NY Daily News: Sox make Abreu 1-Year Offer

Steve9347

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
That's what I assumed. I was wondering if they bothered to actually call someone.

The fact that this hasn't been picked up by a major sports outlet tells me there is nothing to it.

It was reported on Sportscenter, does that count?

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from daily herald on these reports on people dont want to read

According to a report in the New York Daily News, the White Sox have offered a one-year, $8 milion deal to ex-Yankee outfielder Bobby Abreu.

The Yankees paid Abreu $16 million to play right field for them last season, and the free agent has not had many multiple-year offers this winter.

Abreu, who turns 35 this month, batted .296 last season with 100 RBIs, 20 home runs and 22 stolen bases in 156 games.

The White Sox now have Jermaine Dye in right field, and the Sox have him under contract for one more season at $11.5 million and a mutual option for 2010 at $12 million with a $1 million buyout.

Daily Herald White Sox reporter Scot Gregor says this deal can't happen unless the Sox can trade Dye first, and last week Sox General Manager Kenny Williams said a deal is "highly unlikely."

When asked about a possible deal for Abreu, a White Sox source dismissed the rumor.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
Either this report is BS or somebody is getting moved.

Didn't the NY papers make some statement about the Sox trading someone earlier this year and it turned out to be BS? One can never tell of course, but why do a deal like this? We have no need for Abreu, ora t least at this point.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
Didn't the NY papers make some statement about the Sox trading someone earlier this year and it turned out to be BS? One can never tell of course, but why do a deal like this? We have no need for Abreu, ora t least at this point.

Its not that we need Abreu. You have to think about it in terms of what KW has tended to do. If we sign Abreu, its actually to get Homer Bailey, Chone Figgins, or someone else, and to clear salary in order to do so.

Per Jerry Crasnick espn.com:

Negotiations between the Chicago White Sox and free-agent outfielder Bobby Abreu stalled early this week after the team floated the possibility of a one-year, $8 million contract, said a baseball source.

The source disputed a New York Daily News report that said the White Sox had made Abreu an $8 million offer but confirmed that the team has been in contact with Abreu's agent, Peter Greenberg, in an effort to gauge the outfielder's asking price.

In an e-mail to ESPN.com, Chicago general manager Kenny Williams said Abreu is "a great player and will certainly help any club." But Williams declined to address whether the White Sox have any interest.

According to the source, the White Sox have some interest in acquiring Abreu and adding a pitcher, but Williams can't make those moves unless he trades right fielder Jermaine Dye and his $11.5 million salary. And the team has made little or no headway in trade talks involving Dye.

It's also uncertain whether the White Sox would save much money by signing Abreu and trading Dye. Abreu was initially looking for a three-year, $48 million deal this winter but then gradually downsized his expectations to $10 million to $11 million annually over three years.

Last week, Greenberg told the Seattle Times that Abreu is now open to the idea of signing a one-year contract. But it's believed Abreu is still looking for a base salary of at least $10 million.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
It was reported on Sportscenter, does that count?

First, someone already told me that.

Second, my point was that I don't trust this is a recent offer, which I still don't believe unless there is another source. No other source has been quoted, until Dick's post.

Third, B&B say that the Sox have dismissed the rumor, which I think they got from the Daily Herald (which may or may not be accurate).

Edited by G&T

Like I said, they had been in contact with his agent. Whether he decides to sign is up to him.

And whether you decide to believe me and my sources is up to you as well. But I will tell you that they had been in discussions with his agent as well as a few others I know of.

Edited by RockRaines

It doesn't appear as if he actually was offered the $8 million according to this report. It was just floated to see if there was interest. Even if Abreu would agree to the $8 million, and I think that will look pretty attractive to him in a week or so, the Sox still would have to move payroll. I think that is the hold up.

There seems to be a lot of dialog between teams and agents with no offers occurring. I remember reading something earlier this offseason about a team and player in serious negotiations without an offer extended. I really don't see how anything can be serious unless there is an offer or proposal. I wish I had that kind of time to waste.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
Per Jerry Crasnick espn.com:

Negotiations between the Chicago White Sox and free-agent outfielder Bobby Abreu stalled early this week after the team floated the possibility of a one-year, $8 million contract, said a baseball source.

The source disputed a New York Daily News report that said the White Sox had made Abreu an $8 million offer but confirmed that the team has been in contact with Abreu's agent, Peter Greenberg, in an effort to gauge the outfielder's asking price.

In an e-mail to ESPN.com, Chicago general manager Kenny Williams said Abreu is "a great player and will certainly help any club." But Williams declined to address whether the White Sox have any interest.

According to the source, the White Sox have some interest in acquiring Abreu and adding a pitcher, but Williams can't make those moves unless he trades right fielder Jermaine Dye and his $11.5 million salary. And the team has made little or no headway in trade talks involving Dye.

It's also uncertain whether the White Sox would save much money by signing Abreu and trading Dye. Abreu was initially looking for a three-year, $48 million deal this winter but then gradually downsized his expectations to $10 million to $11 million annually over three years.

Last week, Greenberg told the Seattle Times that Abreu is now open to the idea of signing a one-year contract. But it's believed Abreu is still looking for a base salary of at least $10 million.

If the sox made him an offer, then I think they may have something in place with Jermaine Dye or Paul Konerko. Why would they make an offer for a guy who cannot play centerfield and is a right fielder???

The problem still is that this doesn't solve the leadoff issue that we have. If Kenny has something up his sleeve, then by all means please make this team better. I just don't know if this makes us a playoff team or us better? Now if Kenny trades Dye and gets maybe a Figgins, then signs Abreu. Then we are a better team. I mean look at the difference in these lineups..

Figgins

Abreu

Quentin

Thome

Konerko

Pierzynski

Ramirez

Fields

Getz

or

Owens

Getz

Quentin

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Pierzynski

Ramirez

Fields

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
If the sox made him an offer, then I think they may have something in place with Jermaine Dye or Paul Konerko. Why would they make an offer for a guy who cannot play centerfield and is a right fielder???

The problem still is that this doesn't solve the leadoff issue that we have. If Kenny has something up his sleeve, then by all means please make this team better. I just don't know if this makes us a playoff team or us better? Now if Kenny trades Dye and gets maybe a Figgins, then signs Abreu. Then we are a better team. I mean look at the difference in these lineups..

Figgins

Abreu

Quentin

Thome

Konerko

Pierzynski

Ramirez

Fields

Getz

or

Owens

Getz

Quentin

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Pierzynski

Ramirez

Fields

According to this, they really didn't make an offer, they wanted to see if it was something he would be interested in and if he was, then they trade Dye if they can. I think they will have to eat some money to trade Dye, something they normally do not do.

Let's "assume" Abreu signs with us. Honestly besides Dye, only Konerko seems attractive and really only for a couple teams (Angels, if they sour on Morales and the Nationals) Not to mention Kong's 10/5 rights. Dye has much more trade cababilities (Reds [bailey + Stubbs/Roenicke] Mets [F. Martinez + B. Parnell + C+ type spect] Angels [Figgins + Walden/Adenhart + decent spect maybe] Dodgers [to an extent depends on Manny] Nationals [Depends if they still want to do a Swisher 1B or Nady RF + trade also]) Who knows if another dark hourse team could surprise that we don't know about.

Like I said, they had been in contact with his agent. Whether he decides to sign is up to him.

And whether you decide to believe me and my sources is up to you as well. But I will tell you that they had been in discussions with his agent as well as a few others I know of.

No offense, but so what?

The Sox have been tied to Abreu since Ozzie took over. What is there to "call" here? Get back to me when he passes the physical and the dollar amount is agreed upon. I'm still waiting for that Thursday press conference you were alluding to for some time a couple of months ago.

Edited by santo=dorf