White Sox in good financial shape

thedoctor

That is pretty remarkable that the Sox are only commited to 36 million next year... im guessing that will go up to about 50 million when Quentin, Floyd and Danks get there arbitration money. The Sox are in amazing shape next year financially. The more and more i hear Kenny praise Lillybridge, the more i want to see him play. Is it possible for him to be our every day CF? If the dude can steal 40-50 bases i would much rather see him out there than Owens.

I'm not going to lie, it will definitley be fun to see what young player emerges out of nowhere next year.... that seems to be latest trend in the Sox organization the past 2 seasons... Im picking Lillybridge as my suprise player of 2009... rather if its 2B or CF this guy seems to have the tools we have been looking for.

Well, I'm not sure that ANY of this is going to be a "selling point" to get the casual fan to come out to a game.

It's nice for KW to have financial flexibility going into the future...but only if he does something instead of sitting on his hands and hoping the youth develop. There are plenty of players (especially another pitcher) who could be very helpful this season.

Well, I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see how everything develops.

per cbssportsline:

Williams will say that he's not sure he'll have the freedom to add payroll this summer, even with the salaries the Sox dropped over the winter.

"We have to be cautious, if for no other reason than so we don't have to play all day games because we can't afford the electricity," he said. "This is such a volatile time, and people are going to look at their discretionary spending."

The budget concerns were apparently one reason the White Sox haven't pursued a trade for Brian Roberts, the Orioles second baseman who is due to make $8 million this year and is eligible for free agency after the season. While Roberts could slot in easily at second and as a leadoff hitter, Williams insists he hasn't had any trade talks with the O's since November.

Also to add to that I'm looking forward to watching youth getting a chance and I'm very excited for how the future of this team could shake out.

Going around the horn and cupboard here is what i think realistic comps for whats in the minors and at the ML level; ceiling wise.

DH- Brandon Allen - Adam LaRoche with some speed and a bit more pop, maybe he will surprise and stick at first.

C - Tyler Flowers - Joe Torre's bat with a chance to be a bit better than Piazza behind the dish

1B - Josh Fields - Dean Palmer, I'd love to see him stick at 3B but i foresee him on the other side of the diamond.

2B - Chris Getz - A LH Eric Young, possibly a bit more pop if the power is for real.

SS - Alexei Ramirez - Adrian Beltre.

3B - Gordon Beckham - Chase Utley.

LF - Dayan Viciedo - Carlos Lee

CF - Jordan Danks - David Dejesus if the power never fully develops the converse of that is Fred Lynn if it does.

RF - Carlos Quentin - CQ ;)

I would love to hear what other posters across the board think are legit major league comps for some of these players. Also i highly doubt all of these players pan out but those are the players i associate each with when i think of their ceilings

Getz....you're going to be very fortunate if he has a career like Mark Grudzielanek.

Ramirez and Beltre? Seriously? Body-wise, he's more like Soriano, in terms of generating tremendous power from his wrists...I think of him as a taller/thinner Ray Durham with even more pop in his bat but without the stolen bases yet. He's definitely the most exciting/dynamic player to watch on the White Sox right now.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 03:40 AM)
Also to add to that I'm looking forward to watching youth getting a chance and I'm very excited for how the future of this team could shake out.

Going around the horn and cupboard here is what i think realistic comps for whats in the minors and at the ML level; ceiling wise.

DH- Brandon Allen - Adam LaRoche with some speed and a bit more pop, maybe he will surprise and stick at first.

C - Tyler Flowers - Joe Torre's bat with a chance to be a bit better than Piazza behind the dish

1B - Josh Fields - Dean Palmer, I'd love to see him stick at 3B but i foresee him on the other side of the diamond.

2B - Chris Getz - A LH Eric Young, possibly a bit more pop if the power is for real.

CF - Jordan Danks - David Dejesus if the power never fully develops the converse of that is Fred Lynn if it does.

I would love to hear what other posters across the board think are legit major league comps for some of these players. Also i highly doubt all of these players pan out but those are the players i associate each with when i think of their ceilings

ive heard a lot of good things about him. how is it that we were able to "steal" him from the draft?

QUOTE (Sec101Row1 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 07:38 AM)
I beleive KW contract is up at the end of this season, wonder if there is any money left for that, or will he walk. His resume will look really good if we win the division again this year.

He's going nowhere-if anything will get promoted

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 03:40 AM)

These are some of the weirdest comparisons i have seen in awhile. Alexei and Beltre? Danks and Dejesus? Getz and Young? Just weird.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 09:34 AM)
These are some of the weirdest comparisons i have seen in awhile. Alexei and Beltre? Danks and Dejesus? Getz and Young? Just weird.

Lol so I guess all of our prospects almost are going to make it to the bigs and be successful. I actually think Mark Grudzelanick is a pretty solid comparison to Getz but with much better defense, and honestly I have no problem with that type of production. If Getz can just walk a little bit more, he is just the type of player we need.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 04:40 AM)

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
Lol so I guess all of our prospects almost are going to make it to the bigs and be successful. I actually think Mark Grudzelanick is a pretty solid comparison to Getz but with much better defense, and honestly I have no problem with that type of production. If Getz can just walk a little bit more, he is just the type of player we need.

Beautox was talking about his view of the ceiling for each player, not projecting each of them to become regular or All-Star players in the majors.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
ive heard a lot of good things about him. how is it that we were able to "steal" him from the draft?

in part at least because his agent was scott boras at the time. there were rumors boras was going to demand a huge signing bonus which turned some people off. that and some questions about his productivity at texas caused him to drop to the seventh round. after the draft, he fired boras, which was a plus.

since he got drafted he's shown some real promise. there are some questions about his power potential but as a prospect he has just about everything you want. great size, speed, defense, good on-base potential, etc.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
in part at least because his agent was scott boras at the time. there were rumors boras was going to demand a huge signing bonus which turned some people off. that and some questions about his productivity at texas caused him to drop to the seventh round. after the draft, he fired boras, which was a plus.

since he got drafted he's shown some real promise. there are some questions about his power potential but as a prospect he has just about everything you want. great size, speed, defense, good on-base potential, etc.

when do you think he'll be ready to join the team and can he be the long term cf solution?

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 07:28 AM)
He's going nowhere

Agreed. Unless his demands are ridiculous or he wants to leave for some reason, Kenny will be with the Sox for a while.

I realize that anything can happen in baseball, but this appears to be the last year that the Sox will have a really good shot at the playoffs again, before losing a number of vets to FA this winter. If that turns out to be true, the Sox are going to have to begin somewhat of a rebuilding phase next year. So if they start slow, I wouldn't mind seeing guys like JD or Thome (if he'll agree) dealt mid-season. The money saved this year can be spent at a later date.

I think this all depends on how good Minnesota's rotation becomes (have they peaked or will they regress?) and how healthy Travis Hafner and Victor Martinez are with the Indians. The Indians have improved the most, on paper, and the Tigers and Twins basically stood pat, particularly the Twins...who are hamstrung by having to commit a significant sum of money to their new stadium (in fact, the big issue going forward will be keeping Mauer in the fold).

I don't know if Edwin Jackson, Brandon Lyon and Adam Everett are enough to make the Tigers anything more than a 3rd place ballclub...and their revenues will dwindle with the Michigan/Detroit economy in tatters.

If Beckham, Poreda and Viciedo all step up and play as expected, and Flowers can put up a line of .260, 25, 80-90 in 2010 or 2011...then we should remain very competitive. Allen, Shelby and Danks could all make an impact before the end of 2010 as well.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
Agreed. Unless his demands are ridiculous or he wants to leave for some reason, Kenny will be with the Sox for a while.

I realize that anything can happen in baseball, but this appears to be the last year that the Sox will have a really good shot at the playoffs again, before losing a number of vets to FA this winter. If that turns out to be true, the Sox are going to have to begin somewhat of a rebuilding phase next year. So if they start slow, I wouldn't mind seeing guys like JD or Thome (if he'll agree) dealt mid-season. The money saved this year can be spent at a later date.

Would anyone trade Jim Thome's homer against Minnesota in the play-in game if they knew they could exchange his 2009 contract of $13 million for $6.5 million and Bob Abreu/Adam Dunn AND another veteran starting pitcher at the back of the rotation (like Wolf, Byrd, Looper, Glavine, Pedro Martinez, etc.)??

Interesting question.

That's going to be the memory of Thome that stays with most White Sox fans when he retires...vanquishing the Twins. Psychologically, losing the Central to them for the 5th time in 7 years really would have sucked, I almost can't imagine this past offseason, as boring/frustrating as it has been.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
when do you think he'll be ready to join the team and can he be the long term cf solution?

i don't really follow closely enough to be able to put any timetable on his arrival in the majors. but there's probably someone here who could give a more informed projection.

here is a link to a story about danks: hardball times. this from his thread over in the aap forum.