Viciedo loses weight + leadoff hitter news

maggsmaggs

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...soxnt30.article

Leadoff News

''Right now, it's going to be Owens or Wise against righties,'' Guillen said during a visit to U.S. Cellular Field. ''Lefties, maybe [brent] Lillibridge.''

Viciedo News + Great quote

"I got great news about the former fat guy,'' Guillen said with a laugh. ''Now he's a big man. He's a strong, big kid. When I saw him the first time, he was overweight, there's no doubt.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
So if Lillibridge is leading off, what position would he be playing?

Second base probably. We might see a Ownes/Anderson platoon in CF (BA-lefties, JO-righties) and a Getz/Lillibridge platoon at 2b (Getz-righties, Lillibridge-lefties). Might work. But I would still feel better with one more veteran hitter in this lineup or at least some CF competition not named Wise.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
So if Lillibridge is leading off, what position would he be playing?

You'd have to think Getz would be on the bench against lefties (assuming he makes the team)...so he would be either playing 2B (unless they keep Nix over Getz) or CF, in which case he would obviously be taking bats away from Anderson.

If he's playing against lefties, leading off out of CF, then Anderson has no role on this team at all, except as a defensive replacement.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
Second base probably. We might see a Ownes/Anderson platoon in CF (BA-lefties, JO-righties) and a Getz/Lillibridge platoon at 2b (Getz-righties, Lillibridge-lefties). Might work. But I would still feel better with one more veteran hitter in this lineup or at least some CF competition not named Wise.

we're definitely throwing numbers at a lot of our problem areas this year, that's for sure.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
It's a fun time is all I can say. I am waiting for ST to open and get a chance to look at the likes of Viciedo etc etc. Hope we see a few games on TV so we can get a gander at the talent.

i cant wait for spring training too, viciedo, beckham, lillibridge..should be interesting :gosox3:

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
Trying to make a player into something he is not, never has been, and never will be?

I agree.

What choice did Guillen really have that year...to keep running Anderson out there every day in July and August when he wasn't even sniffing the Mendoza Line?

We can hate on Mackowiak, Erstad, Swisher, Griffey and Wise all we want, but KW was the one who provided those players to Ozzie and traded away Chris Young. You're only as good as the talent you have on your team...or as bad. If anything, Ozzie had to cut the cord before Anderson got to the point where he would never recover as a ballplayer. He still has a chance to be a regular somewhere else, but probably not in Chicago...maybe with an NL team. One could certainly argue Felix Pie had LESS of an opportunity than Anderson, in fact.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
What choice did Guillen really have that year...to keep running Anderson out there every day in July and August when he wasn't even sniffing the Mendoza Line?

Quite frankly, yes. For the 2nd half, Anderson had an OPS only 11 points below Mackowiak and a batting average .001 below him. And I swear, every time he was in CF, Mack missed a play Anderson would have made that would have cost the team at least 1 run.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
Judging by his skill set, I could love to see how Lill reacted to CF.

He was an excellent CF in college. He won the equivalent of a Gold Glove out there. I think he contributes more as an amazing IF, myself.

Don't look for him to hit much, though.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)

In 2006? Yes. Anderson warmed up quite a bit in July and August.

Macowiak replacing Anderson's bat is one thing but the dude had no business in CF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
Quite frankly, yes. For the 2nd half, Anderson had an OPS only 11 points below Mackowiak and a batting average .001 below him. And I swear, every time he was in CF, Mack missed a play Anderson would have made that would have cost the team at least 1 run.

The problem with measuring BA's statistics is they were almost always put up against the most favorable match-ups possible....whereas Mackowiak faced a steadier diet of top pitching.

I know that BA somehow managed to hit two dingers off Felix Hernandez, but typically he gets owned by dominant/ace-caliber pitchers.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
By mid-April,...

Getz will be the fulltime 2B and leadoff.

I think a #2 hitter but I agree on him being the fulltime player. He is a gamer in the mold of the Twins players that come up and hurt us. The kid can hit, field and grind it out.