That Obama guy

Cubano

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
If someone has enough of a desire to, then yes, pretty much anyone can.

Still no.

Problem A: money.

Problem B: Some people are working multiple jobs and raising a family, and school is not a realistic option.

There are others as well.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
Still no.

Loans. Thats what I did, thats what my siblings did/are doing (including grad school). Thats what most of my family did or will do. Also, by starting at a community college you save a lot of money.

Or, you could part time it while you work, thats how my brother is paying for grad school right now b/c he is choosing not to take out more loans.

Problem B: Some people are working multiple jobs and raising a family, and school is not a realistic option.

Part-timing it is always an option. So are online classes.

And, if you are trying to raise a family at the general "college age" odds are that it is your own fault or decision you are in that situation where you feel you can not afford to go to college to raise said family.

Of course there are exceptions, but it is not the rule.

I just dont buy it. If a college degree is something that a person wants badly enough they will find a way to do it. If the desire is there, the option to go is always available

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
Loans. Thats what I did, thats what my siblings did/are doing (including grad school). Thats what most of my family did or will do. Also, by starting at a community college you save a lot of money.

In this market, who's still lending?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)

Or, you could part time it while you work, thats how my brother is paying for grad school right now b/c he is choosing not to take out more loans.

Part-timing it is always an option. So are online classes.

And, if you are trying to raise a family at the general "college age" odds are that it is your own fault or decision you are in that situation where you feel you can not afford to go to college to raise said family.

Of course there are exceptions, but it is not the rule.

I just dont buy it. If a college degree is something that a person wants badly enough they will find a way to do it. If the desire is there, the option to go is always available

You also have to get INTO a college. I actually do not know what the requirements are like to attend a community college nowadays - if just anyone with a HS Diploma or GED can get in? Not sure on that one.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
You also have to get INTO a college. I actually do not know what the requirements are like to attend a community college nowadays - if just anyone with a HS Diploma or GED can get in? Not sure on that one.

I think a community college accepts anyone with a GED or HS diploma.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)

If you graduate HS or have a GED you can get into most community colleges.

Getting INTO a college based on merit is a whole different thing. Obviously, not anyone can get into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford etc... but that wasnt the point. Thats like arguing not everyone can make their HS varsity team. If there is not a single college willing to accept you than it's probably because you dont have the raw intelligence to make it in college anyways, or you f***ed up in HS, which is your own fault 99% of the time

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
If you graduate HS or have a GED you can get into most community colleges.

Getting INTO a college based on merit is a whole different thing. Obviously, not anyone can get into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford etc... but that wasnt the point. Thats like arguing not everyone can make their HS varsity team. If there is not a single college willing to accept you than it's probably because you dont have the raw intelligence to make it in college anyways, or you f***ed up in HS, which is your own fault 99% of the time

Or you go to a school district so bad that no college will touch you.

And good for your family for making sacrifices to attend college (and I mean that very sincerely). But I think that for many people college is simply too unaffordable--or children are needed to contribute to a family's income immediately and can't go to college because of that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
In this market, who's still lending?

If you have good credit and some money down, you'll get a loan. Pfizer bought another drug company. Now, the Feds want the banks to lend money to people that do not qualify. Sounds like another bank problem down the road.

Barney Frank and Co

By the way, this is a recession. Contraction is the word of the day. During recessions economic activity such as lending declines.

Edited by Cubano

Still no.

I came with $$$$0000000000. Little English.

Rob a bank then like John Herbert Dillinger. He hanged around Chicago many times.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 03:53 PM)
What I don't understand about that post is that it was preceded by one that said "let the banks fail." I thought about mentioning that but I'm sure I already know what the answer would be.

Not all the banks are going to fail. Not all the banks made stupid mistakes. Those banks deserve no money from my pocket. Citi Bank, Bank Of America for buying Merrill and Country Wide. The survival of the fittest. Let the car makers and their Union fail too. I would say to the Unions and Executives, Dudes no money for you. Either you gusy take big cuts or your butts are going to be warming the sidewalks.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
When was the last time the Federal Budget had a surplus FWIW?

Stop sending money to foreign countries. Reduce the number of Federal employees doing nothing.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
Stop sending money to foreign countries. Reduce the number of Federal employees doing nothing.

CUBANO-

You can't post in this forum until you read the "MUST READ" thread's first post at the top of the forum, AND post your agreement to it in that thread.