Linebrink throwing again, currently pain-free

Balta1701

Not seeing a thread on this, but here's an update on Linebrink's rest/rehab. Some good, some bad.

"It was the rest that I needed," Linebrink said. "Rest was the biggest thing. It wasn't something I was going to work through. From the middle of October to the end of December, I didn't pick up a baseball."

Linebrink had a 2.37 ERA in the first half but pitched only 81/3 innings in the second half. He has worked on strengthening his shoulder and on range-of-motion exercises.

"Flexibility always has been an issue with me," Linebrink said. "I have to do everything I can to make sure I have good range of motion and [sound] mechanics."

Linebrink said the extra week of spring training brought on by the World Baseball Classic will enable him to progress at a steady pace instead of "firing right away and trying to test it and see how it feels."

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
It sounds like he'll be ready and pain free on Opening Day. The bullpen is one area where the Sox could/should have a big advantage in the division, but that advantage won't be there without an effective, healthy Linebrink.

True, with Jenks, Linebrink, Thorton and Dotel the Sox can run out some good arms. They'll need it with a young guy at 5 and the crapshoot that will be Colon's health.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
True, with Jenks, Linebrink, Thorton and Dotel the Sox can run out some good arms. They'll need it with a young guy at 5 and the crapshoot that will be Colon's health.

What they really need is a long man who can eat some innings to protect both the pen arms and the young guys since we saw last year what happens when one cog in that pen goes down. Richard might be the best guy for that long man job based on his performance in 2008.

the fact that this article was even written is a bad sign IMO...from what I had thought linebrink was back to being healthy at the end of the year, but still sucked because he was getting his feet back under him without a rehab stint...the guy better be ready to freaking pitch...hes had all offseason, and its not like he had surgery or something