is .290. He drove in more than 100 runs eight times and had at least 20 home runs in a season 12 times. He won the National League MVP award with the San Francisco Giants in 2000, made five All-Star teams and won four Silver Slugger awards at second base.

Kent hit .253 during the first half of last season with the Dodgers, improved to .353 in August, then injured his knee on Aug. 29 and had surgery four days later. He returned to make the postseason roster, but was relegated to a bench role. He went a combined 0-for-9 with four strikeouts during the two playoff series and became a free agent in November.

He will be replaced by Blake DeWitt, who had taken over at second base after Kent was injured.

Kent began his professional career after being drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in 1989. He also played for the Mets, Indians, Giants and Astros before joining the Dodgers.

His greatest success came with the Giants, where he played with Barry Bonds. The two players had some famous run-ins, and Kent later tangled with Milton Bradley in Los Angeles. Kent was known for his intense approach to the game and he endorsed improved testing, criticizing players who used performance-enhancing drugs.

He made his only World Series appearance with San Francisco in 2002, hitting three homers as the Giants lost to the then-Anaheim Angels in seven games.

In recent seasons, Kent had expressed interest in spending more time with his family, which includes four children.

Information from The Associated Press and ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick was used in this report.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
He's not a first ballot guy but he'll get in. One of the best offensive 2B to ever play the game.

Kent is not a hall of famer in my mind, but I can see a case for him being made and I think his candidacy will be very interesting. He put up some nice offensive numbers, but was a brutal defensive player. He was not the best player at his position for a 7-10 year period, he has one underserved MVP award, no championships, 5 all star appearances, not to mention a massive tool. Roberto Alomar was the second baseman of his generation, and in my mind Kent doesn't even come close to him.

Edited by hawksfan61

It's interesting that even if Kent didn't take steroids, they may help him get in the Hall. All of his best RBI seasons were in San Francisco, batting behind Barry Bonds. It's an unfortunate trickle down in this era, and why it will be the toughest group of players to evaluate for Hall of Fame consideration.

QUOTE (hawksfan61 @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 11:40 PM)
Kent is not a hall of famer in my mind, but I can see a case for him being made and I think his candidacy will be very interesting. He put up some nice offensive numbers, but was a brutal defensive player. He was not the best player at his position for a 7-10 year period, he has one underserved MVP award, no championships, 5 all star appearances, not to mention a massive tool. Roberto Alomar was the second baseman of his generation, and in my mind Kent doesn't even come close to him.

i agree that he is not a HOF. He did have the one MVP so he gets consideration.

Alot of the argurment for him is that he has great HR production for a 2B or was one of the best 2B of his time. The HOF is for the absolute best players, not for the top 10 2B or best 3B. People should not look at his performance compared to other 2B but to the performance of the absolute best players. Performance includes defense as well as offense. Just like with the stats of today, I think there is far too much emphasis on offense and too much comparing by position.

The HOF is for the absolute best players not the best of each position.

the only question that needs to asked is "is he one of the best PLAYERS of all time not is he one of the best 2B of all time."

I will get down from my soapbox now and let the next person take a shot.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)

Alot of the argurment for him is that he has great HR production for a 2B or was one of the best 2B of his time. The HOF is for the absolute best players, not for the top 10 2B or best 3B. People should not look at his performance compared to other 2B but to the performance of the absolute best players. Performance includes defense as well as offense. Just like with the stats of today, I think there is far too much emphasis on offense and too much comparing by position.

the only question that needs to asked is "is he one of the best PLAYERS of all time not is he one of the best 2B of all time."

No it's not. Look at the Hall Of Fame. There's plenty of mediocrity in there. Jeff Kent is a Hall Of Famer.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
No it's not. Look at the Hall Of Fame. There's plenty of mediocrity in there. Jeff Kent is a Hall Of Famer.

I hate this line of thinking when it comes to the hall of fame. Just because Bill Mazeroski is in the hall of fame doesn't mean every good player that comes up automatically gets in. Mistakes made in the past shouldn't continue to be compounded by letting weak candidates like Jeff Kent in.

I kind of think of Jeff Kent as the Gary Carter of 2B. You watched his whole career. He was pretty good. He was very good for his position. But you never really thought Hall of Fame when you watch him.

Kent is very borderline, but he'll probably get in.

these are exactly the type of debates i have such a hard time taking a side on

should the HOF be for the best players or best at each position? when i look back over the course of Kent's career...i wouldnt have listed him as among the top 10 players in that time frame....there are only 230 players in the HOF among tens of thousands that have played...however clearly he is one of the best second basemen of the last 30 years, and that seems to count for something, otherwise it seems the HOF would be flooded with OF and 1b...

however, kent's power numbers are what would put him in, but frankly he did it during a time when hitting 377 HR was approached by guys like greg vaughn, matt williams and larry walker....

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)

I think you really have to consider position. Catchers are a prime example - the aspects of the game that make a catcher great are just not the same as for other positions. And those areas that are the same, are at a different balance to each other.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 08:32 AM)
I think you really have to consider position. Catchers are a prime example - the aspects of the game that make a catcher great are just not the same as for other positions. And those areas that are the same, are at a different balance to each other.

i personally wouldn't. I would take it into consideration in the way, was he a great defensive player? I compare defense obviously by position. However, it's not was he one of the best defensive catchers, it's is he one of the best defensive players of the era.

Again, JMHO but I think there are far too many mediocre players in the HOF and usually revolves only around offense. This happens partially because voters will look at that there are only X number of 2B in so he compares well to them.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)

He probably will get in along this line of thinking but that doesn't mean he should be. There is plenty of good but not great players in there but again that doesn't mean I need to agree or perpetuate the poor trend. The HOF should be for the absolute best not the very good.

I always felt he would be, but now looking at the overall numbers and the BALCO case, I'm quite skeptical

Never a good defensive second baseman as it was always talked about moving him, and he has 6 slightly above average seasons before he started hitting behind Bonds.

Then he had 5 monster seasons playing with Bonds and BALCO, including robbing a 2000 MVP from Todd Helton, but aside from that monster 2000 season, he's only been in the top of offensive categories for RBI's which shouldn't be a shocker with Bonds' monster OBP in front of him.

Joe Posnaski is my favorite sportswriter after Pat Jordan. He's got a great essay up about Jeff Kent, Why We Need Numbers.

I GET why some people don’t vote for Bert Blyleven for the Hall of Fame. He generally was not viewed as a great pitcher while he pitched. I GET why Lou Whitaker and Dan Quisenberry and Ken Boyer received limited-to-no Hall of Fame support while Ryne Sandberg and Bruce Sutter and Brooks Robinson have plaques in Cooperstown right now. The latter three had this aura about them that the former three did not. I get the concept of perception and gut reaction and that in some twisted away a Hall of Famer is supposed to represent something transcendent in our consciousness. I feel those things too. I FEEL like Jeff Kent is absolutely not a Hall of Famer, and I’m always surprised whenever some announcer or writer calls him one.

Then, I look at the numbers. And I see that my perception of Jeff Kent is entirely wrong.

The rest is worth reading, too.

Actually, everyone should subscribe to his blog.