White Sox Top 11 Prospects

False Alarm

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 07:21 PM)
Any rating for Viciedo at this point is VERY silly, at best.

Flowers also seems to be getting the short end of the stick, compared to where he's normally at...which is 3rd or 4th, especially if he can stick as a catcher, he'd be #3 behind Wieters and Posey probably in MLB if he has another season like last year (plus the AFL.)

I also don't see how Lillibridge can be completely out of the picture (well, "sleeper") after one injury-riddled season.

I think I know why you would say that, but with all the hype and money spent I was going to and did say I was surprised he was #3 and not higher. I can see him and Beckham contributing vey soon

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
Any rating for Viciedo at this point is VERY silly, at best.

Flowers also seems to be getting the short end of the stick, compared to where he's normally at...which is 3rd or 4th, especially if he can stick as a catcher, he'd be #3 behind Wieters and Posey probably in MLB if he has another season like last year (plus the AFL.)

I also don't see how Lillibridge can be completely out of the picture (well, "sleeper") after one injury-riddled season.

Honestly, what's the big difference between Vidiedo and a first round draft pick out of high school? Both are about the same age, and no one but actual MLB scouts get a chance to see these players play. With all the hype Viciedo has had, as well the fact he played professional ball in Cuba since he was 16(?) (which is much better then high school ball), and that we committed 10 million dollars on him, I'd say he should be rated pretty high.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
No, I have not heard anything knew. If I do, I will let you know. They are probably stuck in the D.R. waiting for their Dominican papers so Bud Selig can declare them free agents. That is the price to pay for being Cuban I guess.

Hey, hopefully one day Cuba will become a free country. That'll be great not only for the people of Cuba, but for baseball as well. I suppose Cuban baseball would take a big hit though since a lot of those players would then sign with Major league ball clubs.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
Hey, hopefully one day Cuba will become a free country. That'll be great not only for the people of Cuba, but for baseball as well. I suppose Cuban baseball would take a big hit though since a lot of those players would then sign with Major league ball clubs.

Havana is a city of over 2 million people and is clearly within flying distance of every other team in MLB, at least until the next energy price spike. In the short term the economy couldn't handle a modern major league team and affording a ballpark, but given how rapidly that country might be rebuilt once tourism dollars can start flowing in to there again, that could be a wonderful place for a major league team.

But can you EVER imagine having an MLB team in Caracas or Venezuela while Chavez is the leader? I don't think so.

It would be interesting to have that MLB South though.....Mexico City, Cuba/Havana, San Juan...Santo Domingo would be really, really pushing it. Could Mexico support/sustain two teams? It would have to be Guadalajara, Monterrey or Juarez/El Paso (which currently has a pretty successful AA Texas League franchise).

On the Colombian north shore, you have Cartagena and Baranquilla...those cities are pretty baseball crazy. It would be a real challenge to come up with more than 4.

Mexico City

Cuba/Havana

Caracas

San Juan (maybe)

Monterrey or Guadalajara (doubtful)

Panama City (Mariano Rivera and Carlos Lee)

Cartagena/Baranquilla (Renteria/Cabrera)

Personally, I'm in favor of keeping baseball in the continental US and in Toronto. I just think making baseball so international, it would kind of take away from the game. I wouldn't mind seeing a Latin America League started with teams in all those cities though. It could either be an independent league, or you could affiliate it with major league teams.

I think it would be kinda cool to have MLB teams in Mexico or Cuba but don't think it's very realistic. You're talking about third world countries where dropping $150 to take your family to a game is a tremendous amount of money. I hate the idea of people spending that much money on a luxury instead of using it for necessities. I'm not sure that those places could really support MLB teams but bringing AA or AAA teams to those places would definitely be a possibility and would be a cool way to bring a little bit of MLB to those places.