QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
So you think UFC is just entertainment?

It's a few notches below entertainment. It's s***.

25.jpg

If any of you think a douche like that can hold the jock strap of guys like Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Lewis, Jack Dempsy, George Foreman, Willie Pep, etc... you were dropped as a child.

Edited by BobDylan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
It's a few notches below entertainment. It's s***.

25.jpg

If any of you think a douche like that can hold the jock strap of guys like Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Lewis, Jack Dempsy, George Foreman, Willie Pep, etc... you were dropped as a child.

Its a different sport, I wouldnt ask them to hold their jock straps. Of course, none of those guys have any ground game, so I imagine once "douches" like Lesnar take them down, its over.

If it was standing straight up and actual boxing, then yeah, they would win

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
Its a different sport, I wouldnt ask them to hold their jock straps. Of course, none of those guys have any ground game, so I imagine once "douches" like Lesnar take them down, its over.

If it was standing straight up and actual boxing, then yeah, they would win

That's beside the point.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
Maybe I'll just kick you in the leg, roll around on the floor with you for 10 minutes and twist your arm, pull your hair and then be told by boxing scouts that I don't have what it takes to make it to the big show, instead. Give me a break, I'd rather watch WWE than that trash. You call that fighting? I call it shock value. No man with any sort of class fights like those brutes in UFC.

Actually this is what fighting is. I have yet to see a real fight where two men wear pillows on their hands and dance around punching from the belt up, a belt mind you, that seems to fit some where around the top of their rib cage. Boxing is boring. I would rather see combat as it really happens. 12 rounds of a dancing contest is not for me.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
Actually this is what fighting is. I have yet to see a real fight where two men wear pillows on their hands and dance around punching from the belt up, a belt mind you, that seems to fit some where around the top of their rib cage. Boxing is boring. I would rather see combat as it really happens. 12 rounds of a dancing contest is not for me.

That depends on the fighter. Lennox Lewis was boring as hell, but I enjoyed watching him fight. Have you seen amateur boxing live? A lot of the time, since it's three rounds, those guys get to it and don't waste time. Yeah, the top contenders can be boring, especially the heavyweights, and they fight with gloves, but there is nobody in UFC that has the type of power a young Mike Tyson or Joe Fraiser had. The boxers would probably break their hands in the middle of the fight if they didn't use gloves. Also, with the amount of tape they put around their knuckles, there's not half as much cushion as you'd think. It's not much different than the gloves the UFC fighters wear. Also, the gloves, typically, are used for defensive purposes, not to cushion a punch that'd probably paralyze the average man.

Also, most of the fights you've seen between two, probably drunk, men... that's not a fight. That's two guys trying to be tough.

Lesnar was a NCAA Heavyweight champion, he is a legit athlete. Anyone who doesn't like MMA and think it's not technical go to one of the Jiu Jitsu gyms around town and sit in for a class (most will let you) then ask to roll with a guy or girl smaller than you and watch yourself get schooled.

I like both sports a lot and don't feel the need to slam boxing because over the last year or two I've watched more MMA. Also, being hit in the head over a 12 round boxing match, even with heavier gloves, does a lot more damage then a one punch MMA knockout.

To answer TSs question, look at Joe's on Weed street, they show a lot of stuff, if you're looking for boxing PPVs that might be the place. Also, with the economic downturn some boxing matches that likely would have been on PPV before are on HBO and Showtime, such as the Margarito/Mosley fight

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
That depends on the fighter. Lennox Lewis was boring as hell, but I enjoyed watching him fight. Have you seen amateur boxing live? A lot of the time, since it's three rounds, those guys get to it and don't waste time. Yeah, the top contenders can be boring, especially the heavyweights, and they fight with gloves, but there is nobody in UFC that has the type of power a young Mike Tyson or Joe Fraiser had. The boxers would probably break their hands in the middle of the fight if they didn't use gloves. Also, with the amount of tape they put around their knuckles, there's not half as much cushion as you'd think. It's not much different than the gloves the UFC fighters wear. Also, the gloves, typically, are used for defensive purposes, not to cushion a punch that'd probably paralyze the average man.

Also, most of the fights you've seen between two, probably drunk, men... that's not a fight. That's two guys trying to be tough.

Fedor does. You can disagree and minimize my arguments all you want (blood is red.cool), but the guy is amazing in the ring. And he DOES break his hands every time he fights, the guy throws absolute haymakers.

And after watching Buentello destroy Fedors little wannabe on affliction last weekend, I am much more impressed with the sport.

Hugging is fun to watch. Cool

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
You must also enjoy the four hours or so after applying new paint to a wall as well, then.

Beer and sitting on the couch is nice, yes. You going to add anything useful to the debate or just keep taking pot shots at me?

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)

This toe to toe crap is bulls***. Sure Mike Tyson has a killer punch, but Mike Tyson would be meat if he went up against Fedor under UFC rules. Mike has a punchers chance of landing something, but the fight would be. Fedor dropping Mike on the ground, Tyson scrambling, and then either having something broken or getting choked out. You cannot compare combat systems. You talk about the strength of a punch, I counter that with the power of a shin kick to your thigh or to your head. You want to watch a man buckle, have a guy trained in Kyokushin Kai or Thai give them a good inner thigh or outer thigh blast full contact.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
Fedor does. You can disagree and minimize my arguments all you want (blood is red.cool), but the guy is amazing in the ring. And he DOES break his hands every time he fights, the guy throws absolute haymakers.

And after watching Buentello destroy Fedors little wannabe on affliction last weekend, I am much more impressed with the sport.

Hugging is fun to watch. Cool

I don't know anything about the fighters you mentioned. As far as Fedor, he might want to take a look into boxing where the money is still larger if he truly can punch like a heavyweight champion. And if you enjoy explosions more, then stick with MMA. I'll stick with the history and class of boxing and continue to hate Don King for slowly killing it. If not for Don King, this debate probably doesn't exist.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
This toe to toe crap is bulls***. Sure Mike Tyson has a killer punch, but Mike Tyson would be meat if he went up against Fedor under UFC rules. Mike has a punchers chance of landing something, but the fight would be. Fedor dropping Mike on the ground, Tyson scrambling, and then either having something broken or getting choked out. You cannot compare combat systems. You talk about the strength of a punch, I counter that with the power of a shin kick to your thigh or to your head. You want to watch a man buckle, have a guy trained in Kyokushin Kai or Thai give them a good inner thigh or outer thigh blast full contact.

I never did compare combat systems, I was defending the gloves. And I never said a boxer could beat an MMA fighter under MMA rules. And besides, the opposite can be said for Fedor vs Tyson under boxing rules. Fedor wouldn't stand a chance. Kyyle already said this.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
I never did compare combat systems, I was defending the gloves. And I never said a boxer could beat an MMA fighter under MMA rules.

You mean that a boxer could beat a UFC fighter under boxing rules. Sure I agree. In a fight, not so much.

Edited by southsideirish71

Boxing ALL the way for me. The MMA stuff has no appeal to me. Watching Sugar Shane demolish Margarito this weekend was highly entertaining for me. It was quite a surprise because of the manner in which he whipped him. The welterweight division is set for many a great matchup in the near future. LONG LIVE THE SWEET SCIENCE.

If you really want "combat" as it is actually done as someone stated, then MMA should allow eye gouges, head butts, blows to the back of the head, blows to the groin, a good bite here and there etc. right.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
Boxing ALL the way for me. The MMA stuff has no appeal to me. Watching Sugar Shane demolish Margarito this weekend was highly entertaining for me. It was quite a surprise because of the manner in which he whipped him. The welterweight division is set for many a great matchup in the near future. LONG LIVE THE SWEET SCIENCE.

I wish I saw it.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
I never did compare combat systems, I was defending the gloves. And I never said a boxer could beat an MMA fighter under MMA rules. And besides, the opposite can be said for Fedor vs Tyson under boxing rules. Fedor wouldn't stand a chance. Kyyle already said this.

yeah you did, when you said "They couldnt hold the jock of (insert boxing hall of famers)" you made a comparison of the styles, and now you are backing off. The sports are different, we all know this. Boxing ate itself alive with corruption and different federations that wouldnt fight each other and political crap within the sport(like you said, Don King).

MMA stepped in and grew a fanbase because the mainstream boxing sport got stale

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)

Back in the day Tyson would have destroyed a lot of people. It depends on what era Tyson we are talking about

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
Beer and sitting on the couch is nice, yes. You going to add anything useful to the debate or just keep taking pot shots at me?

How was that a potshot. You outwardly said that he was boring but you enjoyed watching him.

If I'm forced to choose, I'm watching UFC. They do a much better job marketing their sport than boxing could ever hope to do. Boxing is only surviving off their oldest of competitors, and watching 12 rounds of no decisions gets a bit old.

For a sport that made tons of money off of "characters" such as Mike Tyson, George Foreman, etc, it's funny that you are so quick to dismiss the characters of UFC.

Bringing up guys whose heydays were in the 60s and 70s when we're talking about present-day sports makes no sense either. Boxing has nothing to offer in terms of entertainment value anymore.

ALSO: MMA involves much more than walking around in circles and swinging and blocking. Most of these boxers you list would get stomped in UFC.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
yeah you did, when you said "They couldnt hold the jock of (insert boxing hall of famers)" you made a comparison of the styles, and now you are backing off. The sports are different, we all know this. Boxing ate itself alive with corruption and different federations that wouldnt fight each other and political crap within the sport(like you said, Don King).

MMA stepped in and grew a fanbase because the mainstream boxing sport got stale

I ragged on MMA style, certainly--because I don't like it. I said Boxers have better punches, yes, and they do. But where can you quote me specifically comparing the two fighting styles? Basically I've gotten a lot back along the lines of a boxer couldn't take a kick to the leg or couldn't fight on the ground. I never said they could. I've also gotten back that, essentially, boxing isn't fighting. That is ridiculous.

What I meant by "they couldn't hold the jock strap of..." is that MMA has no history, it has no grace, it has no class; all it has is a brute style of fighting. Everyone knows the name Muhammad Ali and they know it for a reason. He was a great fighter, if not the greatest. The picture of that guy I posted, the guy in the speedo, apparently he's a big name MMA fighter. I've never seen, nor heard of him. I know I'm not the only one. I know that's of no fault of the sport, but when I'm 70 years old, my grandkids will know who Muhammad Ali is. Will they know who that guy in the speedo is?

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
I ragged on MMA style, certainly--because I don't like it. I said Boxers have better punches, yes, and they do. But where can you quote me specifically comparing the two fighting styles? Basically I've gotten a lot back along the lines of a boxer couldn't take a kick to the leg or couldn't fight on the ground. I never said they could. I've also gotten back that, essentially, boxing isn't fighting. That is ridiculous.

What I meant by "they couldn't hold the jock strap of..." is that MMA has no history, it has no grace, it has no class; all it has is a brute style of fighting. Everyone knows the name Muhammad Ali and they know it for a reason. He was a great fighter, if not the greatest. The picture of that guy I posted, the guy in the speedo, apparently he's a big name MMA fighter. I've never seen, nor heard of him. I know I'm not the only one. I know that's of no fault of the sport, but when I'm 70 years old, my grandkids will know who Muhammad Ali is. Will they know who that guy in the speedo is?

Well we will argue this in 50 years then. ;)