2001 World Series

Cali

I was watching the Baseball Seasons special on MLB Network about the '01 season. Am I the only one who was so freakin happy the D'Backs beat the Yankees? 9/11 or not, I still hate the Yankees. I was happy in 2001 and am still happy in 2009. I don't care if the city needed it, I REALLY don't like the Yankees. If they had won, I don't think we would have ever heard the end of it...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 11:57 PM)
It's like when New Orleans "needed" a winner more than us in '06 because of Katrina. If somebody crashes a plane into the Sears Tower does that mean Chicago "needs" a winner more than everybody else? Hell no! And the 2001 World Series was BY FAR the best of this decade.

The most politically incorrect sign to ever be shown on national television was at the NFC finals when a Bears fan had a sign saying "Let's finish what Katrina started".

I remember watching that World Series vividly. I was extremely into it, and definitely rooting for Arizona. The series as a whole was incredible, with momentum swinging back and forth constantly. The Yankees winning in New York was very cool, especially since the series ended up going in favor of the Diamondbacks. That last game...whew!

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
I was watching the Baseball Seasons special on MLB Network about the '01 season. Am I the only one who was so freakin happy the D'Backs beat the Yankees? 9/11 or not, I still hate the Yankees. I was happy in 2001 and am still happy in 2009. I don't care if the city needed it, I REALLY don't like the Yankees. If they had won, I don't think we would have ever heard the end of it...

I also watched this on Sunday and relived the awesomness that was the 2001 World Series. I hate the Yankees, but it was pretty cool how they came back to win back to back games when down 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th. Of course, it was even better to see Mariano blow the 7th game. In my opinion, this series was definitely the most entertaining non-White Sox series that i remember watching.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 08:11 AM)
This series turned Byun Yung Kim from an untouchable phenom into a complete bust. I remember feeling an odd satisfaction that Mark Grace got a ring

The satisfaction was from Grace winning a ring NOT as a member of the Chicago Cubs.

I remember watching that whole series and it was easily the best series I have ever seen. From the back to back blown games by Kim, to the pitching of Unit and Schilling, to the 9th innning, game 7 comeback against the "greatest postseason reliever ever", it was pretty awesome. I was definitely rooting for the D-Backs, just cause I was sick of the Yankees winning every year, and at that time, I had no idea how big of a d-bag Schilling was...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)
It's like when New Orleans "needed" a winner more than us in '06 because of Katrina. If somebody crashes a plane into the Sears Tower does that mean Chicago "needs" a winner more than everybody else? Hell no! And the 2001 World Series was BY FAR the best of this decade.

Cough, 2005, cough.

i remember watching that series on the tv in my parents bedroom. and yeah, i was rooting arizona all the way. for whatever reason, that one and 05 are the only series to really stand out in my head of this decade. come on - at the time, the schilling johnson thing was incredible to watch.

• 2 weeks later...