Cubs choose new owner

fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
Let me ask you this...do you really think the Cubs traded Pie for Olson cause they thought that was a fair trade?

Yes, a good trade for them since they were going to have to put him on Waivers after ST since he had no spot on the major league team and their manager came out and said they were giving up on him. A box of balls would have been a good trade for them.

Nope, these fools (at least fools in the sense of their baseball fandom, not in general of course) decided to root for a team who has embraced losing for decades, and whose ballpark is filled with a majority of fans who don't care what happens on the field. The White Sox championship drought was long and epic of course, but the majority of fans at least always cared about what happened on the field and not just what bars to go to after the game, and the organization never used losing as a tool to sell tickets.

There are plenty of Cubs fans who care a lot about the team and baseball in general. There are Sox fans who just go to games as an excuse to get drunk too you know...

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
There are plenty of Cubs fans who care a lot about the team and baseball in general. There are Sox fans who just go to games as an excuse to get drunk too you know...

Oh absolutely, but I would say a large majority of the pathetic fans reside in their camp. I do know a few Cub fans who I would be happy for if they won the World Series, but overall I just can't hope for something like that to happen. It would make me a bad guy.

There are a ton of Cubs fans(not saying all), who would love to see the Cubs win just for a big celebration party. I'm not saying there aren't/weren't Sox fans like that, but there are many more Cubs fans like that. They could care less about the product on the field. Heck, I remember I went to a Cubs game this past summer when they stomped out the competition, it was an ESPN game Ryan Dempster pitched, and I got some beer and asked the score, and 3 people said, "Who the fk cares? You got another beer?" And the whole left field, right field sucks thing is so annoying. Here is your team, doing great things on the field, and they aren't cheering or even paying attention. Cuban was at that game, and he drew the loudest pop. After that, even after Soto hit his 2nd HR I believe, the stadium didn't even care.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 09:04 PM)
Yes, a good trade for them since they were going to have to put him on Waivers after ST since he had no spot on the major league team and their manager came out and said they were giving up on him. A box of balls would have been a good trade for them.

True, but they traded for a pitcher that the Padres have already let be known they're interested in (as for why, I have no idea).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
Uh, months ago. Alot have said that Peavy will be the opening day starter for the Pads.

The Padres GM changed it from being Peavy would be with this team on opening day to "Peavy will be with the team until Feb 1st".