DTV Transition Officially delayed to June 12

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At worst, you're out $40 or $50 for a DAC. You're not forced to buy an HDTV or get cable or satellite. The government received billions of dollars from the sale of the spectrum, so you can even argue that the "rabbit ears" people are still getting something out of it.

Why should we waste a portion of the spectrum on redundant signals?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
Which is of course...why the government had that large program to help people buy the converters available...until it ran out of money in the late part of the previous administration.

Are you seriously going to point fingers at Bush for this? Give it up. He's gone. You've got your "change."

The problem was they allowed 2 coupons per household. If you're so damned poor that you can't afford your own converter box then why do you have 2 TVs? If they would have limited it to one per they wouldn;t have run out of money.

QUOTE (mreye @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
Are you seriously going to point fingers at Bush for this? Give it up. He's gone. You've got your "change."

The problem was they allowed 2 coupons per household. If you're so damned poor that you can't afford your own converter box then why do you have 2 TVs? If they would have limited it to one per they wouldn;t have run out of money.

I'm also thinking that a lot of people who didn't really need the boxes were confused and got a coupon anyway, which limited the number available for those who really do need it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)
I'm also thinking that a lot of people who didn't really need the boxes were confused and got a coupon anyway, which limited the number available for those who really do need it.

Another problem will come up when they get to the store with their coupon and find out they still have to pay 15-20 bucks out of pocket!

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)
I got my TV for five dollars. Perhaps they did too.

Not brand new. It's old, I assume. Like the three in my garage I got for free. So, they should wait for these converter boxes to be available for $5 or free.

QUOTE (mreye @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
Not brand new. It's old, I assume. Like the three in my garage I got for free. So, they should wait for these converter boxes to be available for $5 or free.

Correct. Used TV. I assume these aren't rich people just using bunny ears to screw the cable companies out of profit. So, if 40 bucks is too difficult, let's assume as well that newspapers are too difficult, and that they have no internet. I don't think it's a smart move to isolate such a large portion of the pop. for market values. There already is a large knowledge gap, lets not take away another source where they could still be knowledgable in this democracy. This really isn't that big of a deal.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
Correct. Used TV. I assume these aren't rich people just using bunny ears to screw the cable companies out of profit. So, if 40 bucks is too difficult, let's assume as well that newspapers are too difficult, and that they have no internet. I don't think it's a smart move to isolate such a large portion of the pop. for market values. There already is a large knowledge gap, lets not take away another source where they could still be knowledgable in this democracy. This really isn't that big of a deal.

Oh, I agree. My argument isn't that we shouldn't have the coupon program. My argument is it was grossly mismanaged (Imagine that). They should have limited it to one coupon and then there wouldn't be this complaint about all these people that will be in the dark on Feb 17.

I think many people got 2 even when they only have one TV that needs it, or have very little need for a converter, period. :ph34r: I got two coupons for two of my garage TVs that are on an antenna in the attic. I rarely watch TV in there (It's mostly used for karaoke and DVDs), but I figured if my tax dollars are going to pay for $40 of the $55 converters why shouldn't I take advantage of that.

QUOTE (mreye @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 05:41 PM)
Oh, I agree. My argument isn't that we shouldn't have the coupon program. My argument is it was grossly mismanaged (Imagine that). They should have limited it to one coupon and then there wouldn't be this complaint about all these people that will be in the dark on Feb 17.

I think many people got 2 even when they only have one TV that needs it, or have very little need for a converter, period. :ph34r: I got two coupons for two of my garage TVs that are on an antenna in the attic. I rarely watch TV in there (It's mostly used for karaoke and DVDs), but I figured if my tax dollars are going to pay for $40 of the $55 converters why shouldn't I take advantage of that.

Ah, sorry. I agree. Ugh, too often I find myself carrying all the arguments of the thread and attributing it to the person I'm conversing with at the moment.

But public TV though? Isn't that where the government should be involved?

Eh, the FCC could lose some fat and save tome tax dollars. Doesn't anyone really care if a program says the "f" word? if it bothers you so much, why are you watching the program.

Of course then's there's the whole deal about profanity. It's just words.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh God I love this country.

OK, so the DTV transition hasn't been perfect.

While the early analog-cutoff of 421 TV stations on Feb. 17 has gone relative smoothly according to most reports, that was not the case of at least one Missouri man, according to KARE-TV Minneapolis-ST. Paul.

The station reports that a 70-year-old Joplin man was arrested and charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm after shooting his TV set. Responding to a report of shots being fired, the station reported, the police found the man angry that he had both lost his cable and had been unable to get his new DTV converter box to work.

According to the man's wife, he had been drinking.