Viciedo loses weight + leadoff hitter news

maggsmaggs

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (onedude @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
Is there some way we can morph Owens into Wise. Wise's better power, with Owens OBP and speed.

Wise is a better base runner though, so the speed isn't too big of a factor. It's also hard for Owens to use his speed when he hits a grounder to the right side 80 pct of the time.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
It's just such a joke that the Sox actually think this is a good idea.

Its a reoccuring theme. Last year we tried to trot Owens out as a starter. The groin kept him out. At least Pods had an excuse for his groin issues.

Well one thing's for sure, the Sox will have the worst defensive OF in the game for much of 2009. 3 below average defenders with Dye and Wise being well below average. Toss in Fields at 3B, Pierzynski behind the plate and Konerko at 1B, should be fun. Maybe we can break some records.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
It's just such a joke that the Sox actually think this is a good idea.

Who said they think it is a good idea. I'm sure they'll blather on about their confidence in them, etc, but I doubt either KW or Ozzie think it is a good idea. They are limited by what they can do in payroll, and thats the bottom line. There are no other options.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
Well one thing's for sure, the Sox will have the worst defensive OF in the game for much of 2009. 3 below average defenders with Dye and Wise being well below average. Toss in Fields at 3B, Pierzynski behind the plate and Konerko at 1B, should be fun. Maybe we can break some records.

I wasn't impressed with Quentin's D, but I wouldn't call him below average. I think we expected to find out he was a plus defender and then just saw he wasn't.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
I wasn't impressed with Quentin's D, but I wouldn't call him below average. I think we expected to find out he was a plus defender and then just saw he wasn't.

He was definitely below average last year and he didn't really improve as the season went on so there's no reason for me to believe he'll be any better next year. It's gotta be tough for him playing a whole new position after spending his whole playing career on the right side of the outfield but he never adjusted to the position, even as late as August he was having trouble reading the ball off the bat.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
Wise is a better base runner though, so the speed isn't too big of a factor. It's also hard for Owens to use his speed when he hits a grounder to the right side 80 pct of the time.

Actually, all things considered, I think Owens buys you more on the basepaths than Wise does. Wise does happen to be a smart baserunner from what I saw, but Owens is pretty good too and has a lot more speed.

I'll still take Owens over wise every day.

I do also agree with SSI though, that I'd rather have neither, if that was an option.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
The fact that his hot streak came during a pennant chase was extremely convenient. Which I was happy about by the way.

Wise is just plain not good... 2008 had to be a magic carpet ride for him.

Convenient for CQ to save him from scrutiny by almost giving away the Central for smashing his hand into a locker/wall whatever. I'd like to think Wise was actually a better player when he was starting and knew he would be everyday. We don't win the division last year without Wise. period. Owens would not have been capable of that spark. I'm not calling him an all-star, but sometimes journeymen need to find their niche. Wise never played scared... he plays smart.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
Convenient for CQ to save him from scrutiny by almost giving away the Central for smashing his hand into a locker/wall whatever. I'd like to think Wise was actually a better player when he was starting and knew he would be everyday. We don't win the division last year without Wise. period. Owens would not have been capable of that spark. I'm not calling him an all-star, but sometimes journeymen need to find their niche. Wise never played scared... he plays smart.

Quentin punched his bat after falling off a pitch. Oh Wise looks like a smart ballplayer until you get him in the outfield then he just looks confused.

Wise starting receiving regular playing time on September 9th. He proceeded to hit .206/.265/.429/.694 with 3 SB, 5 BB and 13 Ks from there on out including a 3 for 31 slump over his final 31 AB. Hell of a spark.

He had a 9 game hot streak between the 9th and 19th in which he hit .313/.333/.750/1.083. The Sox went 4-5 over that span. Thank god for DeWayne wise and his 2 HRs in a blowout against the Royals.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)

If you want to point to his .206 average and .271 OBP in 72 PAs in September as one of the primary reasons the Sox win the division (along with some pretty bad defense), be my guest. Actually, I'm even being generous with the length of the hot streak as that ended sometime in July. He didn't come crashing back to Earth, but he still came gently back to Earth.

I don't see what CQ has to do with this though.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)

haha

Did you watch any games other than the 3 Wise had a HR in? Claiming that Wise, a 30 something year old career minor leaguer, won us the division is the most ridiculous thing i have heard all day. Congrats.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
He was definitely below average last year and he didn't really improve as the season went on so there's no reason for me to believe he'll be any better next year. It's gotta be tough for him playing a whole new position after spending his whole playing career on the right side of the outfield but he never adjusted to the position, even as late as August he was having trouble reading the ball off the bat.

Fair enough, but at least he has some decent athletic ability. He doesn't have the natural ability to read the ball off the bat like some better OFs do that can play any position (e.g. Anderson) but I still feel like I should be giving him the benefit of the doubt even though he wasn't that good in 2008. He was supposed to bring some pretty good D when he came up.

I wish they would say two of Lillebridge, Nix, Getz and Anderson based on spring training will play everyday regardless of the pitcher as they give us the best defense and offensive combination. Wise and Owens are terrible centerfielders and mediocore hitters at best. I'd rather spend money on Abreu and stick him in center and leadoff as oppossed to Wise or Owens.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)

wow, i never thought about that. we are guna suck lol

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
haha

Did you watch any games other than the 3 Wise had a HR in? Claiming that Wise, a 30 something year old career minor leaguer, won us the division is the most ridiculous thing i have heard all day. Congrats.

So you're basically saying no matter who played LF after CQ's injury Owens, Wise, Swisher... it was inevitable that we were winning the AL Central? I also realize that the least favorite Soxtalk player is the starting lead-off hitter, so this whole thread is not gonna get us anywhere.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
So you're basically saying no matter who played LF after CQ's injury Owens, Wise, Swisher... it was inevitable that we were winning the AL Central? I also realize that the least favorite Soxtalk player is the starting lead-off hitter, so this whole thread is not gonna get us anywhere.

Yeah, pretty much. Unless you believe Wise's 3-31 slump and horrible defense over the final 10 games of the season totally outweighs a brief hot streak over a 9 game span in which the Sox had a losing record.

Having Wise go 0-12 in that big Twins series (0-9 leading off) at the Metrodome sure as hell didn't help matters.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
Yeah, pretty much. Unless you believe Wise's 3-31 slump and horrible defense over the final 10 games of the season totally outweighs a brief hot streak over a 9 game span in which the Sox had a losing record.

Having Wise go 0-12 in that big Twins series (0-9 leading off) at the Metrodome sure as hell didn't help matters.

Winner^^^ Lol

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)

Exactly, that's why I think Anderson sticks with the team for defensive/platoon purposes. I also think Viciedo has a better shot at making the club as a RF with Fields at 3B, thus facilitating a Dye trade. Doesn't necessarily help the defense much but gives the team an opportunity to bring in more young pitching/prospects.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)

We didn't win any of the Twins games, but I hear ya there... Wise has always been the reason why we couldn't win in the Hump Dome. I also find it funny that the Sox would rather trot out this " $200K 30 year old minor league journey-man" everyday in the middle of a heated pennant race over the savior in waiting, Nick the Swisher. Hell, even Ozzie can admit Swish would be a much better defensive option than Wise... yet there was no playing time to be found for Nicky in September. BA wasn't an option because we all know that Ozzie absolutely refused to put him in Left. People are b****ing about Wise's OBP, did Owens have anything above that all year until very late in Charlotte? The Sox sure were anxious to get him up here. I'll take a veteran that knows the game over a young hack that is digressing and would not even have had a shot in this league if it wasn't for his legs.

Edited by watchtower41

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)

Q and Dye both below avg? Dye may be close to that, but Q is avg to above avg in LF. He's always been graded out as a good defender his entire career.