• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
I ragged on MMA style, certainly--because I don't like it. I said Boxers have better punches, yes, and they do. But where can you quote me specifically comparing the two fighting styles? Basically I've gotten a lot back along the lines of a boxer couldn't take a kick to the leg or couldn't fight on the ground. I never said they could. I've also gotten back that, essentially, boxing isn't fighting. That is ridiculous.

What I meant by "they couldn't hold the jock strap of..." is that MMA has no history, it has no grace, it has no class; all it has is a brute style of fighting. Everyone knows the name Muhammad Ali and they know it for a reason. He was a great fighter, if not the greatest. The picture of that guy I posted, the guy in the speedo, apparently he's a big name MMA fighter. I've never seen, nor heard of him. I know I'm not the only one. I know that's of no fault of the sport, but when I'm 70 years old, my grandkids will know who Muhammad Ali is. Will they know who that guy in the speedo is?

The type of fighting we call MMA has been around a lot longer than Dana White and the UFC. You can look to the Greeks and Pankration which was an Olympic sport. The Gracie family has been holding these types of tournaments since the 20s. Shoot fighting started in Japan in the late 70s and early 80s. So your comments about the history of it are a bit out of touch.

And for boxing fans to use the brutality of MMA to show less class only need to look back in the last 100 years of your own sport when boxing was two men, barenuckles, beating each other to death for 50 rounds. Yes you have come a long way, and so has the UFC from UFC1.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
The type of fighting we call MMA has been around a lot longer than Dana White and the UFC. You can look to the Greeks and Pankration which was an Olympic sport. The Gracie family has been holding these types of tournaments since the 20s. Shoot fighting started in Japan in the late 70s and early 80s. So your comments about the history of it are a bit out of touch.

And for boxing fans to use the brutality of MMA to show less class only need to look back in the last 100 years of your own sport when boxing was two men, barenuckles, beating each other to death for 50 rounds. Yes you have come a long way, and so has the UFC from UFC1.

"Beating each other to death for 50 rounds" is an overstatement. They fought until there was a clear and decided winner. In today's boxing, they have judges. And people die in modern boxing, as well.

Boxing has a prideful history, is what I meant. It appears in literature by Homer, and has names that I recognize of people I've never seen fight. Pankration, or MMA or whatever you'd like to call it, lasted for 1,000 years as an Olympic sport. Boxing continues today in the Games, from as early as 688 BC.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
Maybe I'll just kick you in the leg, roll around on the floor with you for 10 minutes and twist your arm, pull your hair and then be told by boxing scouts that I don't have what it takes to make it to the big show, instead. Give me a break, I'd rather watch WWE than that trash. You call that fighting? I call it shock value. No man with any sort of class fights like those brutes in UFC.

Boxing maybe during the Tyson era i'll give you...not so much these days.

Boxing these days has become a sport where 2 millionaires will get in the ring, dance around a bit...throw some punches...try not to hurt each other too bad.

NOT all boxers do this, but it seems that every big fight that i'm told I need to see does this.

Nice try with the shock post though, you go ahead and keep believing that boxing is superior to MMA.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
It is.

Any boxer stepping foot into an MMA bout wouldn't stand a chance. Period.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 09:11 PM)
MMA sucks. Boxing is much better. Yes, this is my compelling argument because it is the truth. Nothing comes close to a boxing super fight.

Yes, because there have been so many boxing super fights in the past few years...

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 09:20 PM)
Any boxer stepping foot into an MMA bout wouldn't stand a chance. Period.

Yes, because there have been so many boxing super fights in the past few years...

there is an outstanding Amaerican boxer coming up the ranks. I worked with him when I worked with the Junior Olympic Boxing Team in 2006. His name is Isiah Thomas (not kidding). His real name is Alex but he goes by Isiah. He is the first American Heavyweight to win the Gold medal in the Junior Olympics. He is probably a few years away because he is probably only 20 now but watch for him.

Edited by ptatc

LOL, I was pretty shocked to see the thread at 4 pages then I saw it got hijacked.

Well here's my OPINION. I watch both boxing and MMA. I've been watching boxing all my life and just started getting into MMA. TO ME they are both fun to watch. People think that boxing is boring because they see the boxers hugging each other throughout a 12 round fight, yet those same people get all excited when they change the channel to MMA and watch them struggle with each other on the ground trying not to give the other fighter a chance at a submission or an easy KO position.

One thing I don't like about MMA is that it can be brutal at times.

Another thing is it can be kinda flukey (that my not be the best term). What I mean is, on any given fight a fighter can KO the other not because he was better or used better strategy, but because the opponent made a mistake and left himself vulnerable for a split second.

Everyone made such a big deal about the Rampage/Silva fight... that was garbage. There was barely any action before the KO and then Rampage lands a shot flush on Silva when he was just throwing punches. WOW! Yeah the KO was cool, but once he was done I realized... one fighter landed a clean shot on the other and it was over, just like that. Was Rampage better than Silva because he landed one punch to KO him?

Here's another, many of these MMA matches are lopsided. You rarely see a fight in which both the fighters held their own. Usually its one guy annihilating another.

I'm not saying MMA is boring or crap, I'm just pointing out the flaws. Both sports have flaws. A fighter in each sport takes a long time to master or compete at a high enough level so it isn't about one being easier than the other. I enjoy both, I just don't see why MMA fans s*** on boxing each chance they get.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
there is an outstanding Amaerican boxer coming up the ranks. I worked with him when I worked with the Junior Olympic Boxing Team in 2006. His name is Isiah Thomas (not kidding). His real name is Alex but he goes by Isiah. He is the first American Heavyweight to win the Gold medal in the Junior Olympics. He is probably a few years away because he is probably only 20 now but watch for him.

David Haye too. British and known throughout the boxing community at this point, but I can't wait to see him fight Klitschko. I hope the boxer you're talking about doesn't do what Michael Grant did and go for the trophy too soon. Lewis made him into a joke.

I think its all about star power lately. There are going to be fans of both types either way, its the casual fans who get lured to one side or another. These days it appears MMA is attracting more casual fans because of things like reality shows and guys like Kimbo. I think when the heavyweight division in boxing gets some bigger names the balance will shift back.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
Nice try with the shock post though, you go ahead and keep believing that boxing is superior to MMA.

Since you have WWE avatar, I'll try and ignore that.

All MMA fights go like this: Guy falls on ground, other dude on tops pummels him in the nuts, fight over. At least in Boxing, there is a chance of a late round comeback which is exciting. All the MMA/UFC crap is Joe Roegan yelling into a microphone about chemically enhanced meat heads. I take Boxing instead of the flavor of the week, thanks.

(also note to MMA fans, stop wearing shirts with awful designs on them. this also bothers me to no end)

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)

All MMA fights go like this: Guy falls on ground, other dude on tops pummels him in the nuts, fight over. At least in Boxing, there is a chance of a late round comeback which is exciting. All the MMA/UFC crap is Joe Roegan yelling into a microphone about chemically enhanced meat heads. I take Boxing instead of the flavor of the week, thanks.

(also note to MMA fans, stop wearing shirts with awful designs on them. this also bothers me to no end)

Well, many MMA fights end in straight KO's from the feet, punching in the nuts is illegal, comebacks happen especially when you can counter a hold/KO someone, and most of the guys look nothing like steroid users. Those are the problems I have with your statement.

If you're going to generalize how a fight goes, you can say boxing goes like this: Guy dances around, throws one punch, lands it, dances around for remainder of round, rinse and repeat.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)

:lolhitting Have you ever watched an MMA fight? That's like if I described boxing as two guys circling each other and throwing a punch every 30-45 sec. or so for half an hour. Get familiar dude.

But since it seems that you have not a clue what you're talking about, I'll try and ignore that....

(note to paint it black, more non-mma fans wear those stupid shirts than anything, i'll try and ignore that too)

Gahh it's hard to say that you want on the internet because you have no tone. I know that below the belt shots are illegal in MMA, it was more my way of saying "dude falls, ass gets kicked fight over in 30 seconds." It's not that I hate MMA, rather, I like the technicality of it, the history, and I like that it isn't marketed on the "extreme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" plan. But I get why so many more people prefer MMA to boxing.

Also, hope I didn't come off as a prick with my last post......i swear I'm not that angry haha

Edited by Paint it Black

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
Gahh it's hard to say that you want on the internet because you have no tone. I know that below the belt shots are illegal in MMA, it was more my way of saying "dude falls, ass gets kicked fight over in 30 seconds." It's not that I hate MMA, rather, I like the technicality of it, the history, and I like that it isn't marketed on the "extreme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" plan. But I get why so many more people prefer MMA to boxing.

Also, hope I didn't come off as a prick with my last post......i swear I'm not that angry haha

Na, you came off more as a douche. :lol: