Picture of Michael Phelps smoking bong surfaces

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
Yet another example how the "war" on drugs is a complete waste of cash.

How does this sheriff have the luxury to not be investigating unsolved crimes or other offenses that involved innocent people getting hurt?

When you are plastered all over the world as having committed a crime, doesn't it seem wrong to ignore it? And how f***ing stupid to try and sell the bong on eBay? The Sheriff is in a no win circumstance. Ignore it on the front page, and how would they ever arrest anyone for drugs again?

I am surprised the statue of limitations didn't expire on this case. I wouldn't think you can pursue a case against a guy who took a hit off a bong several months ago at a party (I think it was several months ago.) I think the sheriff is wasting his time here, although I agree he's in a no win situation.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
I am surprised the statue of limitations didn't expire on this case. I wouldn't think you can pursue a case against a guy who took a hit off a bong several months ago at a party (I think it was several months ago.) I think the sheriff is wasting his time here, although I agree he's in a no win situation.

Many people seem to have questions on the South Carolina criminal statute of limitations laws. South Carolina has no statute of limitation on any crime except writing bad checks. This puts South Carolina in the fout strictest states, in regard to statutes of limitations. Kentucky also has no statute of limitations on any felony. North Carolina has no statute of limitations for any felony and Wyoming has no statute of limitations for any crime, period.
Link

When you are plastered all over the world as having committed a crime, doesn't it seem wrong to ignore it? And how f***ing stupid to try and sell the bong on eBay? The Sheriff is in a no win circumstance. Ignore it on the front page, and how would they ever arrest anyone for drugs again?

He could simply say "due to lack of solid evidence, we will no longer pursue this as a criminal investigation." They have a picture of him smoking something out of a pipe. It could have been tobacco or salvia (not sure if it's legal in that state,) but it most likely wasn't. That's not strong enough to hold up in the court of law.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
He could simply say "due to lack of solid evidence, we will no longer pursue this as a criminal investigation." They have a picture of him smoking something out of a pipe. It could have been tobacco or salvia (not sure if it's legal in that state,) but it most likely wasn't. That's not strong enough to hold up in the court of law.

But if you had a handful of witnesses testifying the opposite, would that be enough?

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)

He could, and open himself up to speculation from his next opponent who would paint him as soft on drugs, and awe struck by a celebrity. People would ask why he didn't investigate further. A case was handed to him on a silver platter, if he fumbled it, who would ever vote for him? Or, if it isn't an elected official, why would his bosses not fire him?

The picture was one piece of evidence. Cops then investigate to see if they can find more evidence. They don't just stop at one part.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
He could, and open himself up to speculation from his next opponent who would paint him as soft on drugs, and awe struck by a celebrity. People would ask why he didn't investigate further. A case was handed to him on a silver platter, if he fumbled it, who would ever vote for him? Or, if it isn't an elected official, why would his bosses not fire him?

The picture was one piece of evidence. Cops then investigate to see if they can find more evidence. They don't just stop at one part.

Complete waste of time for them, but also career suicide if they didnt pursue the case. f***ed either way.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
Complete waste of time for them, but also career suicide if they didnt pursue the case. f***ed either way.

Exactly.

And highlights why stupid, drunk, or stoned people get caught far more often than smart people.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
Exactly.

And highlights why stupid, drunk, or stoned people get caught far more often than smart people.

Completely this kid's fault. If you are a celeb and you KNOW you are doing something that is illegal, dont do it front of a camera.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
Completely this kid's fault. If you are a celeb and you KNOW you are doing something that is illegal, dont do it front of a camera.

I agree, but cameras are everywhere now given their size and cellphone cameras. One more reason why being famous would suck.

Can't believe they are going through so much trouble for a handful of misdemeanor charges.

Is smoking pot even illegal? I mean I know possession and distribution are, but if you smoke it does that mean that you must possess it?

And how many people can be charged with possession of one piece of paraphernalia?

I guess they need to get those criminals into custody where they pose no threat to society.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 12, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
February 11, 2009

The Sheriff is going too far. Sorry, this is way out of scale. Search warrants on 8 kids homes. Twenty deputies. Nope, he just passed the ridiculous level for a pot violation.

The cops know they have a great chance to track down a dealer who could face serious charges. You can blame the sheriff or you can blame the law. Fact is, it's their job to investigate.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 08:42 AM)
The cops know they have a great chance to track down a dealer who could face serious charges. You can blame the sheriff or you can blame the law. Fact is, it's their job to investigate.

Great chance? Come on, thats like saying if you arrest anyone who is smoking dope that you have a great chance of tracking down a dealer. It just isnt true, there are so many middle men and such that wont rat out the big guy, they are going to arrest some fratboy who is dealing small amounts and make him the fall guy for Michael Phelps smoking a bong. Its just ridiculous

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
Great chance? Come on, thats like saying if you arrest anyone who is smoking dope that you have a great chance of tracking down a dealer. It just isnt true, there are so many middle men and such that wont rat out the big guy, they are going to arrest some fratboy who is dealing small amounts and make him the fall guy for Michael Phelps smoking a bong. Its just ridiculous

I doubt they'd be bothering if they didn't have a reliable lead.

Can't believe they are going through so much trouble for a handful of misdemeanor charges.

Is smoking pot even illegal? I mean I know possession and distribution are, but if you smoke it does that mean that you must possess it?

And how many people can be charged with possession of one piece of paraphernalia?

I guess they need to get those criminals into custody where they pose no threat to society.

I believe in North Dakota if you have THC in your system it is grounds for possession.

Its a sad day for this country. Seriously, if theyre gonna go after this, they need to go after the thousands of pictures of kids on myspace smoking weed. I firmly believe stars and athletes dont deserve special treatment, whether its benefiting them or hurting them. This is simply asinine.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 06:40 PM)
Im sure they have Pablo Escobar firmly in their sights now that the first domino has fallen

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
They may now be one step away from winning the war on drugs once and for all.

...yeah...that's what I said...or even implied.

I guess the police should do nothing to enforce laws. Grand idea.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 14, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
...yeah...that's what I said...or even implied.

I guess the police should do nothing to enforce laws. Grand idea.

Or better yet, maybe the police should pick and choose which internet pothead picture they should go after, in order of perceived celebrity, what an even greater idea. I mean, if you see someone smoking in a picture, then they obviously can get you the name of a dealer who you can bring down, everyone will rat everyone out and all will be well in the world.

This is a 15 seconds of fame by this police department, they are going to make a lot of grand statements and in the end someone is going to get busted for misdemeanor possession and thats it, POSSIBLY intent to distribute but very doubtful considering they have a picture of a guy pulling a bong, and not actual proof of possession or any actual marijuana as it is. In fact, the only thing they have is bong residue.

Its a waste of taxpayer dollars in the name of fame.