Cubs choose new owner

fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
Sadly, Ricketts family are diehard Cubs fans and told MLB they'd have a payroll around 175 million a year. Peavy probably should start packing his bags.

Must you mention this every time the Cubs are brought up?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
Sadly, Ricketts family are diehard Cubs fans and told MLB they'd have a payroll around 175 million a year. Peavy probably should start packing his bags.

You are one of the smarter posters here, but one thing I'm glad about is your Cubs thoughts are consistently proven inaccurate. If your Cubs thoughts (although I think they are more irrational fears due to hate than thoughts, and that happens) were proven true, they'd have won 2 to 4 World Championships this decade, play in a 300 thousand seat stadium, have a 1 billion dollar payroll, and all of their players would go home riding unicorns instead of driving cars.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Crane Kennedy admits Wrigley Field is a dump:

"That's one part of it, and the other parts of it are fan amenities. Our mezzanine suites, we don't even call them luxury suites anymore because they're neither luxury, nor suites. We call them skyboxes. We all know the washroom situation is unacceptable. The concession, the quality of the food—we rank at the bottom.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)

"That's one part of it, and the other parts of it are fan amenities. Our mezzanine suites, we don't even call them luxury suites anymore because they're neither luxury, nor suites. We call them skyboxes. We all know the washroom situation is unacceptable. The concession, the quality of the food—we rank at the bottom.

Between college and pros, among all sports, I've probably been to around 75 stadiums. And Wrigley Field is BY FAR the worst stadium I've been to at any level. The accomodations are insulting to rats, let alone people.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)

On the Crane Kenney note, my understanding is during Cubs Convention, he made a joke out of the whole incident where the Orthodox priest blessed the dugout before the playoffs. Apparently he said it was a bad decision and that the priest contacted them to do the blessing and take the curse off. I know for a fact that this is not true. Crane Kenney contacted a Catholic priest to solicit a blessing and try to remove the curse. That priest said "we do not do that...what you need is a Greek Orthodox priest." He then reached out to a Greek church in NW Indiana. The priest he got to agree to do it is related to a close friend of mine. This priest specifically said he wanted no cameras or exploitation of the church. He did not want a mockery made out of it and did not request tickets, let alone contact Kenney directly to solicit tickets. The Cubs are a bunch of lying spinning chumps. May they lose another 100 seasons.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
Let me ask you this...do you really think the Cubs traded Pie for Olson cause they thought that was a fair trade?

My point is, I DONT CARE ABOUT THE CUBS THAT MUCH.

That is all.

last year it was the same thing "Oh dear, the Cubs got Rich Harden, they are going to win the world series, oh me oh my"

Who cares?

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 05:49 PM)
My point is, I DONT CARE ABOUT THE CUBS THAT MUCH.

That is all.

last year it was the same thing "Oh dear, the Cubs got Rich Harden, they are going to win the world series, oh me oh my"

Who cares?

Some of us do....I don't understand why people that don't care always have interject in Cubs threads just to say "who cares".

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Some of us do....I don't understand why people that don't care always have interject in Cubs threads just to say "who cares".

The same way I dont understand why everytime Cubs ownership is brought up you have to interject "here comes Peavy"

gotta side with fathom on this....all these moves the cubs have been making...marquis, derosa, pie...all point to a peavy trade...and if it happens, it will be discouraging that the cubs would have gotten one of the best pitchers in the game for a good prospect but one who is allergic to the base on balls (vitters) and a bunch of garbage...though it will certainly plummet the cubs farm system to the worst in baseball

the cubs are a big deal to alot of people, even if they aren't to you....you may not care, but fathom, alot of other people on this site and I watch the cubs with great frequency, almost every game possible....if you don't care about em so be it...but let guys like me and fathom hate on em if we want to. I hate teams in every single sport (florida gators, Eagles, USC etc) ...frankly most die hard fans that I know in any sport root against certain teams...and rooting against the other team in town, while not a necessity to be a fan, is part of the fabric of what chicago baseball is

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
Let me ask you this...do you really think the Cubs traded Pie for Olson cause they thought that was a fair trade?

Doesn't the ownership of the Padres impact this decision more than the cubs. While Peavy has a big contract don't you think the new owner of the Padres would like to have a say in wheather he is essentially given away as he would be if given to the cubs in this deal. I know I would want a really good pitcher if I was the new owner as oppossed to have a horses*** team wiht nothign to build on. The Padres are not really looking at a good deal here.

Olson sucks and so does Pie. You can have up to 13 pitchers on your team and with Gathwright and Reed Johnson/Fukodome, Pie has no role at all as the cubs already have 5 really bad outfielders with Milt and the Fonz guaranteed starting slots on the team.

Edited by Jenks Heat

I really hope the Cubs win a World Series, a lot of their fans deserve it and I'd like for them to feel the same feeling we felt in 2005. Of course I dont want the Cubs to win it over the Sox, but imagine living 70 years and never seeing your favorite baseball team with the World Series. You'd think Sox fans would have some empathy here.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
I really hope the Cubs win a World Series, a lot of their fans deserve it and I'd like for them to feel the same feeling we felt in 2005. Of course I dont want the Cubs to win it over the Sox, but imagine living 70 years and never seeing your favorite baseball team with the World Series. You'd think Sox fans would have some empathy here.

Nope, these fools (at least fools in the sense of their baseball fandom, not in general of course) decided to root for a team who has embraced losing for decades, and whose ballpark is filled with a majority of fans who don't care what happens on the field. The White Sox championship drought was long and epic of course, but the majority of fans at least always cared about what happened on the field and not just what bars to go to after the game, and the organization never used losing as a tool to sell tickets.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
The same way I dont understand why everytime Cubs ownership is brought up you have to interject "here comes Peavy"

I think, or hope at least, that fathom is putting jinxes on the Cubs when he posts ten times a day that the Cubs are going to the World Series or are going to make a deal for someone. It's kind of sad.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
Because nearly every reputable baseball insider has stated that the deal wouldn't be completed until the ownership situation was resolved.

Uh, months ago. Alot have said that Peavy will be the opening day starter for the Pads.