Ben Sheets Speculation

kwill

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...%3dolney_buster

In the article, he talks about the money given to the likes of Carlos Silva and Jarrod Washburn in the past couple of years. Ben Sheets this winter will be lucky to receive a two year,20 million dollar deal. This a little crazy? He has never posted an ERA over 4 and last year pitched 200 innings. I realize that he is an injury risk and does cost us a draft pick. But, if Cabrera signs with a team before June than it can almost be a wash. Plus, it is not like we have a high draft pick this year anyways. He would fit nicely into are rotation making it the best in the division with Buehrle, Sheets,Danks,Floyd and Colon. That would be a fantastic rotation turning a weakness into a strength. Also, this would allow other guys to get full development down in the minors especially Aaron Poreda. This would allow Clayton Richard to develop out of the bullpen last year where he was very effective. It would only cost the White Sox 3 years for 30 million dollars. Plus, Our rotation would be set for the next 3 years except for the fifth stater spot which would provide the Whitesox with some stability. I know you have to come up with the cash and it seems people are reluctant to do that these days, but I have a feeling next winter Ben Sheets could have gotten 13-15 million per season.

I agree it would be nice to sign Sheets, but I don't think they want to take the risk with him. True, our training and medical staff has been very good with keeping our arms healthy, but Sheets is entirely different. The guy basically gets hurt every year. And I don't think you can claim any rotation with Sheets in it as "set" for three years unless you have a stud arm in the minors ready and able to replace him at all times. Given our question marks right now, I just don't think it's a great fit.

All that being said, I wouldn't mind a 1-year deal with big time incentives if Sheets decides he would rather wait for the economy to recover before singing a multiple-year deal...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
We don't have the money to do this, and Sheets will be in for a rough time if he pitches in the AL.

Why? He has quality stuff, great command, and is used to pitching in a good hitter's park. His stuff plays anywhere, against anyone.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...%3dolney_buster

In the article, he talks about the money given to the likes of Carlos Silva and Jarrod Washburn in the past couple of years. Ben Sheets this winter will be lucky to receive a two year,20 million dollar deal. This a little crazy? He has never posted an ERA over 4 and last year pitched 200 innings. I realize that he is an injury risk and does cost us a draft pick. But, if Cabrera signs with a team before June than it can almost be a wash. Plus, it is not like we have a high draft pick this year anyways. He would fit nicely into are rotation making it the best in the division with Buehrle, Sheets,Danks,Floyd and Colon. That would be a fantastic rotation turning a weakness into a strength. Also, this would allow other guys to get full development down in the minors especially Aaron Poreda. This would allow Clayton Richard to develop out of the bullpen last year where he was very effective. It would only cost the White Sox 3 years for 30 million dollars. Plus, Our rotation would be set for the next 3 years except for the fifth stater spot which would provide the Whitesox with some stability. I know you have to come up with the cash and it seems people are reluctant to do that these days, but I have a feeling next winter Ben Sheets could have gotten 13-15 million per season.

Want to see Sheets sheet his pants?

Bring him to the AL.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 07:32 PM)
Why? He has quality stuff, great command, and is used to pitching in a good hitter's park. His stuff plays anywhere, against anyone.

He throws a ton of high fastballs. Whenever I saw him face a good hitting team, like the Cubs (AL caliber lineup), they knocked his stuff all around the park.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
He throws a ton of high fastballs. Whenever I saw him face a good hitting team, like the Cubs (AL caliber lineup), they knocked his stuff all around the park.

Well then you caught him on a few bad days because he dominated in a handful of starts vs offenses that could hack it in the AL including the Cubs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)

What's up everyone? First post!

I don't agree with that. They hit him well last year, so did the Astros. The year before it was like the Pirates who hit him well and I don't think they are an AL caliber lineup. By that logic, Buehrle must not be very good cuz he had more then 1 AL actual team knock him around a lot last year.

I've seen Sheets pitch a few times in person and I think his stuff is overwhelming when he is at 80% health or better. When he is healthy, he doesn't rely on his fastball as much but he does pretty well with it regardless. I'm not sure if I agree about the location of them, so I'll watch for it a little more carefully this year.

I think he'd be a valuable addition to our rotation for several reasons. The first being that he is pretty good and better than what we have right now. The second being that it'd split our rotation up nicely going from LRLR in arms. He also loses the pressure of being the Ace in our rotation because of it's depth. If he needs to miss a couple days/starts, we can let him instead of forcing the issue on him. If you buy into the Cooper effect, then he can hopefully help Sheets as well.

The downside is price. I saw today that gm's still would be shocked if he gets 2 years 20 mil. If thats the case, I'd sign him. We'll lose our pick but it Sheets pans out over the two years, we'll get a return on our investment and get his compensation. Maybe we need to deal something to create payroll, and I know most are against dealing Dye but if it nets us prospects and Sheets, I'm on board. Unfortunately, none of this will happen.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
no, the money is there. they just dont want to spend it. big difference lol

Attendence will be down regardless of what team we put on the field. No one is spending money this season besides the Yanks. You have great free agents still out there that are still unsigned, its alarming, and it's league wide, not just the White Sox.

That and Ben Sheets will be next pitch you here having Tommy John within the next year or two.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
The money could be there, but right now it doesn't seem like the Sox project the money to be there.

The Sox have yet to be sponsored by anyone who's been bailed out by the government (The New York Mets presented by the U.S. taxpayer! And Manchester United too!).

another guy who would seem like a good fit to me would be ty wigginton...i'm sure he's looking to start somewhere, but that this point in the offseason he may have to take what he can get....he has hit .310/.389/.568 against lefties over the last three years...he can play 3rd and the OF...probably can't still play 2b, but if he could he would be extremely valuable on our team vs. LHP...not to mention he could even just DH against lefties, giving thome the day off

They have plenty of $-

Over 90% Season ticket renewal, Ticket prices raised, Baseball TV $ hasnt gone away, on & on. Dont listen to that stuff we hear every year about their poor finances. I really wish they'd shut up, especially since they have a high payroll every year anyway.

The most recent article on Wigginton has him interested in the Phillies and vice-versa.

Not sure about bringing an NL player over to the AL either, at his age...but, beyond that, we have Beckham and/or Viciedo projected at that position, along with Fields.

Now if Wigginton was clearly the better option than a healthy Josh Fields, then I would agree....that he wouldn't be a bad insurance policy to have. OTOH, the days of spending that type of money ($3.5-5 million) on a Uribe or Wigginton are long gone, I'm afraid. At least for the next 2-3 seasons.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jan 25, 2009 -> 10:06 AM)
They have plenty of $-

Over 90% Season ticket renewal, Ticket prices raised, Baseball TV $ hasnt gone away, on & on. Dont listen to that stuff we hear every year about their poor finances. I really wish they'd shut up, especially since they have a high payroll every year anyway.

Keep in mind that signing players to multi-year contracts requires projecting revenues into the future. I think they are more concerned with that than anything right now.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
Keep in mind that signing players to multi-year contracts requires projecting revenues into the future. I think they are more concerned with that than anything right now.

A good way to reduce revenue in the future is to not sign any impact players. Self-fulfilling prophecy, anyone?

Anyway, I'm aware that 90% of the clubs aren't signing anyone either so I shouldn't be concerned yet. But still...