Cora sees Fields as a shocker

scenario

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)
I find if amazing that people still believe Scott Boras and his annual glowing offseason reports. All of his clients are 100% healthy and ready to have breakout 2009 seasons! I guess you're willing to believe the lies of a scumbag like Boras when he represents a f***ing deity like Joe Crede. I guess Boras' scheme to keep Crede off the field for the remainder of the 2008 season is working on some people. He's a 31 year old broken down shell of a formerly good baseball player. It's time to move on and finally find some stability at a position that's been in turmoil since the end of the 2006 season.

From what I have read, a couple of Boras' clients, including Crede, haven't signed because Boras wants multiple years, and teams want just one. Especially for a high risk case like Crede.

This is a situation where having Boras as your agent could backfire really, really badly. Some of these guys may end up not playing major league baseball in 2009 because of it. The economy is effecting these teams, and many will simply walk away from the table.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
Do you just not realize he can't stay healthy? How are you not able to understand that? Yeah he is a fantastic player, but his stats won't be that good while on the DL for 50% of the season.

We aren't talking about whether he can stay healthy, at least not in this particular response. We were discussing the fact Melissa thinks Joe was not a productive player. I disagreed with her on that point. Plus I would tell you that hopefully his operation keeps him off the DL in the future. Anyone that has been injured or otherwise has a health issue is a risk no doubt. Joe Crede is not the first player to be injured in baseball. History shows you that players can rebound from injuries and operations. Tommy John is an excellent example of that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
From what I have read, a couple of Boras' clients, including Crede, haven't signed because Boras wants multiple years, and teams want just one. Especially for a high risk case like Crede.

This is a situation where having Boras as your agent could backfire really, really badly. Some of these guys may end up not playing major league baseball in 2009 because of it. The economy is effecting these teams, and many will simply walk away from the table.

Then he will claim collusion.......

Having Boras as your agent is always a risk and has already backfired on Crede. Didn't Kevin Millwood and Kyle Lohse also get burned.

Who is Milt Bradley's agent?

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)

Having Boras as your agent is always a risk and has already backfired on Crede. Didn't Kevin Millwood and Kyle Lohse also get burned.

Both Millwood and Lohse got burned for asking for too much money at one point, but both of them signed short-term deals, had good seasons, and then turned them in to much longer deals than they would have gotten otherwise with more money.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:00 PM)

I am surprised that the agents for players haven't started yelling collusion already because of the low salary offers to free agent players. Do you think maybe that will come?

Edited by elrockinMT

I've been critical of Fields, and haven't been to high on him since his pathetic performance last year, but if he's got a new approach at bat, can at least maybe hit the fastball, and has improved his D, then he should/could be a decent player. I see his ceiling pretty much being a .250 hitter, with 30 HR and 90 RBI potential, with a .350 OBP and decent D. Not bad for a thirdbasemen. But he needs to prove he has done what I have mentioned before I think he can even be a remotely serviceable player.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)
I'm certainly not sitting here thinking "Yippie! Josh is a better defensive player now because Joey Cora says will be shocked." But it is encouraging that Josh appears to be extremely dedicated and is working his ass off to be the best player he can be. You probably say all pro athletes should have that attitude. Unfortunately, many don't.

Agreed.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)

Sam Levinson and Keith Miller, according to this Yahoo article.

Edited by Ron

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:13 PM)
I've been critical of Fields, and haven't been to high on him since his pathetic performance last year, but if he's got a new approach at bat, can at least maybe hit the fastball, and has improved his D, then he should/could be a decent player. I see his ceiling pretty much being a .250 hitter, with 30 HR and 90 RBI potential, with a .350 OBP and decent D. Not bad for a thirdbasemen. But he needs to prove he has done what I have mentioned before I think he can even be a remotely serviceable player.

Sure thing. That may be exactly what it takes and you have to applaud any player that wants to show he belongs in the majors and is willing to work his butt off to prove it. I hope he has what it takes and is the answer to the 3B situation.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
You are 100% correct. Joe Crede from mid September to the end of October was GREAT and Brooks Robinsonesque or dare I say Ron Santoesque . Joe Crede in the first half of 2006 was a monster....... we know how this movie finished.

Can we leave Joe Crede out of this now.

Ron Santo could not carry Brooks Robinson's jockstrap. He does not belong in the same sentence...and I saw them both play. Santo was good. Less range than Crede but also less mistakes. Robinson was in a different universe.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 07:31 PM)
Sure thing. That may be exactly what it takes and you have to applaud any player that wants to show he belongs in the majors and is willing to work his butt off to prove it. I hope he has what it takes and is the answer to the 3B situation.

If he does and Viciedo pans out too then that's a problem I'd welcome.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
Melissa I think you must be typing faster than you are thinking. Joe Crede was the man in 2005 for sure. He is also widely preaised for his defense and clutch hitting and not just by Sox fans

yes, im not denying that. he was really clutch that year. i simply stated that crede has yet to have one full, good, consistent year. the stats back that up.im not trying to knock him, its just that some ppl here cant move on and act like he was god or something. besides defensively, fields can easily out perform crede offensively. is his defense great? no. but hes not a butcher either.get over crede!!!// oh, and i never said i didnt think he was a productive ballplayer. sure he was, just not to the point where some ppl think.

Edited by Melissa1334

You guys follow Fields more than I do. I got a question for you. Prior to his knee problems, was he good defensively or bad?

If he was bad, I do not think 3 weeks with Cora would make a big difference.

I have read he can not hit fastballs. You can not play in MLB if you can not hit the heat.

Just remember, you are what you are. Players do not change much.

Please bring back Joe Crede. I would think the price would be right and Joe >than Josh. I know it isn't going to happen, but I am afraid we will see some loses in 2009 because of inferior defense at 3B. I don't put much faith in these off season stories centered around how much better someone is looking. They all look and perform better during winter reconditioning.

Funny, I recall Crede's defense costing the Sox some games last season. Two in a row to the Blue Jays and soon after one to the Angels.

GET OVER IT.

Boras says Crede is looking this offseason too.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
You guys follow Fields more than I do. I got a question for you. Prior to his knee problems, was he good defensively or bad?

If he was bad, I do not think 3 weeks with Cora would make a big difference.

I have read he can not hit fastballs. You can not play in MLB if you can not hit the heat.

Just remember, you are what you are. Players do not change much.

Prior to Fields's knee injury he was at best below average at 3rd base. One would not expect 3 weeks to make a huge difference on its own barring some major technical issue he was missing. But it can't hurt. And while he's probably not going to develop in to an all time great, it is entirely possible for people to improve on defense given time, good coaching, practice, and repetition. Joe Crede was no where near the defender in 2001 that he was in say, 2006.

Josh Fields certainly had an issue hitting good MLB fastballs when he was up in 2006. But based on raw talent alone, he was able to pound the offspeed stuff enough to put up quality numbers; 23 home runs and 67 RBI on a terrible team in 2/3 of a season. He clearly does need to improve against that pitch, and if he does not he will not last in the league...but that is again a mechanical issue, that may be correctable.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
yes, im not denying that. he was really clutch that year. i simply stated that crede has yet to have one full, good, consistent year. the stats back that up.im not trying to knock him, its just that some ppl here cant move on and act like he was god or something. besides defensively, fields can easily out perform crede offensively. is his defense great? no. but hes not a butcher either.get over crede!!!// oh, and i never said i didnt think he was a productive ballplayer. sure he was, just not to the point where some ppl think.

To be fair, most stars of the game don't have full, good, consistent (with consistent being the key word) seasons. Besides that, his 2006 was pretty damn good. Seasons where guys put up .283/.323/.506/.828 seasons with 30 doubles and 30 homers are pretty good seasons, and he was pretty damn good for the first 5 months with 1 terrible month. If that's not a full, good, consistent season, it's about as close as a player can get without actually doing it.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)
By 2010, I can see Fields at 1B, Paulie DH, Viciedo 3B.

With body size included, I imagine Viciedo will end up at 1B before Fields. Besides that, unless Fields develops into a .250/.350/.500 type player, I'm not sure he'll ever have the bat for 1B. Also, it wouldn't be entirely surprising to see Dye's option picked up, especially if he remains a productive player. It's doubtful, simply because the Sox may want to free up as much money as they can, but it's not completely out of the picture either.

I would say that he has more of a slider-speed bat....mostly due to his mechanics.

He didn't put up 20+ homers two years ago hitting only offspeed pitches.

Fields always had question marks surrounding his movement/feet and range at 3B, especially after he started to experience some injuries. He actually can run fairly well when healthy, but that's forward. The question has always been about lateral movement and also coming in on the bunts. He has a solid, slightly above average MLB arm, but nothing compared to Viciedo (according to reports). He really makes some outstanding plays, but he has lots of mental lapses and mistakes on routine plays, like Alexei in the 2nd half of the season last year.

I think his physical problems with his lower body led to decreased bat speed and more thinking/guessing on pitches. He couldn't have gotten to where he was as a college player and first round draft pick completely feasting on junk.

Of course, we also heard that Crede, Borchard and Anderson would never make it because of their long/loopy/hitchy swings, and they might have been right on at least 2 of those 3 counts.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 09:56 PM)
To be fair, most stars of the game don't have full, good, consistent (with consistent being the key word) seasons. Besides that, his 2006 was pretty damn good. Seasons where guys put up .283/.323/.506/.828 seasons with 30 doubles and 30 homers are pretty good seasons, and he was pretty damn good for the first 5 months with 1 terrible month. If that's not a full, good, consistent season, it's about as close as a player can get without actually doing it.

With body size included, I imagine Viciedo will end up at 1B before Fields. Besides that, unless Fields develops into a .250/.350/.500 type player, I'm not sure he'll ever have the bat for 1B. Also, it wouldn't be entirely surprising to see Dye's option picked up, especially if he remains a productive player. It's doubtful, simply because the Sox may want to free up as much money as they can, but it's not completely out of the picture either.

Well, what are the options for RF and replacing Dye? A trade. Or moving Quentin and replacing the LFer.

In our organization, we're pretty limited. Viciedo, maybe...although 1B/DH is more likely the target destination...depends on his mobility and reads. Then you go down to someone like Shelby, who's far from being anything but a 4th OF/utility infielder (Chone Figgins Lite). Jordan Danks has to be a CFer because it's his natural position and he has limited power at this stage, seemingly precluding corner outfield play.

We have a lot more depth at 1B. We have Konerko, Thome (theoretically), Fields, Viciedo and Brandon Allen, not to mention Tyler Flowers possibly profiles for that position as well if catching doesn't work out well enough on the defensive side.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
I think maybe we are distorting this a little. I didn't get away from this that after 2 weekends Joey Cora took Josh fields from poor defender to a shockingly good defender. Rather that Josh Fields went to Joey Cora's home two weekends this month to prove how hard he had worked and how much improved he was.

Fields went to Miami to work out with Cora who hit groundballs to him... drilled him in fundamentals... worked on his technique, etc.