NY Daily News: Sox make Abreu 1-Year Offer

Steve9347

QUOTE (BearSox @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
The only ways I see this is happening is the following:

1.) We are planning on trading one of Dye, Konerko, Thome (unlikely, but the most likely of all the scenarios I see)

2.) We plan on playing Abreu in CF (highly unlikely, maybe when he was younger)

3.) We plan on moving Konerko to 3B and Abreu/Dye to 1B (extremely unlikely considering how we signed Vicindi and with all the high praises for Fields)

Odds are that this is BS anyway.

god help us if its anything besides 1...I have a better chance playing 3rd for the sox this year than Konerko, so #3 is out, and i dont think anyone in the sox front office is actually willing to play abreu in Cf so i dont see that happening

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
Lip, who works for suntimes on whitesoxinteractive, posted that ozzie laughed this one off and abreu looking for 2 yr deal.

I wonder why an offer was made, but the Sox brass are "laughing it off". Perhaps because its obvious they needed another deal in place before they signed him?

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
god help us if its anything besides 1...I have a better chance playing 3rd for the sox this year than Konerko, so #3 is out, and i dont think anyone in the sox front office is actually willing to play abreu in Cf so i dont see that happening

If anything, I'd say Quentin would be the most likely to play in CF.

But it's not going to happen, so there's no point in speculating about it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
Abreu is no doubt trying to negotiate a 2nd year in any deal.

Absolutely.

My prediction is he ends up in Seattle when it's all said and done.

If he wants the best chance to put up good numbers on a 1 year deal though, the White Sox are a perfect match for him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
Abreu is no doubt trying to negotiate a 2nd year in any deal.

If he's shocked at the discount he would have to sign for, I wonder why he would want to lock himself into another year of being underpaid. I wouldn't doubt the Sox made an offer, but I wonder if it was recently. There are a couple things that would have to happen for Abreu to play with the White Sox and while they probably would love to have him for $8 million, the other parts are probably a no go.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
Lip, who works for suntimes on whitesoxinteractive, posted that ozzie laughed this one off and abreu looking for 2 yr deal.

That quote was put on here too, months ago, and he didn't "laugh it off", he said it would be nice to have him, but not likely (or something like that). Means nothing.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
"Why can't the Sox pickup Abreu and trade him to the Cubs for some of their pitching prospects?"

This is why I don't listen to much sports radio and absolutely none of Mike Murphy.

Murphy is the lowest of the lowest common denominators. Talk about a fanboy, some of his assertions about baseball are absolutely ridiculous

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
"Why can't the Sox pickup Abreu and trade him to the Cubs for some of their pitching prospects?"

This is why I don't listen to much sports radio and absolutely none of Mike Murphy.

Cubs fans are still considering Guzman a prospect.

from daily herald:

According to a report in the New York Daily News, the White Sox have offered a one-year, $8 milion deal to ex-Yankee outfielder Bobby Abreu.

The Yankees paid Abreu $16 million to play right field for them last season, and the free agent has not had many multiple-year offers this winter.

Abreu, who turns 35 this month, batted .296 last season with 100 RBIs, 20 home runs and 22 stolen bases in 156 games.

The White Sox now have Jermaine Dye in right field, and the Sox have him under contract for one more season at $11.5 million and a mutual option for 2010 at $12 million with a $1 million buyout.

Daily Herald White Sox reporter Scot Gregor says this deal can't happen unless the Sox can trade Dye first, and last week Sox General Manager Kenny Williams said a deal is "highly unlikely."

When asked about a possible deal for Abreu, a White Sox source dismissed the rumor.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
Murphy is the lowest of the lowest common denominators. Talk about a fanboy, some of his assertions about baseball are absolutely ridiculous

I used to leave the score on while I was at work until the afternoon, and I don't anymore because they're 100% morons. I just get angry, so now I leave Pandora on and just check the internet for info.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
they are talking about it now. I think they are just reading posts in this thread.

That's what I assumed. I was wondering if they bothered to actually call someone.

The fact that this hasn't been picked up by a major sports outlet tells me there is nothing to it.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
That's what I assumed. I was wondering if they bothered to actually call someone.

The fact that this hasn't been picked up by a major sports outlet tells me there is nothing to it.

They have zero sources, this site is better for insight.

And there will be plenty of denials and whatnot if a deal doesnt get done, its part of the business. To sign Abreu we would have to trade someone, who on the Sox is going to come out and say, "well we wanted to get rid of Dye, but Abreu wanted 2 years, so we are stuck keeping JD".

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)

It was literally just on ESPN like 15 seconds ago.. Steve Phillips and Buster Olney talked about it and said unless they move Dye, which is unlikely, they doubt it happens..

So pretty much what we already know

QUOTE (Greenman @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
It was literally just on ESPN like 15 seconds ago.. Steve Phillips and Buster Olney talked about it and said unless they move Dye, which is unlikely, they doubt it happens..

So pretty much what we already know

Well shows me, I guess.