Cora sees Fields as a shocker

scenario

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
Please bring back Joe Crede. I would think the price would be right and Joe >than Josh. I know it isn't going to happen, but I am afraid we will see some loses in 2009 because of inferior defense at 3B. I don't put much faith in these off season stories centered around how much better someone is looking. They all look and perform better during winter reconditioning.

LMAO, then why ever would you want Joe Crede, the king of looking good during offseason rehab, to come back to the Sox?

GET OVER IT

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
I think we might have been able to deal him straight up for Scott Linebrink back in 2006. Wonder what the world would be like if the Sox had gotten their hands on Scott Linebrink.

What a strange world that would be... the skies would be bluer, the grass greener, and beer would flow like wine!

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
Why would that be so bad? That's a pretty good OPS for an unproven player, and it's better than the 3B production the Sox got last year.

It's actually quite similar to what the Sox got at 3B last season - Sox 3Bman put up a .763 OPS last season. Take out 109 K's and it's quite possible that Sox 3Bman had a more productive season, including productive outs.

I find if amazing that people still believe Scott Boras and his annual glowing offseason reports. All of his clients are 100% healthy and ready to have breakout 2009 seasons! I guess you're willing to believe the lies of a scumbag like Boras when he represents a f***ing deity like Joe Crede. I guess Boras' scheme to keep Crede off the field for the remainder of the 2008 season is working on some people. He's a 31 year old broken down shell of a formerly good baseball player. It's time to move on and finally find some stability at a position that's been in turmoil since the end of the 2006 season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
It's actually quite similar to what the Sox got at 3B last season - Sox 3Bman put up a .763 OPS last season. Take out 109 K's and it's quite possible that Sox 3Bman had a more productive season, including productive outs.

Last year OG said that there was 2 fields, the spring training Fields who og said he could play a major league third base and the end of ther season where fields third play defense was beyond bad. At the beginning of the season we tried Joe. Joe played his worst defense at third and we, the fans knew it was his back. That meant that Fields plays at triple A CHARLOTTE. his knee got banged up and because of that he was not playing too well defensively. Uribe steps in and plays a decent 3rd. October rolls around and Fields gets his knee operated on unlike Crede who refused an operation on his back which cost us losing him for much of 2007. So, if this articles claims he's trying hard I want to believe it.. We haven't heard too much about Joey Cora in any offseason so to me it was an interesting article it gave me a sense of let us not sell Fields short. If Fields can improve defensively and as one man said he can learn to hit fastballs and right handers we have a bonafied new third baseman. Crede was horrible against lefties and fields hits them well. We still have Betemit who hits righties better than lefties who is not the worst option if Viciedo isn't ready for the bigs immediately. Viciedo may be more of a first baseman anyway. I hope Joey knows what he's talking about.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
Last year OG said that there was 2 fields, the spring training Fields who og said he could play a major league third base and the end of ther season where fields third play defense was beyond bad. At the beginning of the season we tried Joe. Joe played his worst defense at third and we, the fans knew it was his back. That meant that Fields plays at triple A CHARLOTTE. his knee got banged up and because of that he was not playing too well defensively. Uribe steps in and plays a decent 3rd. October rolls around and Fields gets his knee operated on unlike Crede who refused an operation on his back which cost us losing him for much of 2007. So, if this articles claims he's trying hard I want to believe it.. We haven't heard too much about Joey Cora in any offseason so to me it was an interesting article it gave me a sense of let us not sell Fields short. If Fields can improve defensively and as one man said he can learn to hit fastballs and right handers we have a bonafied new third baseman. Crede was horrible against lefties and fields hits them well. We still have Betemit who hits righties better than lefties who is not the worst option if Viciedo isn't ready for the bigs immediately. Viciedo may be more of a first baseman anyway. I hope Joey knows what he's talking about.

There are a lot of players who could be pretty good if they learned to hit right handers, fastballs and how to field.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
There are a lot of players who could be pretty good if they learned to hit right handers, fastballs and how to field.

At least with the way our division looks...if one or two of these guys can step up and we get average years from the normal group (Q, Konerko, Dye, Thome, AJ, Buehrle, Danks/Floyd, Jenks, Linebrink) then we'd have a really good shot at the division. We survived last year with a couple positions sitting as gaping holes for most of the year. One or two guys step up to fill those holes and we're a better team than we were then right away.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)

True. I suppose I have some selective memory. I remember a nice start by Crede followed by a ton of suckiness at the plate and in the field. Uribe also had a nice run but tapered off as well. Consistent production on offense from a Sox 3B would be nice after the last couple of years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
At least with the way our division looks...if one or two of these guys can step up and we get average years from the normal group (Q, Konerko, Dye, Thome, AJ, Buehrle, Danks/Floyd, Jenks, Linebrink) then we'd have a really good shot at the division. We survived last year with a couple positions sitting as gaping holes for most of the year. One or two guys step up to fill those holes and we're a better team than we were then right away.

I think a lot depends on how the bullpen holds up. There hasn't been any info on Linebrink and he's a key. With rookies and Colon, chances are the bullpen is going to have a little larger workload in 2009, and that's with Floyd and Danks at least matching their 2009 seasons. It dissapoints me they didn't go after a relatively cheap innings eater in Garland but KW seems to be sold on Marquez.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
Melissa I think you must be typing faster than you are thinking. Joe Crede was the man in 2005 for sure. He is also widely preaised for his defense and clutch hitting and not just by Sox fans

Do you just not realize he can't stay healthy? How are you not able to understand that? Yeah he is a fantastic player, but his stats won't be that good while on the DL for 50% of the season.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
Link to Suntimes article by Cowley.

"Camp Cora has been up and running all winter for the White Sox, and the progress reports have third baseman Josh Fields emerging as a leading candidate to ''shock'' the organization when he reports to spring training in a little more than three weeks.

Manager Ozzie Guillen criticized Fields last season for what Guillen felt were diminishing skills. So after clean-up knee surgery in the fall, Fields made a trip to Florida to work with Guillen and bench coach Joey Cora in preparation for taking over for free agent Joe Crede."

His goal? To make sure Guillen can't criticize him -- specifically his defense -- any longer.

''I talked to Joey [on Monday] and he said [Fields is] moving better by far than he's ever moved,'' hitting coach Greg Walker said. ''He said we'll be shocked.''

There were also comments in the article about Alexei, Viciedo, and Paulie.

Will he still strike out once a game?

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
Dunn's K's won't kill you because of his OBP and his home run numbers.

It's not ideal, but if Fields can offer comparable production (sans OBP), it's a bargain considering his salary. I've been slow to realize that KW does not seem to be lying this offseason about budget constraints. A 2007-esqe Fields would go a long way this season.

I'm certainly not sitting here thinking "Yippie! Josh is a better defensive player now because Joey Cora says will be shocked." But it is encouraging that Josh appears to be extremely dedicated and is working his ass off to be the best player he can be. You probably say all pro athletes should have that attitude. Unfortunately, many don't.

I think maybe we are distorting this a little. I didn't get away from this that after 2 weekends Joey Cora took Josh fields from poor defender to a shockingly good defender. Rather that Josh Fields went to Joey Cora's home two weekends this month to prove how hard he had worked and how much improved he was.