Tigers sign Lyon

LittleHurt05

While this isn't as questionable as Farnsworth and he's only Type B, the Tigers are going to end up more like the Detoothed Lions with LYON as closer.

They're still unsure about Rodney, Zumaya's really a huge mental/physical question mark coming into this season and Dolsi's too young and raw/inexperienced for the role.

This sort of reminds me of the Indians' experiment with Borowski as closer. We all know how well that went.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)
You mean Bonderman?

Both really. Bonderman of course, but Verlander has all the stuff to be the #1 guy but he still struggles, just look at last year. He had no arm issues last year, he was healthy and throwing fine. But all of a sudden guys started to pound him. His stuff isnt missing bats as much as it was before. Guys are getting used to it, so he needs to make adjustments or he'll be a mid rotation guy.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
You mean Bonderman?

him too but i was refering to verlander bcuz he looked awful the times i saw him last year. but im sure he probly will bcuz i remember watching a few games in which he ended giving up like 5 or 6 runs and a lot of them coming in the later innings. leyland had to keep him in there bcuz their pen was horrible

The Tigers' big hole isn't Cabrera-related. Miller has been a bust, the odds are 50/50 that Maybin, as much as he has been hyped, could ever equal Granderson at the major league level.

It's a combination of bad contracts (Sheffield, Willis, etc.) and the bad Detroit economy and horrific unemployment numbers that hamstring the Tigers right now. If they think Lyon's going to be a great AL closer, well, good luck with that thought. Maybe they catch lightning in a bottle like we did for awhile with Takatsu and Hermanson, but Joe Borowski or Keith Foulke (recent vintage) results are more probable.

The Jurr-Jurr trade to the Braves wasn't such a wise move, either.

Edited by caulfield12