Reclamation projects

Jordan4life_2007

Just peepin' Whitesox.com when I came across this really good article.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Pretty much breaks down how the Sox have been so successful at bringing in talented guys who have underachieved with their original teams, for whatever reason, only to flourish with us. This is why I can be open-minded about guys like Marquez/Lillibridge/Nix/ect. And before anybody says it, I realize that a lot of the guys we've brought in weren't AS highly regarded as guys like Q/Floyd/Jenks. But they definitely were highly regarded at one point or another.

IMO, the best part about these sorts of articles is that they lay the foundation for actually attracting reclamation projects in the future. These guys want to be successful as much as the teams want to be successful - it's the only way they can score a big time contract. If a team has a reputation of turning guys around, then it's likely to wind up being a destination for guys who need to turn their careers around. And thus, it becomes a way for us to stockpile a little bit of extra talent by bringing in minor league FA's who didn't work out with their previous teams. JVB, Nix are examples this season.

JVB seems more like the type of guy who is AAA fodder at this point in time. His shoulders, both of them, have been so torn up that there's virtually no chance he can become much of anything at this point. Nix seems like AAA fodder too but I'd give him a chance at the very least of claiming a spot with the Sox.

That being said, you can't forget guys like Thome, Contreras, Dye, Linebrink, and Dotel too. A lot of those guys were either written off for dead or considered to be over the hill, and they've been huge contributors to the Sox. In the case of Linebrink and Dotel, a lot of it had to do with money too.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
Good read. One reclamation project I am surprised we haven't pursued all these years is Mark Mulder. With him being from the Chicago area (South Holland I believe) I am just surprised we haven't gone after him. I figure they must think he is done or they just think his reclamation project is too expensive, cuz it probably is.

He went to Thornwood High School in South Holland.

His problem is a degenerative hip condition that forces him into bad mechnaics like Britt Burns and Jack McDowell. If someone signs him there's no predicting how long he can be effective, if at all.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
Good article about KW. Another good reclamation project would be that Brian Anderson guy. If he could only play where he is comfortable and given a second chance, he could be pretty valuable.

you mean 3rd chance???

I'd say 181AB in 2008 and his .232 BA, would be his 2nd chance.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 05:10 PM)
you mean 3rd chance???

I'd say 181AB in 2008 and his .232 BA, would be his 2nd chance.

You mean his chance to prove himself as a bench player or as a starter? 181 PAs in the role that he played is not enough to say whether or not he is a starter. When a player only plays once or twice a week as a starter (if that) it is very hard for them to keep up a hitting streak or get in a groove. No matter how much BP you face or tees you hit off, the game is so much faster and the pitchers can overwhelm you if you arent used to facing the stuff that they bring. Getting ABs at the end of games as a defensive replacement will not show you are a starter.

And he still put up an OPS of .708. He showed that he still has pop. Really, I think he could be an 8 or 9 hitter delivering a .240 average with 25 homers, to go along with stellar defense, to me that screams average or better CF. He wont be a star, but he'll help the team tremendously defensively, and will add a bit to the offense.

It seems we were always the team that was bringing in reclamation projects like Ellis Burks or Mike Devereaux or Shawn Abner to play RF/LF.

Some others that come to mind:

Loiaza for sure

Julio Ramirez

D'Angelo Jimenez

Alex Escobar (flipped for JO)

Jeff Nelson

Jose Paniagua

E. Sierra

Politte

Hermanson

this Jimenez kid (claimed from TOR)

Jenks (obviously)

Brooks Kieschnick (went on to play for MIL after he was in our system)

Canseco

one can even make an argument that Konerko was, in a way...because the Dodgers/Reds gave up on him pretty quickly and the degenerative hip condition concerns that some bring up even today

many...many in the 80's, when we were operating as a small or mid-market club

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)
Julio Franco

Chris Sabo

Roberto Alomar

Carl Everett

Pablo Ozuna

If you're going with Franco, you might as well add Kruk in there as well.

Wil Cordero...that one worked out just great. Seaver and Steve Carlton.

Alomar was already 80% done when we brought him in, just like his brother.

Dave Sveum.

Edited by caulfield12