Cubs close to landing Aaron Heilman

Kyyle23

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
I hope you're right but I still see it happening. It's almost gone according to script since it first broke in late November. Like I said though, Peavy is basically holding the Pads hostage with his NTC. Santana did the same thing last year. Even though the Twins got Gomez, that was a fleecing, I think this will be the similar.

Part of the equation that is missing is that Peavy is relatively cheap this year at 9 mil. SD could hold onto him for this year. It's next year that his contract escalates. They will also have new ownership next year.

I think that the GM is hoping to stall the process until the new ownership takes over and wants to keep Peavy.

Remember Peavy doesn't want to leave SD the current ownership wants to cut salary. This is why Peavy is making it difficult.

That leads to the obvious question of whether the Cubs are closing in on a deal to land Peavy with a little more than two weeks left before pitchers and catchers report to Mesa, Ariz.

''We've had no talks about Jake Peavy since they were well-documented during the winter meetings,'' Bush said. ''I don't anticipate anything happening with that.''

Sources say the Cubs won't even entertain the idea of renewing talks about Peavy until their ownership situation is settled, and that's not expected to happen until late March at the earliest.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cu...T-cub29.article

Yep, this is a pre-cursor to a Peavy trade. Right. This trade makes it almost impossible that Peavy goes to the Cubs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)
I think Olney's trying to say the Cubs would now trade Marshall, who is someone that the Padres would want more than any of the other guys.

Young pitching is prob want the Pads want more than anything.

Still you stick an average SP into PETCO, he's probably going to do pretty well.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
Young pitching is prob want the Pads want more than anything.

Still you stick an average SP into PETCO, he's probably going to do pretty well.

If I am the Pads, a 26-27 year old swingman who isnt that great in the NL isnt what I am looking for when shopping one of the best pitchers in baseball.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
If I am the Pads, a 26-27 year old swingman who isnt that great in the NL isnt what I am looking for when shopping one of the best pitchers in baseball.

While i think you're not giving Marshall enough credit here, i agree with your general premise. The simple fact is that Marshall and the Derosa Trio are not enough. The Shark will not be traded, Hill pretty much cannot, and the Cubs have ri d themselves of almost every high-upside arm in their system. When you're biggest pitching prospect is Mitch Atkins you have a problem.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)

All one has to do is look at the packages the O's and Indians hauled in for Bedard and Sabathia (and in the O's case, they raped the Mariners) to see how ridiculous it is to think the Cubs have what it would take to land a pitcher of Peavy's caliber.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
All one has to do is look at the packages the O's and Indians hauled in for Bedard and Sabathia (and in the O's case, they raped the Mariners) to see how ridiculous it is to think the Cubs have what it would take to land a pitcher of Peavy's caliber.

Alot of the rumors are being fuled by Cubs fans which is what is making it so ridiculous. The Cubs simply do not have a Matt LaPorta

Sandy Alderson says he expects Jake Peavy to be on the opening day roster. Or, in other words, he'll be traded at high value in July to a team with actual prospects (ie not the Cubs). What a freaking surprise, who could have seen that one coming? You can't trade trash and get gold too often.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
Sandy Alderson says he expects Jake Peavy to be on the opening day roster. Or, in other words, he'll be traded at high value in July to a team with actual prospects (ie not the Cubs). What a freaking surprise, who could have seen that one coming? You can't trade trash and get gold too often.

...unless you are trading with the Pirates