Picture of Michael Phelps smoking bong surfaces

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 1998 Winter games, Canadian snowboarder Ross Rebagliati had a medal temporarily revoked after testing positive for marijuana. It was eventually returned.

The reasoning? Marijuana is legal in many of the countries represented in the Olympics and is not what could be considered a performance-enhancing drug, whether or not it was ingested as second-hand smoke as Rebagliati claimed.

Pot's legal in California, if you have the right documentation. Most drugs subject to federal bans are such because they were rooted in racial and/or social prejudices and as such are basically Bills of Attainder and therefore unconstitutional. But that's a whole other topic.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 1, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
The main problem with this is when the young athlete sees this and says hey I guess I can smoke and still be an elite athlete because Michael Phelps is the best ever in an endurance sport AND he smokes!

At the very least, his sponsors will see it that way. The only reason this is a story is because he probably just threw away millions of dollars by smoking weed.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 07:53 AM)
At the very least, his sponsors will see it that way. The only reason this is a story is because he probably just threw away millions of dollars by smoking weed.

I'm sure plenty of his sponsors see this as a way to get out of bad deals. Let's face it, Michael Phelps isn't making companies much money especially in this economy. So he was a dope for doing what he did when everyone has a camera on their cellphone giving his sponsors a chance at an out. As far as the actual act of doing bongs, who cares.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 1, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
This post is so incredibly inaccurate.

Smoking a joint does not equal ripping a bong.

Who gives a f***? The people that say marijuana is illegal?

"Breath of fresh air"? From a bong....really? Really?

Out of curiosity, what do you see as the difference?

I guess I dont think its a huge stretch to figure that some one who attends a school notorious for drug use (Michigan), who is a millionaire and who listens to Lil Wayne, may have tried marijuana.

Conversely if he attended some Ivy league school, listened to Mozart and lived a life dedicated to poverty, Id probably be less likely to figure he was into weed.

Then again, I think you could just look at him and see that hes a little bit faded.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
I guess I dont think its a huge stretch to figure that some one who attends a school notorious for drug use (Michigan), who is a millionaire and who listens to Lil Wayne, may have tried marijuana.

Conversely if he attended some Ivy league school, listened to Mozart and lived a life dedicated to poverty, Id probably be less likely to figure he was into weed.

Then again, I think you could just look at him and see that hes a little bit faded.

I think that's just an incredibly weak argument. Most of my friends who smoke listen to country or rock. The type of music one listens to does not have influence on their actions. I'm sure plenty of stoners get off to Bach or Mozart or Raffi...

I cant make up my mind if Tim Tebow smokes or not

I cant believe people are really taking my Lil Wayne remark so seriously.

It was 75% joke, 25% truth. When I heard the statement over the summer I thought it would be funny if Phelps smoked. I figured that it would be unlikely that a swimmer was a consistent user, but that I imagined Phelps had at least tried it.

Its really irrelevant it was more just something about all of my friends than anything serious. You obviously can not just judge people based on a few things.

But if you asked me about almost any NCAA athlete, Id say that they smoked at least 1 time (Tebow included.) I just more meant that with a gold medal swimmer it seems unlikely, but that some of Phelps personality traits suggested that maybe he did smoke.

(Edit)

I dont have any friends who listen to country, only rap and rock.

Edited by Soxbadger

lol

I doubt that the Anti-drug squad is as vocal in this thread as in other ones.

The idea that marijuana should be legalized is much more main-stream than HGH and other performance enhancing drugs should be legal.

But the point still remains, just because the US says something is legal or illegal, does not really make it right or wrong. The US govt said that slavery was right, that not letting woman vote was right, and so on and so forth. So just because the US govt says Marijuana is bad, doesnt make me just blindly believe them.

I know many people in the US believe that the govt can do no wrong, that is why I use hyperbolic examples to show just how horribly wrong the US govt can be.

Rosa Parks situation is a great example of just how ridiculous laws can be, and why people should question the laws and never just blindly follow.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
I cant believe people are really taking my Lil Wayne remark so seriously.

It was 75% joke, 25% truth. When I heard the statement over the summer I thought it would be funny if Phelps smoked. I figured that it would be unlikely that a swimmer was a consistent user, but that I imagined Phelps had at least tried it.

Its really irrelevant it was more just something about all of my friends than anything serious. You obviously can not just judge people based on a few things.

But if you asked me about almost any NCAA athlete, Id say that they smoked at least 1 time (Tebow included.) I just more meant that with a gold medal swimmer it seems unlikely, but that some of Phelps personality traits suggested that maybe he did smoke.

(Edit)

I dont have any friends who listen to country, only rap and rock.

*GASP*

ONUD

The 3 last presidents and most of the first many confirmed smoking pot. Alot of those folks are educated driven leaders and still wanted to take a break sometimes.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
lol

I doubt that the Anti-drug squad is as vocal in this thread as in other ones.

The idea that marijuana should be legalized is much more main-stream than HGH and other performance enhancing drugs should be legal.

One of the main reasons is the long term damage that those drugs have been proven to do to humans vs Pot which has mostly medicinal and relaxation effects.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott says he will charge Michael Phelps with a crime if he determines the Olympics hero smoked marijuana in Richland County.

Phelps, who set a record with eight gold medals in the 2008 Summer Olympics, was photographed smoking a marijuana pipe at a November party in Columbia.

The picture was published in the British newspaper News of the World. Phelps apologized Sunday, calling his behavior "inappropriate."

"This case is no different than any other case," Lott said Monday. "This one might be a lot easier since we have photographs of someone using drugs and a partial confession. It's a relatively easy case once we can determine where the crime occurred."

Possession of marijuana is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 30 days in jail or a $570 fine, plus court costs.

Link.