Cora sees Fields as a shocker

scenario

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
i watch every game. all i was stating is that crede has yet to have a FULL great year. meaning really good in a first half and really good in a 2nd half. atleast really consistent in both halfs. not a great half than a garbage 2nd half

You are 100% correct. Joe Crede from mid September to the end of October was GREAT and Brooks Robinsonesque or dare I say Ron Santoesque . Joe Crede in the first half of 2006 was a monster....... we know how this movie finished.

Can we leave Joe Crede out of this now.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
It was 2 weekends if I read correctly. I think the strory is that Fields is doing everything he can to get betterand show he wants to get better. I think his health and athleticism will help him be good enough defensively. The fact he sought out guillen and Cora to work with him will only him him when he gets to Tucson.

I will give him credit for trying. I just don't see how a coach hitting you grounders for a few hours takes you from mediocre at best to a good defensive player. As I stated above, and while I'm no fan of Fields, I have never thought he was as bad defensively as most, he blows easy plays. He's made some great ones. You can't hit a guy grounders for 4 or 5 days and say his bad fielding days are over.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
Please bring back Joe Crede. I would think the price would be right and Joe >than Josh. I know it isn't going to happen, but I am afraid we will see some loses in 2009 because of inferior defense at 3B. I don't put much faith in these off season stories centered around how much better someone is looking. They all look and perform better during winter reconditioning.

There's a reason Joe Crede isn't on a major league club today. HE'S DONE AND NOBODY WANTS HIM!

Get over your ridiculous man crush on him. It's over. Joe Crede is over.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
I will give him credit for trying. I just don't see how a coach hitting you grounders for a few hours takes you from mediocre at best to a good defensive player. As I stated above, and while I'm no fan of Fields, I have never thought he was as bad defensively as most, he blows easy plays. He's made some great ones. You can't hit a guy grounders for 4 or 5 days and say his bad fielding days are over.

What I never understand is why don't young players and coaches work year around? Why aren't Josh Fields and Joey Cora working somewhere daily to work on this stuff. Maybe it would be overkill........

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
You are 100% correct. Joe Crede from mid September to the end of October was GREAT and Brooks Robinsonesque or dare I say Ron Santoesque . Joe Crede in the first half of 2006 was a monster....... we know how this movie finished.

Can we leave Joe Crede out of this now.

And seriously how many players in this league are hot all season long besides maybe Albert Pujols? Every player has hot and cold months, but it's what makes the defense and team better. Crede's presence alone was enough even when he was slumping a bit because his defense was always stellar...Let's compare the 2...who would you rather have..

A guy who strikes out less than 100 times a year or more than 150 in a full season?

A guy who has been an all star or not?

A guy who's defense is predictable or unpredictable?

A guy who when we need a clutch hit will deliver or not?

I mean Crede over Fields for me anyday even with the back problem.. We got Betemit and Viciedo waiting in the wings..I would sign Crede to a one year deal because the guy is proven. Also what would happen to Joe Joe the late inning hero?

This leads me to believe that Josh is our starting third baseman barring any catastrophies. It really seemed like Ozzie's MO to have Betemit starting at 3B come opening day.

I imagine "defensive ability" to the majority of baseball fans is what the announcer/managements "public" opinion.

Ask 90% of the people at the Cell what they think of JD's RF defense and they will tell you he is awesome... because Hawk says so. C'MON JD! YES!

So if Cora tells us Josh looks good at 3rd, obviously there is a chance he is progressing, but odds are Joey is just "breaking us in" for a season of Fields at the hot corner.

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
And seriously how many players in this league are hot all season long besides maybe Albert Pujols? Every player has hot and cold months, but it's what makes the defense and team better. Crede's presence alone was enough even when he was slumping a bit because his defense was always stellar...Let's compare the 2...who would you rather have..

A guy who strikes out less than 100 times a year or more than 150 in a full season?

I mean Crede over Fields for me anyday even with the back problem.. We got Betemit and Viciedo waiting in the wings..I would sign Crede to a one year deal because the guy is proven. Also what would happen to Joe Joe the late inning hero?

The last two years are all I needed to see from Crede. A healthy Joe Crede last year does wonders for that team. I am not saying that Fields is better than Crede just that Crede isn't worth the risk. With Boras dishing out medical reports I do not trust that Joe Crede will ever play again.

Fields.

wow, i see some ppl on here are having trouble moving on lol thats the old crede!! hes not on a team for a reason! and it was never stated that crede has never been "hot" all year in any season, just that he has never been consistent for a whole year. its one thing to have a bad month or 2 if anything, but not half the year.

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)

You're completely skipping over the fact that Crede has not been healthy, and has been bad recently. And then you mention that Crede has been an all star, but Fields has been in the league for less than two years. Let's give him a chance to see if he is also an all star, and if his defense will become "predictable" and his offense "clutch."

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
What I never understand is why don't young players and coaches work year around? Why aren't Josh Fields and Joey Cora working somewhere daily to work on this stuff. Maybe it would be overkill........

For Fields, I can give you a very good answer; rehab. Knee surgery last October to hopefully correct the knee problems that dogged him all year last year.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)
I wish the best for Josh. Could these articles be to increase his trade value?

Articles like these won't increase his trade value.

They're intended to influence fan's opinions, not GMs.

Besides, I don't think the Sox have any intention of trading Fields until another player is ready to step in as a starter. And Betemit ain't it.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 06:19 PM)
I wish the best for Josh. Could these articles be to increase his trade value?

One can only hope. People here say to move on from Crede's days and embrace Fields. Crede has back problems, or did, they point out and is an injury liability. However, they seem to forget that Fields was injured and is coming back from injury rehab also. We seem to forget that fact. I am sure that Crede won't be back (pardon the pun), but that doesn't mean I have to like it-accept it yes, but not like it. I see Fields as a defensive liability, who can swing a good bat, or at least he showed that for half a year or so. He doesn't have enough history for me to praise his prowress with the bat. I saw what he showed with the glove and I was not impressed with that part of his game. However, if Cora wants to give us the ole pre-season pump up fine, but we all know that every team in the majors and their players will be getting that from their coaching staff and manager. It's a great time to dream-the off season that is. I want Fields to suceed for sure because it sure looks like he is the 3B option right now. It's a roll of the dice soemtimes. :gosox3:

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
crede(who has never had one great/good FULL season)and his bad back

Melissa I think you must be typing faster than you are thinking. Joe Crede was the man in 2005 for sure. He is also widely preaised for his defense and clutch hitting and not just by Sox fans

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
One can only hope. People here say to move on from Crede's days and embrace Fields. Crede has back problems, or did, they point out and is an injury liability. However, they seem to forget that Fields was injured and is coming back from injury rehab also. We seem to forget that fact. I am sure that Crede won't be back (pardon the pun), but that doesn't mean I have to like it-accept it yes, but not like it. I see Fields as a defensive liability, who can swing a good bat, or at least he showed that for half a year or so. He doesn't have enough history for me to praise his prowress with the bat. I saw what he showed with the glove and I was not impressed with that part of his game. However, if Cora wants to give us the ole pre-season pump up fine, but we all know that every team in the majors and their players will be getting that from their coaching staff and manager. It's a great time to dream-the off season that is. I want Fields to suceed for sure because it sure looks like he is the 3B option right now. It's a roll of the dice soemtimes. :gosox3:

A one time knee injury is not nearly the same as a chronic back problem.

Look, I have been a big Crede fan and defender on this site. The only official jersey I have ever owned is a Crede. When healthy, he is a marvel to watch at 3B, and yes, he is (when healthy) better than Fields.

But Crede is a HUGE injury liability - you can't dismiss that or equate it to something much different. I don't like that this is the case, but, his career has about a 10% chance of surviving at this point.

So, including the full picture of reality (not just what-ifs), you really have to say that Fields is a much better and cheaper choice for the Sox.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
Melissa I think you must be typing faster than you are thinking. Joe Crede was the man in 2005 for sure. He was also widely preaised for his defense and clutch hitting and not just by Sox fans

Fixed for accuracy.

I love Crede, but if he isn't healthy and can't stay healthy, he is worthless as a baseball player and there's no point in talking about it.

This will be a really interesting year for Fields. His 3B defense was always pretty suspect, enough that he was sent off to left field. It wasn't for more than a couple of games, but the fact that they even tried it says a lot with how displeased they were with his glove there.

He had a nice rookie start and flashed his tremendous power until the world figured him out. Throw the kid some heat and he's lost. This year tells us if he's a good enough hitter to make an adjustment (hit a fastball) or a Quad-A player that can't hack it.

I don't even really like his upside (.260, 30 HR, 4:1 K:BB ratio). Wonder what we could have gotten back if we traded him at peak value.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
Wonder what we could have gotten back if we traded him at peak value.

I think we might have been able to deal him straight up for Scott Linebrink back in 2006. Wonder what the world would be like if the Sox had gotten their hands on Scott Linebrink.

I'm actually really excited to see what Fields can do over a full season. I see something similar to Mark Reynolds' 2008, but it wouldn't be surprising if he performed a little better than that either. And having another lefty killer in the lineup doesn't hurt matters either.