Cora sees Fields as a shocker

scenario

I don't doubt Fields can be a very good player. My concerns, as with most people, lies within his ability to hit for average (too many k's) and his defense. I was a Crede supporter because we knew we would get great defense and a bat with a lot of upside. If Fields is playing great defense, I think we all have seen his bat has a lot of upside. Maybe more then Crede's. So I am all for giving Fields a chance with Crede gone and giving Viciedo a chance to develop. I just see Viciedo on the team because theyll want to make his transition easier, which is where Contreras and Alexi would come in. Maybe I am wrong on that?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 09:34 AM)
I don't doubt Fields can be a very good player. My concerns, as with most people, lies within his ability to hit for average (too many k's) and his defense. I was a Crede supporter because we knew we would get great defense and a bat with a lot of upside. If Fields is playing great defense, I think we all have seen his bat has a lot of upside. Maybe more then Crede's. So I am all for giving Fields a chance with Crede gone and giving Viciedo a chance to develop. I just see Viciedo on the team because theyll want to make his transition easier, which is where Contreras and Alexi would come in. Maybe I am wrong on that?

For the reason you state, it makes sense to have Viciedo up sooner rather than later. His contract also gives another reason for that to happen as well, since we only have him until he's 23. But if nothing else, he has to earn it. He's never seen major league pitching before, and no offense to Cuba, but a lot of these guys (not all) are a few steps above what he's been facing before. Alexei was able to adapt ridiculously quickly, but even he struggled for the first month and a half of the regular season (albeit in limited playing time).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
For the reason you state, it makes sense to have Viciedo up sooner rather than later. His contract also gives another reason for that to happen as well, since we only have him until he's 23. But if nothing else, he has to earn it. He's never seen major league pitching before, and no offense to Cuba, but a lot of these guys (not all) are a few steps above what he's been facing before. Alexei was able to adapt ridiculously quickly, but even he struggled for the first month and a half of the regular season (albeit in limited playing time).

I also wonder if the weather was a factor in Alexei's slow start. Going from tropical Cuba to April in Chicago could have been a bit of an adjustment. I can't remember if he was asked/said anything about it. Anyway, Dayan's got the extra layer that should keep him warm, so I'm not worried if he starts in Chi, Bama or NC, but I can't wait to see him.

I might have to head down to Zona in a few weeks.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
I also wonder if the weather was a factor in Alexei's slow start. Going from tropical Cuba to April in Chicago could have been a bit of an adjustment. I can't remember if he was asked/said anything about it. Anyway, Dayan's got the extra layer that should keep him warm, so I'm not worried if he starts in Chi, Bama or NC, but I can't wait to see him.

I might have to head down to Zona in a few weeks.

There are a lot of things. Adjusting to a new organization with new teammates in a new country that speaks a different language while playing in a new park with a different hitting backdrop and going to new parks and facing new pitchers for the first time. And I'm sure there are hundreds more.

I've always been a believer in hitting backdrops affecting even typical US hitters who move to different organizations. Even if they've played there a few times a year, unless it is a divisional rival or something, it has to take a while to get used to the playing surface and that backdrop after spending years in a different situation. I always expect new hitters in somewhat unfamiliar surroundings to struggle a bit at first, but then you take a guy like Alexei, and you end up magnifying something like that 1000X.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
One thing I do not like about USA baseball is the following. This is the year for Fields because he has been in the organization for a while. The White Sox has invested money and time on him. Therefore, it is time for some return in their investment. Having said this, Fields will be given the first shot at 3B and Cora is already echoing this. Viciedo just came into the organization this year and the White Sox have time to send him down. I hope he makes the team even though he is not a starter. If both have similar ST, Fields will be the starter.

I don't. I hope Fields has a great year and Dayan goes down to get regular playing time. Expecting him to just all of the sudden get used to MLB pitching like the much more experienced Alexei did is basically praying for him to fail. I hope Dayan tears up the minors and if someone goes down he comes up and performs, otherwise I hope he allows the Sox to deal a veteran midseason or something and fill a need in another area with Dayan coming up. Or if neither of those things happen, I hope he has a great year in the minors and a spot is cleared for him next year.

Also, Fields impressed a lot of people with what he did here in 2007, and he wasn't healthy then either. A fully healthy Josh Fields is not the kind of talent that you just piss away. Putting a kid who is ready now on the backburner in order to take a stab with a 19 year old who has a lot of adjusting to do is just plain idiotic organizational management. Don't worry, Cubano. The Sox if anything are generally criticized for rushing young players, not holding them back. Dayan won't be another Kendry Morales, and if he proves himself in the minors he'll be up this year.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
Also, Fields impressed a lot of people with what he did here in 2007, and he wasn't healthy then either. A fully healthy Josh Fields is not the kind of talent that you just piss away.

Lets put it this way: Not many 24 year old 3B come up and put up a .788 OPS in his first real trip to the bigs. A-ram on the other side of town, although coming off of a big year, put up a .666 OPS as a 24 year old with a .946 FPCT. Pitt gave him one more shot before shipping him off to the Cubs where he has been putting up almost a consistent .900 OPS for 5 years. Im not saying Josh will be that good, but for a guy who had limited baseball experience and has shown flashes of good play like he has, you give him every shot to succeed.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)
I'm certainly not sitting here thinking "Yippie! Josh is a better defensive player now because Joey Cora says will be shocked." But it is encouraging that Josh appears to be extremely dedicated and is working his ass off to be the best player he can be. You probably say all pro athletes should have that attitude. Unfortunately, many don't.

Reading through this thread and thinking about this point a little more, it wouldn't shock me if Fields really did improve his fielding by leaps and bounds with a bunch of dedicated attention from the coaching staff. Let's not kid ourselves, we all know how bad the coaching for fundimentals was in our minor league system before Buddy Bell got here. I don't know that it is better now, because we haven't had time to see the results, but we know it can't be worse. The more I think about it, there could be some very simple mechanical changes made to Fields techniques defensively that he was never taught before.

Will it really bear fruit? We won't know until we see him grind it out in games. Could it be possible that Josh has improved that much? It wouldn't surprise me if he really is getting all of this attention and he really is healthy in that knee.

I wrote my comment not just because Viciedo but can be applied to any player. Many times you have veterans with big contracts just playing because of their names and salaries. I undesrtand Fields is not a big name guy and does not make big money but he is still the guy. Alexei was hold back at the beginning of the season in favor of other players. Many big game players struggle and keeps playing. Alexei did not have the name at the beginning od 2008 although he had just one good year.

Speaking of cold weather, Alexei have to survive the first month hitting around 240-250 so he is not in a hole like in 2008. Now, I am used to cold weather but at the beginning it was not easy.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 09:08 PM)
we have viciedo may be able to play a decent outfield positionand flowers/ Viciedo could als be first baseman/designated hitter types. 2010 will find 3 expiring contracts of Dye and Thome and Konerko.

Thome is signed thru 2009, Konerko thru 2010, and Dye has a mutual option for 2010. According to Kalapse's sheet.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)
so I was 1/3 right. If we are not in contention in July could you see us unloadin any of the above named players?

Well according to reports KW has been shopping Dye all offseason and he'd love to unload Konerko. Thome is pretty much untradeable since he holds a complete no trade clause, can really only DH and makes $13M this year. Konerko is also a rather undesirable player right now with 2 years and $24M left on his deal, a full no trade clause and coming off a pretty horrible 2008 campaign, KW may look to trade him but it will be an uphill battle especially with the economy in the s***ter and a far superior player in Adam Dunn looking at perhaps only $5M a year, which makes Konerko's contract look awful. Dye is easily the most tradeable, is comming off a very good 2008 season, has only a 6 team no trade clause, can play the outfield and is only signed through this season so if the Sox are out of it come July KW will undoubtadly reexplore the idea of trading Jermaine.

I'm higher on Fields more than others here so I'm really excited to see him play. I think he'll shock people with his average (.260-265ish) and IMO, will not strikeout as much as some think he will (he'll be at 100+, but not 140+) The K's don't bother me anyway. I'd rather see him K but we still have a batter left then see him ground into double plays all the time. I also feel it's a blessing to not see a player hit weak pop-ups to the left/right time every freaking time going for the long ball (Love Crede, but am a bigger Fields fan) I love Josh's potential not to mention his bat will probably be superior to Crede's (even with a semi-down season he can put up around the same OPS as Crede's best season) but of course the lesser D. (which isn't butcherish anyways) As you can see... I LOVE Fields (some here saw him during his college days, including myself I've always loved what he could/can/should/etc.. be) Plus, he's Carlos Quentin's best friend on the team and you can't piss TCQ off. :D

Not worried at all about Getz either, but I like Lillibridge's potential a s***load more. Should be a fun season, watching these kids play. I worry about Marquez but hopefully he shocks alot of us and I love Richard as our 6th SP/LR guy. Kinda fitting the role of what Masset did last season. The only thing I'll hate is if Ozzie thinks Wise can be a full-time regular. (Or our LF/CF/lead-off hitter) I just have a sick feeling on that.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 02:44 AM)
The only thing I'll hate is if Ozzie thinks Wise can be a full-time regular. (Or our LF/CF/lead-off hitter) I just have a sick feeling on that.

yea, i read about that yesterday in the suntimes i think. about how wise and owens r getting the a shot at the cf job. wise proved last year that he cannot play everyday. nice bat off the bench, but he gets exposed playing everyday. that would be horrible. (even though they both are bad)

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
Why is everyone so high on Getz? (This is not a snide comment in the least -- I'm genuinely curious.)

He has a .361 minor league OBP, his numbers got continually better the last three seasons going through AAA, and he added power in 2008 (.448 SLG). His OPS of .814 in 2008 at AAA is awfully good for a 2B. Plus he has some speed, and is known as a smart player. He can also play multiple infield positions. He also has more walks than strikeouts for his minor league career.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
He has a .361 minor league OBP, his numbers got continually better the last three seasons going through AAA, and he added power in 2008 (.448 SLG). His OPS of .814 in 2008 at AAA is awfully good for a 2B. Plus he has some speed, and is known as a smart player. He can also play multiple infield positions. He also has more walks than strikeouts for his minor league career.

Wasn't he a September call up last year? I seem to remember him being on the roster at some point. Did he look that good against major league pitching?

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
Wasn't he a September call up last year? I seem to remember him being on the roster at some point. Did he look that good against major league pitching?

He hit .286, but that was 7 AB, so the numbers are useless. What he did look like, to me, was a pro. He looked fairly comfortable, and looked like a ballplayer.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
Why is everyone so high on Getz? (This is not a snide comment in the least -- I'm genuinely curious.)

What people said above plus...

The minor league development people/coaches are very high on him... like his skills and approach... think he has a good shot to contribute at the major league level this year.