Official 2008-2009 NFL Offseason Thread

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)
Robiskie is a middle round pick with #2 receiver upside at the absolute best. He's just not fast enough to be an absolute stud. Solid possession receiver at his best. Iglesias also seems like a prototypical slot receiver to me too.

Speed is overrated as a WR. Fitzgerald ran a 4.63 at the combine when he was drafted, and Boldin isn't ridiculously fast, either.

We don't need an absolute stud WR. We need a guy who can be a big enough threat that he'd take some coverage to the middle of the field and leave Hester 1 on 1 to the outside. At the same time, when there's double coverage on him, we need that possession guy to be able to catch, and Robiskie has good hands.

I'd probably prefer Nicks or Britt, but I wouldn't mind Heyward-Bey or Robiskie.

I don't really want Gibson- he reminds me of Earl Bennett.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 01:34 AM)
As much as TO may need to leave Dallas, I really don't like going in with Williams & Crayton as the top 2 guys. Agreed on Kosier & the FS.

I'd like more secondary help period.

Also if Dallas lets go of TO, doesn't that take a big chunk out of the cap for 09? I also read a rumor a little while back that Jerry may be interested in bringing in Ray Lewis, something like that may be needed to get things right in the locker room.

I think Williams will bounce back next season if he's 100% healthy.

I just don't think TO and Garrett can co-exist in the locker room. One needs to go.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 06:43 AM)
I think Williams will bounce back next season if he's 100% healthy.

I just don't think TO and Garrett can co-exist in the locker room. One needs to go.

I don't know about your first statement...unless he's also the clear #1 guy. Williams strikes me as a guy who quits very, very easily if he's not getting the ball in his hands.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
Do the Bears have a QB under comtract for next season?

IF by next season you mean "2010", the answer is down to Caleb Hanie. Orton has 1 year left on his contract. Therefore, the Bears need to make some sort of QB move this offseason just to assure that they have a warm body to play that position in 2010.

Steelers signed RB/KR Stefan Logan from the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL.

"Joystick" was Canada's most exciting player, averaging a ridiculous 7.3 yards per carry in 2008. He's way too small to play running back in the NFL, but he could be an asset to the Steelers as a Dante Hall-like returner.

Representing THE University of South Dakota.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
Representing THE University of South Dakota.

I'm actually really excited about this signing. The Steelers have had two fullback types in Gary Russell and Carrie Davis returning kicks all year, it was miserable to watch. I honestly don't really know how the Steelers won the super bowl this year, just crazy. Steelers had a very mediocre offensive line, horrendous punting and kick returns, and a head coach that was basically a figurehead. I guess the city needs to erect a statue to Dick Lebeau and Ben.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)
I'm actually really excited about this signing. The Steelers have had two fullback types in Gary Russell and Carrie Davis returning kicks all year, it was miserable to watch. I honestly don't really know how the Steelers won the super bowl this year, just crazy. Steelers had a very mediocre offensive line, horrendous punting and kick returns, and a head coach that was basically a figurehead. I guess the city needs to erect a statue to Dick Lebeau and Ben.

He is a very similar player to Darren Sproles. Rotoworld has him listed at like 5'9, but he's probably 5'6 or so because I looked down on him walking through campus my freshman year, and I'm 5'10. He'll probably have a short career in the NFL though because he will be 28 by the time the season starts (if he hasn't turned 28 already, I don't know his exact birthdate). I just remember that the first game I ever went to, he fielded the opening kickoff of the season and ran it back for a TD (given, it was against a D3 school, but it was still pretty badass).

It's a solid signing and I'm not sure how he wasn't signed before this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
IF by next season you mean "2010", the answer is down to Caleb Hanie. Orton has 1 year left on his contract. Therefore, the Bears need to make some sort of QB move this offseason just to assure that they have a warm body to play that position in 2010.

Thanks. I meant the season that begins in six months. Should I have said this season?

QUOTE (4 points @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 05:21 AM)
Here is something interesting, this guy my brother knows is a friend of Mayhews in Detroit, he thinks the Lions will draft DJ Raji with the 1st pick. Could be a weird and interesting 1st round.

His name is BJ Raji, but alright.

I doubt that will happen. The Ford's love money and so they'll go with the guy who will sell the jerseys- Matt Stafford.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
Can you really blame the Lions for starting with a qb?

A little bit. Orlovsky wasn't all that bad this past year with a sh*t OL, and Stanton never really got a chance and he was a 2nd round pick. Plus, after you're that bad, you re-tool the OL- just ask Miami: they took Long, signed a veteran QB, and won 11 games. If I was the GM of the Lions, I'd go Monroe and Jason Smith with the #1 overall pick, then sign somebody like Leftwich.

Then, I'd go hard after Haynesworth and Hayden in FA.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
No matter how hard I try, I simply can't get into the pro-bowl.

I didn't even know it was being played today until this morning... How sad is that? The Pro-Bowl is a worthless event. They should give players post-season awards for being All-Pro or whatever, but not play the game. Just an acknowledgment-type thing as reward for having a great season.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)

Also a mentally retarded OC.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
ESPN has the Bears taking Harvin with their pick, which I think is a really stupid guess at a pick. Im not sure why we would get a guy who grades out alot like Devin Hester.

I'd rather have 6 other WR's instead of Harvin- Robiskie, Crabtree, Heyward-Bey, Maclin, Nicks, and Britt.

Besides their skill sets, there's been 1 solid WR out of Florida...ever.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
I'd rather have 6 other WR's instead of Harvin- Robiskie, Crabtree, Heyward-Bey, Maclin, Nicks, and Britt.

Besides their skill sets, there's been 1 solid WR out of Florida...ever.

What does a schools past have to do with any of it? If it was the same coach for all the years there maybe would be a better point.