Cora sees Fields as a shocker

scenario

Link to Suntimes article by Cowley.

"Camp Cora has been up and running all winter for the White Sox, and the progress reports have third baseman Josh Fields emerging as a leading candidate to ''shock'' the organization when he reports to spring training in a little more than three weeks.

Manager Ozzie Guillen criticized Fields last season for what Guillen felt were diminishing skills. So after clean-up knee surgery in the fall, Fields made a trip to Florida to work with Guillen and bench coach Joey Cora in preparation for taking over for free agent Joe Crede."

His goal? To make sure Guillen can't criticize him -- specifically his defense -- any longer.

''I talked to Joey [on Monday] and he said [Fields is] moving better by far than he's ever moved,'' hitting coach Greg Walker said. ''He said we'll be shocked.''

There were also comments in the article about Alexei, Viciedo, and Paulie.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah this is pretty much a make or break season for Fields, the 3B job is really his for the taking. Im not expecting too much but I was a fan when we drafted him so hoping for the best. I do think Getz might be our best rookie next season and surprise a lot of people with what he is able to do.

The Trib has an article on Fields too.

Chicago White Sox's Josh Fields to skip SoxFest to concentrate on training

Josh Fields won't attend SoxFest—a decision he and the club are at peace with. That's because Fields, the club's leading contender to start at third base, is working on his defense that he said has improved considerably thanks to spending two weekends in Miami this month under the supervision of coach Joey Cora.

"I've noticed a big difference," Fields said Tuesday from Bradenton, Fla., where he was in the midst of twice daily workouts. "I'm excited about the progress I've made."

Fields, who hit 23 home runs in 100 games in 2007 but was stuck at Triple-A Charlotte nagged by a right knee injury in 2008, has noticed an improvement in his flexibility since undergoing lateral release surgery in October.

"I can stay lower—not have to stand up and then move," Fields said. "I've learned a lot from Joey, who can wear you out quickly from hitting grounders. But I've been able to do things over and over. I've been getting positive feedback from a coach who you look to for advice."

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
yeah this is pretty much a make or break season for Fields, the 3B job is really his for the taking. Im not expecting too much but I was a fan when we drafted him so hoping for the best. I do think Getz might be our best rookie next season and surprise a lot of people with what he is able to do.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
The Trib has an article on Fields too.

Chicago White Sox's Josh Fields to skip SoxFest to concentrate on training

Josh Fields won't attend SoxFest—a decision he and the club are at peace with. That's because Fields, the club's leading contender to start at third base, is working on his defense that he said has improved considerably thanks to spending two weekends in Miami this month under the supervision of coach Joey Cora.

"I've noticed a big difference," Fields said Tuesday from Bradenton, Fla., where he was in the midst of twice daily workouts. "I'm excited about the progress I've made."

Fields, who hit 23 home runs in 100 games in 2007 but was stuck at Triple-A Charlotte nagged by a right knee injury in 2008, has noticed an improvement in his flexibility since undergoing lateral release surgery in October.

"I can stay lower—not have to stand up and then move," Fields said. "I've learned a lot from Joey, who can wear you out quickly from hitting grounders. But I've been able to do things over and over. I've been getting positive feedback from a coach who you look to for advice."

I think that was his plan as a player, too.

Awesome...I've ripped Josh more than a lot of people. I think he has a lot of natural ability and tools but I think his swing has a decent size hole in it that will prevent him from ever hitting for much of an average. However, I could see him being a player similar to Troy Glaus (ie, big power, albeit Glaus had a lot more massive power in his prime not a great average).

Please bring back Joe Crede. I would think the price would be right and Joe >than Josh. I know it isn't going to happen, but I am afraid we will see some loses in 2009 because of inferior defense at 3B. I don't put much faith in these off season stories centered around how much better someone is looking. They all look and perform better during winter reconditioning.

Im sorry but 2 weeks of training isnt going to drastically improve your defense. He better keep up the same routine all the way through ST if he really wants to change. The kid has the athleticism and the arm to play a decent 3B, its his feet that are the issue. He wont ever hit for avg but can put up a good OPS for us near the bottom of the order.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
Please bring back Joe Crede. I would think the price would be right and Joe >than Josh. I know it isn't going to happen, but I am afraid we will see some loses in 2009 because of inferior defense at 3B. I don't put much faith in these off season stories centered around how much better someone is looking. They all look and perform better during winter reconditioning.

Not

Gonna

Happen

I don't put much faith in these off seasons stories centered around how healthy Joe Crede is either.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
Im sorry but 2 weeks of training isnt going to drastically improve your defense. He better keep up the same routine all the way through ST if he really wants to change. The kid has the athleticism and the arm to play a decent 3B, its his feet that are the issue. He wont ever hit for avg but can put up a good OPS for us near the bottom of the order.

I don't think anyone really knew how bad his knee was last season. He was interviewed at an Okl St football game and said he could barely stand. However, I think we can expect to see an article like this about every 10 days on how a Sox rookie is going to be a real sleeper this season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
Im sorry but 2 weeks of training isnt going to drastically improve your defense.

Sure it can, if the result is a change in technique.

The key to success after that is being able to consistently apply it without lapsing into bad habits.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)

crede(who has never had one great/good FULL season)and his bad back

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
I don't think anyone really knew how bad his knee was last season. He was interviewed at an Okl St football game and said he could barely stand. However, I think we can expect to see an article like this about every 10 days on how a Sox rookie is going to be a real sleeper this season.

Thats the real wildcard. Fielding is really affected by bad knees, back, ankles, even neck because of the bending required to both field the ball and to move around your zone. I think he has the potential to be a decent fielding 3B, but its going to take alot of work over the next few months. I DO like the fact that he is eager to change and take the starting role for himself.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
crede(who has never had one great/good FULL season)and his bad back

O.k. I hope you are joking and not serious...If you are not, then seriously you are not a real whitesox fan! I mean 2005 Joe was are best clutch hitter and proved it all through the playoffs and world series..He also was the one who pushed us over the edge with the gamewinner against cleveland that year. Apparently you have only been watching the Sox for the last 2 years...

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
Sure it can, if the result is a change in technique.

The key to success after that is being able to consistently apply it without lapsing into bad habits.

He has taken 2 weekends of groundballs. That's not even a week of spring training. While I'm hopeful he has improved, for anyone to say he's shockingly better is a stretch. We will see when the games count. We are at the time of the year where every player in the news is looking like they will be awesome in 2009 or be out for a while.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
best part of article is viciendo looks like a monster in batting cage

so was Joe Borchard. In batting practice he hit them to the concourse.

In the game it was like the movie "it happens every spring" where they put wood repllent on the ball and they couldn't make contact.

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:37 AM)
O.k. I hope you are joking and not serious...If you are not, then seriously you are not a real whitesox fan! I mean 2005 Joe was are best clutch hitter and proved it all through the playoffs and world series..He also was the one who pushed us over the edge with the gamewinner against cleveland that year. Apparently you have only been watching the Sox for the last 2 years...

i watch every game. all i was stating is that crede has yet to have a FULL great year. meaning really good in a first half and really good in a 2nd half. atleast really consistent in both halfs. not a great half than a garbage 2nd half. and i agree he was a really good clutch hitter in 05, im not denying that. but i said year, overall. and this was his line that year anyways: .252, 22, 62, .303 obp. fine, thats great.

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)

It was 2 weekends if I read correctly. I think the strory is that Fields is doing everything he can to get betterand show he wants to get better. I think his health and athleticism will help him be good enough defensively. The fact he sought out guillen and Cora to work with him will only him him when he gets to Tucson.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
I think we can expect to see an article like this about every 10 days on how a Sox rookie is going to be a real sleeper this season.

Yep. The fluff articles are going to be out of control. I can't wait to read how FILTHY the Marquez sinker is!!!