Obama to make first formal TV interview tonight...

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's capitalizing on his momentum and getting America's message out there while he has credibility (Bush lost the ability to do this some years ago which is why either he never did, or when he did things like this nobody listened). If there is one thing that AQ and associated groups are significantly better at than us, it's media manipulation.

I have never been too concerned about first this or first that, which seems to be the entire concern about this. So no biggie to me. Appear wherever.

Now, it will be interesting what message he sends. If it is something along the lines of "I'm here to listen, not dictate" that will make me happy.

al arabiya is pretty legit. There are huge differences in reporting language between al jazeera english and al jazeera arabic but from what I studied of al arabiya it is far less gory than al jazeera, but clearly middle east framed in the same way american media is western framed. Al arabiya, like qatar al jazeera, will only criticize outside governments, not their own, however. They have, like, no way of figuring out their ratings too, which I found interesting. I guess its really hard to get a census in Saudi Arabia.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
al arabiya is pretty legit. There are huge differences in reporting language between al jazeera english and al jazeera arabic but from what I studied of al arabiya it is far less gory than al jazeera, but clearly middle east framed in the same way american media is western framed. Al arabiya, like qatar al jazeera, will only criticize outside governments, not their own, however. They have, like, no way of figuring out their ratings too, which I found interesting. I guess its really hard to get a census in Saudi Arabia.

I had a guy once tell me he preferred Al-Aribiyah to Al-Jazeera because "those guys are killing me."

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
I had a guy once tell me he preferred Al-Aribiyah to Al-Jazeera because "those guys are killing me."

Well, yeah. I mean I assume American military would prefer anything over al jazeera which shows graphic images of our dead soldiers. But, I mean, as much as it disturbs me, it also hurts me they have a point. They have a point that we can look at 100 arabs die and brush it off, see terrible images of them and not care, the way we do other people in tragedies. They claim they are trying to show how equally awful these deaths to arabs are by provoking similar reactions to other groups. It's very sensational and heavy handed. But, I have to give Al Jazeera english credit, they aren't bad. They hired a ton of BBC journalists who were formerly their middle east reporters and the editorial is just incredibly different. It really would give you the balanced perspective as opposed to the western perspective.

I should mention that al arabiya's editorial shows would make americans likely angry.

One thing more. I struggle to put this into words concisely or with anything resembling intelligence. Andrew Sullivan touched upon something very important about Obama being president and what it means to the middle east, and specifically this small gesture in general. Tom Friedman had a tv special where he went to saudi arabia and other middle eastern countries to figure out where this anger to the US is coming from.

A top reason for murder in the world is embarrassment. Which is so, I mean, shallow and dumb compared to other things but it's a reality. And the result of that special was that Arabs feel slighted by the world. They feel like they should be more respected for once being the cradle of civilization and are ashamed they are left so far behind. But, as a professor said in the program when Friedman was at a university, "They look up to America so much, and are so hurt when America looks down upon them." So, this language by Obama, the fact of his background, it's important in speaking to the Arabs in the Middle East and talking to them as people, that we do understand their concerns and don't think of them as dogs, could be very influential. And it's just such a simple thing to do.

I am glad this was happening, especially in America during the election I was worried the effects of Obama brushing off coldly accusations he was muslim instead of embracing Muslims but correcting the myth. American muslims do very well in our culture, the last thing we want is to marginalize a culture for silly reasons not relating to them. We are so lucky not to have the problems of france.

It's pretty hard to get a word edgewise in the Arab political discourse when b****ing about Israel dominates everything. Another (greatly oversimplified) reason the Israel/Palestinian thing has such strategic importance.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
I'm cautiously optimistic about what George Mitchell could accomplish. BUt boy, I hope we don't get the worst out of the Israeli elections.

Another conservative Israeli government? Yeah that would suck.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 08:24 AM)
It's pretty hard to get a word edgewise in the Arab political discourse when b****ing about Israel dominates everything. Another (greatly oversimplified) reason the Israel/Palestinian thing has such strategic importance.

It's hard to stop the b****ing about Israel when the Israel mess keeps coming back to the forefront, too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
There is an old Vulcan proverb. Only Nixon could go to China.

I think I'm thinking the same thing. One might assume that because Netanyahu is a hawk that he'd be more reluctant to get any kind of peace deal, but things often run counter to expectations. So who knows...

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
I think I'm thinking the same thing. One might assume that because Netanyahu is a hawk that he'd be more reluctant to get any kind of peace deal, but things often run counter to expectations. So who knows...

Problem is, there's "Hawks" and then there's "Crazy, Cheney/Rumsfeld/Wolfowitz" hawks. There's hawks who will still realize that bombing everything doesn't work, especially if you start to cut off their supply of guns. And then there's the hawks who think the solution to that problem is to find something else to bomb. Netanyahu has given me every impression that he's in the latter group. But yeah, we'll see.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
Well, yeah. I mean I assume American military would prefer anything over al jazeera which shows graphic images of our dead soldiers. But, I mean, as much as it disturbs me, it also hurts me they have a point. They have a point that we can look at 100 arabs die and brush it off, see terrible images of them and not care, the way we do other people in tragedies. They claim they are trying to show how equally awful these deaths to arabs are by provoking similar reactions to other groups. It's very sensational and heavy handed. But, I have to give Al Jazeera english credit, they aren't bad. They hired a ton of BBC journalists who were formerly their middle east reporters and the editorial is just incredibly different. It really would give you the balanced perspective as opposed to the western perspective.

I should mention that al arabiya's editorial shows would make americans likely angry.

One thing more. I struggle to put this into words concisely or with anything resembling intelligence. Andrew Sullivan touched upon something very important about Obama being president and what it means to the middle east, and specifically this small gesture in general. Tom Friedman had a tv special where he went to saudi arabia and other middle eastern countries to figure out where this anger to the US is coming from.

A top reason for murder in the world is embarrassment. Which is so, I mean, shallow and dumb compared to other things but it's a reality. And the result of that special was that Arabs feel slighted by the world. They feel like they should be more respected for once being the cradle of civilization and are ashamed they are left so far behind. But, as a professor said in the program when Friedman was at a university, "They look up to America so much, and are so hurt when America looks down upon them." So, this language by Obama, the fact of his background, it's important in speaking to the Arabs in the Middle East and talking to them as people, that we do understand their concerns and don't think of them as dogs, could be very influential. And it's just such a simple thing to do.

I am glad this was happening, especially in America during the election I was worried the effects of Obama brushing off coldly accusations he was muslim instead of embracing Muslims but correcting the myth. American muslims do very well in our culture, the last thing we want is to marginalize a culture for silly reasons not relating to them. We are so lucky not to have the problems of france.

First, if you think that by hiring BBC journalists that somehow lends them an air of respecability, you are mistaken there, The BBc is more liberal there than PBS and NPR is here.

Second, as for the 'cradle of civilization thing, they have become the armpit of civilization to their own lack of willingness to get with the program and live in the 21st century. Their whole belief system and culture needs to get out of the 12th century. Quit living and acting like dogs and maybe they wouldn't be looked at as dogs. If they are so ashamed at being so far behind, then build somethign instead of blowing things up.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
First, if you think that by hiring BBC journalists that somehow lends them an air of respecability, you are mistaken there, The BBc is more liberal there than PBS and NPR is here.

Second, as for the 'cradle of civilization thing, they have become the armpit of civilization to their own lack of willingness to get with the program and live in the 21st century. Their whole belief system and culture needs to get out of the 12th century. Quit living and acting like dogs and maybe they wouldn't be looked at as dogs. If they are so ashamed at being so far behind, then build somethign instead of blowing things up.

Who is "they" in your post?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)

So it only took one week for you to take cues from the new president... :lolhitting

Was that intentional?

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
Who is "they" in your post?

"And the result of that special was that Arabs feel slighted by the world. They feel like they should be more respected for once being the cradle of civilization and are ashamed they are left so far behind."

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
I'm cautiously optimistic about what George Mitchell could accomplish. BUt boy, I hope we don't get the worst out of the Israeli elections.

There is a real tight rope here, and Obama could very well push the Israelis into a real nasty corner judging by his early actions. He has already taken a much harder stance against Israel over their latest battles with Gaza. Also with him going first onto Arab TV, it could very easily turn into a message in the pro-war sections of Israel that the US is abandoning them, and they will have to take matters into their own hands.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
There is a real tight rope here, and Obama could very well push the Israelis into a real nasty corner judging by his early actions. He has already taken a much harder stance against Israel over their latest battles with Gaza. Also with him going first onto Arab TV, it could very easily turn into a message in the pro-war sections of Israel that the US is abandoning them, and they will have to take matters into their own hands.

What exactly can they do if we stop shipping them large pools of currency which they use to buy U.S. made bombs?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
What exactly can they do if we stop shipping them large pools of currency which they use to buy U.S. made bombs?

The only thing that really stops Israel from really fighting with their neighbors is relations with the US. If they felt that the US had abandoned them, I have 100% belief that they will pull out all of the stops next time they are attacked. There would be no reason for them to take all of the extra measures to stop civilian casualties.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
The only thing that really stops Israel from really fighting with their neighbors is relations with the US. If they felt that the US had abandoned them, I have 100% belief that they will pull out all of the stops next time they are attacked. There would be no reason for them to take all of the extra measures to stop civilian casualties.

So basically you're saying that Israel is more suicidal than Iran under Ahmadinejad ever could possibly be considered to be? Basically you're saying that if the U.S. pulled back its support, Israel would decide that the appropriate response would be to take the rest of the middle east with it. Why in the world would we want to support people who are blackmailing us with their own suicide?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
So basically you're saying that Israel is more suicidal than Iran under Ahmadinejad ever could possibly be considered to be? Basically you're saying that if the U.S. pulled back its support, Israel would decide that the appropriate response would be to take the rest of the middle east with it. Why in the world would we want to support people who are blackmailing us with their own suicide?

Because Isreal doesn't care about anyone or anything except staying right where it is.