Ben Sheets Speculation

kwill

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 25, 2009 -> 09:15 AM)
The most recent article on Wigginton has him interested in the Phillies and vice-versa.

Not sure about bringing an NL player over to the AL either, at his age...but, beyond that, we have Beckham and/or Viciedo projected at that position, along with Fields.

Now if Wigginton was clearly the better option than a healthy Josh Fields, then I would agree....that he wouldn't be a bad insurance policy to have. OTOH, the days of spending that type of money ($3.5-5 million) on a Uribe or Wigginton are long gone, I'm afraid. At least for the next 2-3 seasons.

He played in the AL in '06 and a lot of '07 and put up nice numbers. He isn't an NL only player.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jan 25, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
They have plenty of $-

Over 90% Season ticket renewal, Ticket prices raised, Baseball TV $ hasnt gone away, on & on. Dont listen to that stuff we hear every year about their poor finances. I really wish they'd shut up, especially since they have a high payroll every year anyway.

Yeah all those things are fine and dandy, but stuff like concessions and merchandise sales are going to take substantial hits. Getting people into the stadium is only half the battle. Getting them to spend addition entertainment dollars is going to be the really hard part. That's where the Sox are going to suffer substantially.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jan 25, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
They have plenty of $-

Over 90% Season ticket renewal, Ticket prices raised, Baseball TV $ hasnt gone away, on & on. Dont listen to that stuff we hear every year about their poor finances. I really wish they'd shut up, especially since they have a high payroll every year anyway.

That doesn't address the fact that about half of the Sox attendance is of the single game variety, and there is no doubt that there will be a significant drop in that number this year. It is much smarter for the Sox to take a smaller hit now than to take a huge hit in a year when they find out what the entire world has know for a while now... The economy sucks and people are going to spend less on impulse/luxury items. I much more like to see them cutting $10 to $15 million now than $40-$50 million in a huge sell off because they lost tons of money.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 07:58 PM)
What's up everyone? First post!

I don't agree with that. They hit him well last year, so did the Astros. The year before it was like the Pirates who hit him well and I don't think they are an AL caliber lineup. By that logic, Buehrle must not be very good cuz he had more then 1 AL actual team knock him around a lot last year.

I've seen Sheets pitch a few times in person and I think his stuff is overwhelming when he is at 80% health or better. When he is healthy, he doesn't rely on his fastball as much but he does pretty well with it regardless. I'm not sure if I agree about the location of them, so I'll watch for it a little more carefully this year.

I think he'd be a valuable addition to our rotation for several reasons. The first being that he is pretty good and better than what we have right now. The second being that it'd split our rotation up nicely going from LRLR in arms. He also loses the pressure of being the Ace in our rotation because of it's depth. If he needs to miss a couple days/starts, we can let him instead of forcing the issue on him. If you buy into the Cooper effect, then he can hopefully help Sheets as well.

The downside is price. I saw today that gm's still would be shocked if he gets 2 years 20 mil. If thats the case, I'd sign him. We'll lose our pick but it Sheets pans out over the two years, we'll get a return on our investment and get his compensation. Maybe we need to deal something to create payroll, and I know most are against dealing Dye but if it nets us prospects and Sheets, I'm on board. Unfortunately, none of this will happen.

Welcome aboard! :gosox1:

IMO, Sheets at 2 yrs, $20 mill. would be a nice pickup for the Sox, though it's not my money. If the sox are truly looking to contend, they need that extra SP if they aren't going to spend cash/ trade to help the offense. They have bullpen depth. But the rotation is far from settled. The sox need to keep Danks and Floyd healthy in 2009, and keep their innings down. Sheets should be able to give the sox 180 + innings. For the 5th spot, and fill in should one of the 1-4 SP's go down, Colon, richard, Marquez, Poreda, and for the 2nd half Jose should keep the sox competitive in the AL central.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2009 -> 07:21 AM)
Keep in mind that signing players to multi-year contracts requires projecting revenues into the future. I think they are more concerned with that than anything right now.

I agree with this. And they have something like $60 million coming off the books next year, which means that Kenny COULD legitimately commit $50 million or so to another FA if he really wanted to.

That said, I don't see Sheets being that guy (even for $30 million). He's already had the trifecta of shoulder, elbow, and back injuries. That doesn't project well into the future and, frankly, I wouldn't blame the Sox for taking a pass on him.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
I agree with this. And they have something like $60 million coming off the books next year, which means that Kenny COULD legitimately commit $50 million or so to another FA if he really wanted to.

That said, I don't see Sheets being that guy (even for $30 million). He's already had the trifecta of shoulder, elbow, and back injuries. That doesn't project well into the future and, frankly, I wouldn't blame the Sox for taking a pass on him.

its going to cost a lot to keep floyd, danks, alexei, cq, and jenks though

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)

I agree we'll have to take a lot of that money and put it towards them, but not as much or as soon as you'd think.

With Danks, I can see them buying out his arb years and a couple of free agency. Especially after seeing today's deal with Grienke, it could be a model in a year with a stellar season out of Danks. Alexi is locked up for nothing until 2011, and I wouldn't be surprised if we up'd that contract a bit and extended it.

With Floyd and Quentin, it may be better to go year by year. Floyd because I don't trust him to perform consistent enough each year. I have my doubts as do some of you with him. CQ needs to stay healthy for a full year or longer before I lock him up to a sizemore type deal. The downside there is a healthy year like last season and he may want more. I'd give him the contract but thats just me.

Jenks is on his own for me. Some people i know are concerned about his elbow, the whole velocity story (is it intentional/smart on his part or can he really not throw hard), and his price tag. I'm on the boat for dealing him and next years FA closer crop isn't near as talented as this one so he'll have more value than today IMO.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)

True, but Alexei and Danks aren't arb-eligible for a while. Jenks will almost certainly walk when he hits free agency. And by the time that CQ will needs to be locked up, Paulie, Mark, Dotel, and Linebrink will all be gone. Swisher's departure has also freed up a moderate amount of payroll.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
True, but Alexei and Danks aren't arb-eligible for a while. Jenks will almost certainly walk when he hits free agency. And by the time that CQ will needs to be locked up, Paulie, Mark, Dotel, and Linebrink will all be gone. Swisher's departure has also freed up a moderate amount of payroll.

Danks is arb eligible for the first time following the 2009 season so his cheap years have just about run out and Alexei can walk in free agency following the 2011 season he has a clause in his contract that allows him to forego arbitration.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
Danks is arb eligible for the first time following the 2009 season so his cheap years have just about run out and Alexei can walk in free agency following the 2011 season he has a clause in his contract that allows him to forego arbitration.

Whatever. The bottom line is that the Sox aren't going to be crippled with massive contracts after this season and they have the option of going year-to-year with the arb-eligible players. They *could* spend this winter if they wanted to. But they're choosing not to.

The title of the threa should be "I wish we signed Ben Sheets".

Bartolo was probably the biggest (in name not size) signing for our rotation this offseason. 50,000 jobs were lost today, and with more of those going everyday the writing is on the wall for pleasure activities like going to a baseball game.