Official 2008-2009 NFL Offseason Thread

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)
since when is Eddie Royal a stud? Solid slot receiver, sure, but I wouldn't label him as a stud.

bingo

Cutler is a franchise QB, put Marshall and Royal on the Bears and try and tell me Orton throws for 4500 yards and 25 TDs.. he wouldn't.

If you are trying to put Denvers collapse on Cutler, that's not right. If their defense was decent they prolly win 12 games

look i hated jay cutler during my vandy days....i went down just above the tunnel and booed him off the field once during halftime and yelled at him that we wanted the back up....but the guy is legit...with Cutler at QB Hester becomes eddie royal IMO, but probably a better deep threat...He forces throws at times and makes some mistakes, but i think he will cut that down as he matures....he has a HUGE arm, can fit the ball into tight spots, he can move in the pocket (his first two years in college he ran in an option offense)....if anything I gained respect for cutler as he has been in the NFL because he has called out that enormous twat phillip rivers....he also put up those numbers last year on a team that had no running game whatsoever...put cutler on the bears, and watch as forte runs crazy no longer facing 8 men in the box....

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 06:27 PM)
What has Cutler ever done? The most I'd give up for him is a 2nd this year and a 3rd or 4th next year. He had 25 TD's and 20 turnovers (18 INT, 2 fumbles lost) this past year, and in Chicago he wouldn't have Eddie Royal and Brandon Marshall.

That's crazy.

Cutler is easiy better than Orton for starters. He would also be the Bears QB for 10 seasons, giving them stability at the QB spot that they haven't had for ages.

If the Bears have a chance to get him, they should do everything possible to do so.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 12:43 AM)
Cutler will do ridiculously bad here. He's shakey at times with 2 STUD WR's in Denver- how will he come here with Devin Hester, me, and you at WR?

I'd rather we kept Orton and traded for someone like Boldin or Chad Johnson, then trade for Cutler and keep our current WR's.

It's not even worth it to respond to you.

Cutler instantly becomes the greatest QB since Luckman in Chicago.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
With what receivers and o-line?

Thank you. Finally someone with a clue. How will he have time to throw here? Who will he throw to? Freaking Devin Hester and Earl Bennett? Rashied Davis?

We can all sit here and play the "what if" game, but until we get real OL and real WR's in here, it won't matter if Tom Brady was our QB. I don't think Coles is the answer to all our problems, but not even an effort to get him? Same thing with Bryant Johnson- you think if we would have offered him a 3-9 contract like Detroit did, he'd be playing there next year? I don't.

I think the better question is- if Sanchez, Maclin, and Oher are on the board when we pick, who do we pick? If we somehow get Cutler and Maclin and Oher are on the board, who do we pick?

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
Thank you. Finally someone with a clue. How will he have time to throw here? Who will he throw to? Freaking Devin Hester and Earl Bennett? Rashied Davis?

We can all sit here and play the "what if" game, but until we get real OL and real WR's in here, it won't matter if Tom Brady was our QB. I don't think Coles is the answer to all our problems, but not even an effort to get him? Same thing with Bryant Johnson- you think if we would have offered him a 3-9 contract like Detroit did, he'd be playing there next year? I don't.

I think the better question is- if Sanchez, Maclin, and Oher are on the board when we pick, who do we pick? If we somehow get Cutler and Maclin and Oher are on the board, who do we pick?

So instead of bringing in a very good QB, we should avoid it because he would have no one to throw to?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)
So instead of bringing in a very good QB, we should avoid it because he would have no one to throw to?

Yes and if you werent so clueless you would understand that that makes sense...

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
Hey, we have no Eddie Royal, so there.

Another thing to think about...there's a reason why guys like Housh are more interested in going to places like Seattle and Philadelphia than they are Chicago...because of the QB situations in those cities. Everyone knows the Bears are a running team...the Bears are where WR's go to die. You stick Cutler in there, and suddenly a few WR's might actually want to come to Chicago.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
Another thing to think about...there's a reason why guys like Housh are more interested in going to places like Seattle and Philadelphia than they are Chicago...because of the QB situations in those cities. Everyone knows the Bears are a running team...the Bears are where WR's go to die. You stick Cutler in there, and suddenly a few WR's might actually want to come to Chicago.

Players are going to go wherever they going to get paid the most, if we threw the money at TJ or whoever he probably would of had us on his top teams list too.

If Jay Cutler was traded to the Bears, Hester would catch for 1200 yards and I could realistically see Bennett and Olsen both catching for 800+ yards. He's also better at throwing when he's on the run, so that will help make up for a piss-poor O-Line too.

What a vicious cycle you present here... we don't have good WR or a good OL so we shouldn't go get a good QB. Rather we should keep a bad QB and get him good WR to throw to and a good OL to protect him. Where does the cycle end? Keep trotting out bad QB's because we need to get them more help? What if the WR were good, but look bad because the QB cant get em the ball? Why cant a good QB make bad WR better? Why cant a QB who makes his reads quicker make a bad OL better?

So we should continue to implement the same strategy we have for years and hope that a REAL QB magically falls in our lap. That has worked real well for us. Your probably right that if Tom Brady was the bears QB next year he wouldn't be the "Tom Brady" we have grown to admire, however, he also wouldn't be Kyle Orton either. I'd much rather go into battle with Tom Brady than Kyle Orton, with any group of receivers and any O-Line, and for that matter I'd rather have Jay Cutler too.

I don't see why its this horrible idea to trade a midlevel first round pick for a QB who has already made a pro-bowl! Jay Cutler is better than any pick we can make at 18.

There was too man amazing posts for me to quote just one..

You build around a QB, not the other way around. The Bears getting Cutler makes every WR that much better, and getting the OL fixed now becomes the priority.

Having a young stud QB like Cutler sets your franchise up for quite a while.

Again, I don't care what anyone says...until you improve the WR & O-Line situation it won't matter. I'm not saying Cutler would look like Orton back there, but he sure wouldn't be the same QB he was in Denver. You don't even have to improve the situations dramatically IMO. But very few QB's would be able to do well in this current situation.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
Again, I don't care what anyone says...until you improve the WR & O-Line situation it won't matter. I'm not saying Cutler would look like Orton back there, but he sure wouldn't be the same QB he was in Denver. You don't even have to improve the situations dramatically IMO. But very few QB's would be able to do well in this current situation.

We're not going to be Superbowl contenders tomorrow if Jay Cutler arrives... but we'd be significantly closer. He would instantly become the best QB in the division and would make other defenses respect our passing game, and open up our running game.

and you're right, few QB's would be able to do well here... but Jay Cutler has the skills to be one of those QB's.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
Getting Cutler makes sense.......therefore it is guaranteed to not happen.

QB's make WR's better....WR's really can't do much for a QB if the QB sucks.

I don't think it will happen because Denver will wisen up, like the Phoenix Suns with Amare, and realize that they're not going to get the kind of return necessary to justify sending Cutler out of town.

Denver wanted Matt Cassel because they thought he was better suited for their offense, there isnt another Matt Cassel available and they would be absolutely insane to trade Cutler without another stellar QB to replace him with.

They will kiss and make up because its the best football move they can make given the circumstances.

The Cutler thing seems to have deeper roots than it may appear.

Some reports are saying that Cutler has been unhappy that the Broncos got rid of his qb coach and the head coach.

With the way everything has blown up, the new Denver coaching staff may need to get rid of Cutler just so that it doesnt have a power struggle on its hands.

Josh McDaniels is 32 years old and has worked exclusively with the Patriots (biggest reason imo he wanted Cassel). He basically has no head coaching experience and has no real playing experience.

Cutler is 26 (only 6 years younger than McDaniels), if he already has a problem with McDaniels, it could spell disaster for the Broncos.

At this point the Broncos may seriously have to consider trading Cutler if there is going to be a problem between him and McDaniels. McDaniels is to inexperienced to try and deal with this type of controversy in his first season, and it probably would be best for all parties if his first QB, is one of his guys.

Its clear that he wanted Cassel because he felt comfortable with him.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
The Cutler thing seems to have deeper roots than it may appear.

Some reports are saying that Cutler has been unhappy that the Broncos got rid of his qb coach and the head coach.

With the way everything has blown up, the new Denver coaching staff may need to get rid of Cutler just so that it doesnt have a power struggle on its hands.

Josh McDaniels is 32 years old and has worked exclusively with the Patriots (biggest reason imo he wanted Cassel). He basically has no head coaching experience and has no real playing experience.

Cutler is 26 (only 6 years younger than McDaniels), if he already has a problem with McDaniels, it could spell disaster for the Broncos.

At this point the Broncos may seriously have to consider trading Cutler if there is going to be a problem between him and McDaniels. McDaniels is to inexperienced to try and deal with this type of controversy in his first season, and it probably would be best for all parties if his first QB, is one of his guys.

Its clear that he wanted Cassel because he felt comfortable with him.

I sure hope you're right. And if so... Jerry Angelo should back up his promise to "solidify" the QB position. Jerry Angelo could single handedly establish his legacy if he could bring a guy like Cutler to be his QB and gave him the weapons to succeed.

No other GM in recent Bears History (that I can remember) has been able to bring a franchise QB to this team.