KW's "we're all set" press declarations

Princess Dye

Is there motive behind this? Just revving up the fan base?

I'm curious, does anyone remember him doing this as a precursor to a big move.... b/c he likes being The Sleuth The Sequel

Or is it seriously just to get us ready for 'standing pat.'

I feel like right before Gooch got done he announced that it wasnt going to happen, no?

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)

I'm curious, does anyone remember him doing this as a precursor to a big move.... b/c he likes being The Sleuth The Sequel

I feel like right before Gooch got done he announced that it wasnt going to happen, no?

Good question you ask, but I see any of these types of statements, and we have heard plenty of them this year and in years past, as mostly the eternal optimism of management which is borne out by the fact all teams are basically even until after the first game of the season. It is a long baseball season and only time will tell. But, on the other hand there are still free agent players out there we could certainly use on the Sox and/or trades that could be made. But, I love it anyway.

Edited by elrockinMT

He seems really confident right now. He loves the fact that people doubted him before this past year.

But really behind the successes of Danks/Floyd/CQ/Alexei we had stuff like Crede/Contreras failing as an offset.

This year the backup plan is, in several places, the only plan. And then we have backups to the backup plan.

Who's on first,etc.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)

I think he is actually telling the truth.

Eventually you either need to use your prospects or trade them.

Fields at 3B, Getz at 2B and a 5th starter are good bets for decent payoff for young players.

Eventually you need to bring young pitchers along and suffer through their first learning season in the MLB. I see them doing that with Marquez in the 5th spot.

The only possibility is CF but Ithink they will do that from within as well.

I think he is "set" as in content. He isn't the type of guy who isn't always listening or exploring. I also think this whole "payroll maxed out" talk is for the birds. I think in recent years he has voiced how they didn't have the prospects or money at the deadline to pull a deal.

This year I think we will play it out and if we are in it, we'll add actually add a big time piece at one of these "holes". If we are out of it...Dye, Thome, etc. will all be out the door. Maybe even a Jenks.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
I think he is "set" as in content. He isn't the type of guy who isn't always listening or exploring. I also think this whole "payroll maxed out" talk is for the birds. I think in recent years he has voiced how they didn't have the prospects or money at the deadline to pull a deal.

This year I think we will play it out and if we are in it, we'll add actually add a big time piece at one of these "holes". If we are out of it...Dye, Thome, etc. will all be out the door. Maybe even a Jenks.

Really what it comes down to is knowing how to play the game. Why would you ever say "we're still looking for a piece" or "we're not happy" - there is no value in either of those statements. You always want to say you're happy with what you have.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
KW has been known to make a splash right before Soxfest, perhaps a coincidence, but I just don't see anything shaking down this year...at least right now

What other splashes has Williams made this close to Soxfest other than bringing in Kenny Lofton? I'm talking like January 25th to February 15th, the time pitchers and catchers report, because I simply don't recall any moves he's made this late in the offseason.

Given, he's never had the quality free agents this late in the offseason either, but that's beside the point.

What bothers me about being content is that once again he has not filled the lead off or CF position we have needed for 2 years. He talks like he believes in Owens, and that we should, but has ANYONE heard anybody ask for Owens as part of a trade? I havent which says he's considered a mediocre prospect that others dont think can play, so why should we?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)
What other splashes has Williams made this close to Soxfest other than bringing in Kenny Lofton? I'm talking like January 25th to February 15th, the time pitchers and catchers report, because I simply don't recall any moves he's made this late in the offseason.

Given, he's never had the quality free agents this late in the offseason either, but that's beside the point.

Well technically speaking for late December too, which would include the Danks deal, and of course last year with Swisher (actually that might have been early Jan) I believe Iguchi signed with the Sox the week of Soxfest in 05. So more leading up to Soxfest rather than pitchers and catchers.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
What bothers me about being content is that once again he has not filled the lead off or CF position we have needed for 2 years. He talks like he believes in Owens, and that we should, but has ANYONE heard anybody ask for Owens as part of a trade? I havent which says he's considered a mediocre prospect that others dont think can play, so why should we?

What the other teams view a person's trade value to be is not necessarily indicative of his value to the team holding him. For a team to have the same type of value of Owens as we might, they'd have to have an outfield hole and really need to inject some speed in to their lineup. And given Owens's age, they'd probably be a team that would be looking to compete this year, not rebuilding like the Pirates or Royals or anyone like that. There aren't many competitive teams with OF openings who need speed right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
What the other teams view a person's trade value to be is not necessarily indicative of his value to the team holding him. For a team to have the same type of value of Owens as we might, they'd have to have an outfield hole and really need to inject some speed in to their lineup. And given Owens's age, they'd probably be a team that would be looking to compete this year, not rebuilding like the Pirates or Royals or anyone like that. There aren't many competitive teams with OF openings who need speed right now.

And I doubt there are teams looking for speedy guys who can't take a walk, hit for power, or play one of the 8 most important defensive positions. Willy Taveras was nontendered; no one traded for him. Felix Pie went for garbage. Taveras is twice the player Owens is because he can play defense in CF and Pie still has the kind of potential that a team like the O's would want to gamble on, plus he also can play CF. Baldelli and Kotsay both signed to be 4th/5th OFers and they are also worlds better than Owens. f***ing Andruw Jones lost weight and is available for the league minimum and yet no one wants him.

Basically, I doubt there's a single team in baseball that would want Owens except for this one. Even as a pinch runner it's nice to have a guy with more versatility than Jerry. In fact we've already got a super versatile UT guy with great speed in Lillibridge and an actual CF'er in Anderson, yet here we are moving closer and closer to ST and Jerry Owens is the man to "beat" once again.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)

Werent AJ Pierzynski, Darin Erstad, Tadahito Iguchi all within that time period?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
And I doubt there are teams looking for speedy guys who can't take a walk, hit for power, or play one of the 8 most important defensive positions. Willy Taveras was nontendered; no one traded for him. Felix Pie went for garbage. Taveras is twice the player Owens is because he can play defense in CF and Pie still has the kind of potential that a team like the O's would want to gamble on, plus he also can play CF. Baldelli and Kotsay both signed to be 4th/5th OFers and they are also worlds better than Owens. f***ing Andruw Jones lost weight and is available for the league minimum and yet no one wants him.

Basically, I doubt there's a single team in baseball that would want Owens except for this one. Even as a pinch runner it's nice to have a guy with more versatility than Jerry. In fact we've already got a super versatile UT guy with great speed in Lillibridge and an actual CF'er in Anderson, yet here we are moving closer and closer to ST and Jerry Owens is the man to "beat" once again.

But obviously Taveras had/has a lot of value to the Reds (definitely a small-market franchise) or they wouldn't have given him $6+ million in this market.

And I'm not sure how well Lillibridge's "great" speed will translate to stolen bases (see Harris, Willie) but I want to see him prove that he can hit at least .250-.270 before we call him anything but a utility player. Also, we're not sure how well he will actually play 2B and CF yet...just lots of speculation.

Ramirez has lots of natural ability and speed, yet many aren't convinced he will be great (or even very good) at SS or in CF.

there's really nothing else he can say. the economy has jacked up the offseason free-agent market to the point that its probably hard to count on doing anything else. might as well talk up the guys you got and let anything additional be gravy.