NY Daily News: Sox make Abreu 1-Year Offer

Steve9347

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 07:57 AM)
And that does not include the $5 million they spent to get out of their spring training lease, correct? Thanks for difinatively busting the "$30 million less than last year" myth BTW.

Nope, that was not included.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always something with the Sox that prevents them from signing anything but reclamation projects. Can't really say I blame them. It's worked out well. Bargain hunting has turned up a few diamonds in the rough.

Very true.

On paper, we are a contender again this season. We'll see what happens with injuries, our big boppers and the bullpen.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
Very true.

On paper, we are a contender again this season. We'll see what happens with injuries, our big boppers and the bullpen.

we are? because were in a bad division or what? because as far as i know, we have a lot of ifs/question marks. (2sp's, 2b, 3b, cf, bench, back end of pen)

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
we are? because were in a bad division or what? because as far as i know, we have a lot of ifs/question marks. (2sp's, 2b, 3b, cf, bench, back end of pen)

How many teams in the AL Central do not have ifs/question marks?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)
How many teams in the AL Central do not have ifs/question marks?

Every team in baseball has ifs/question marks. The truth of the matter is the Sox have more ifs thatn 2 teams in the central meaning the twins and indians. The indians have sizemore, the twins have Denard Span, and we have Jerry Owens. That's a problem. We are adding Getz/Lillibridge and Fields to our lineup. Fields is NOT Crede at third. Bartolo Colon WILL be our 4th starter and no 5th starter at this point. That's a problem. Konerko's slumps are getting longer and Thome's career is getting shorter. Problem. We have very minimal speed on this team (not counting Owens cause who knows if he'll get on base). That's a problem. Our infield outside of Konerko has minimal experience in the bigs defensively. That's a problem. Just to summarize this team by far is a third or fourth place team on PAPER. Kenny has not made this team better

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 06:35 PM)
Every team in baseball has ifs/question marks. The truth of the matter is the Sox have more ifs thatn 2 teams in the central meaning the twins and indians. The indians have sizemore, the twins have Denard Span, and we have Jerry Owens. That's a problem. We are adding Getz/Lillibridge and Fields to our lineup. Fields is NOT Crede at third. Bartolo Colon WILL be our 4th starter and no 5th starter at this point. That's a problem. Konerko's slumps are getting longer and Thome's career is getting shorter. Problem. We have very minimal speed on this team (not counting Owens cause who knows if he'll get on base). That's a problem. Our infield outside of Konerko has minimal experience in the bigs defensively. That's a problem. Just to summarize this team by far is a third or fourth place team on PAPER. Kenny has not made this team better

kenny never makes this team better. Every year he purposefully makes it worse.

If Denard Span is a question mark, then definitely, so is Alexei Ramirez...Carlos Quentin, John Danks and Gavin Floyd.

Are you saying he's not certain because he is due for a sophomore slump?

If if anything's uncertain with the Twins:

1) Whether Liriano will regain his devastating stuff from 2006

2) Whether Slowey and Baker can repeat

3) Which pitchers are Perkins and Blackburn, the first or second half versions?

4) Can they get away with Punto at SS everyday, and Buscher/Harris at 3B (no upgrades as of yet)

5) Can Mauer stay healthy?

6) Will the real D. Young please stand up...and why are there even rumors about trading him for Clement and Washburn?

7) Where can they stick Cuddyer, or will they have to trade him?

8) Is Carlos Gomez ever going to come close to a .750 OPS?

9) What can they expect from the RH set-up men when they've yet to address the failings of Crain and Guerrier down the stretch?

10) Is Joe Nathan actually vulnerable/human for the first time in his career as a closer?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
If Denard Span is a question mark, then definitely, so is Alexei Ramirez...Carlos Quentin, John Danks and Gavin Floyd.

Are you saying he's not certain because he is due for a sophomore slump?

If if anything's uncertain with the Twins:

1) Whether Liriano will regain his devastating stuff from 2006

2) Whether Slowey and Baker can repeat

3) Which pitchers are Perkins and Blackburn, the first or second half versions?

4) Can they get away with Punto at SS everyday, and Buscher/Harris at 3B (no upgrades as of yet)

5) Can Mauer stay healthy?

6) Will the real D. Young please stand up...and why are there even rumors about trading him for Clement and Washburn?

7) Where can they stick Cuddyer, or will they have to trade him?

8) Is Carlos Gomez ever going to come close to a .750 OPS?

9) What can they expect from the RH set-up men when they've yet to address the failings of Crain and Guerrier down the stretch?

10) Is Joe Nathan actually vulnerable/human for the first time in his career as a closer?

Step back from your Twins fandom and reread what he said. He wasnt saying Span was a questionmark

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 06:35 PM)

Is there ever a bright side with the White Sox with you? Honest question. Were you actually happy when they won the division this year, or were you pissed that they didn't win it during the actual regular season?

You just seem like you are always on the ledge, ready to jump off. Relax. Let atleast spring training happen. I understand pessimism with the current team - there ARE quite a few holes - but there are quite a few options for every hole within the organization. Take a damn chill pill and let everything work itself out. If the team sucks, so be it...the Sox look fantastic beyond this year, and even this team could win the division.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
IMO Abreu makes us the favorite in the ALC.

His OBP is 30 points higher then Dye's, he had a better AVG by a few points, he had 100 RBI unlike Dye, and I'm going to guess he had more SB's.

Abreu would probably be our #2 hitter, no?

RBI is a dependent statistic and has nothing to do with the caliber of the player himself. He had Johnny Damon (.375 OBP) and Derek Jeter (.363 OBP) hitting in front of him most of the year. Dye had guys who either got themselves home or didn't get on base much hitting in front of him.

I will go on record as saying that Dye's the superior hitter, but he does not do nearly as much with the White Sox current lineup construction that Abreu would do, and that I am all for trading Dye and $3 mill for Bailey and a raw lower level prospect and then signing Abreu for $8 mill with a team option for next year. If the Reds are willing - I think some depends on whether or not they are interested or would think about bringing back Dunn - I could definitely seeing this being one of the few times the Sox would include cash in a deal just because of how much better the Sox are in the long-term.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)

His OBP is 30 points higher then Dye's, he had a better AVG by a few points, he had 100 RBI unlike Dye, and I'm going to guess he had more SB's.

I agree with you. I didn't give the ballpark factors a look before I typed this but I'd imagine his power numbers would increase a bit in our park as well. I would love to have him on a 1 year deal. Especially considering that it doesn't cost us a pick and I would imagine he is a type A player with a repeat performance. Even type B wouldnt be bad. You net players for Dye, probably cut salary a couple mil, get more speed, obp, a lefty bat, and get picks for Abreu when he leaves. Seems like a no brainer. Maybe I am crazy though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 10:08 PM)
RBI is a dependent statistic and has nothing to do with the caliber of the player himself. He had Johnny Damon (.375 OBP) and Derek Jeter (.363 OBP) hitting in front of him most of the year. Dye had guys who either got themselves home or didn't get on base much hitting in front of him.

Abreu:

RISP: .296 .372 .450 (169AB)

Runners on: .317 .397 .541 (290 AB)

RISP 2 outs: .382 .433 .618 (55AB)

Dye:

RISP: .269 .304 .429 (156AB)

Runners on: .273 .328 .472 (267AB)

RISP 2 outs: .210 .269 .306 (62AB)

Maybe their total RBI numbers are dependent, but you can clearly see what each player did last year when put in the same situations, Abreu made much more of them. And BTW, they both had about the same number of chances, so Im not sure how much the players in front of them had to do with it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)
Abreu:

Dye:

Maybe their total RBI numbers are dependent, but you can clearly see what each player did last year when put in the same situations, Abreu made much more of them. And BTW, they both had about the same number of chances, so Im not sure how much the players in front of them had to do with it.

Done aaaaaand...done.

/thread.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
Abreu:

Dye:

I agree, although JD's numbers in those situations flucuate from year to year, but RBI guys are RBI guys. There's no reason to believe Abreu wouldn't drive in 100 or close to it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)
Abreu:

Dye:

Didn't Dye put up numbers like that though a few years back? Didn't he hit .400 with 2 outs with RISP or something?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
Didn't Dye put up numbers like that though a few years back? Didn't he hit .400 with 2 outs with RISP or something?

2006 like the rest of that lineup. I think its safe to say that was an outlier. For their careers Abreu pretty much b**** slaps JD in those situations. He's a better run producer and a more clutch hitter with runners on base.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 04:01 AM)

He'd probably leadoff.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 04:08 AM)
I will go on record as saying that Dye's the superior hitter, but he does not do nearly as much with the White Sox current lineup construction that Abreu would do, and that I am all for trading Dye and $3 mill for Bailey and a raw lower level prospect and then signing Abreu for $8 mill with a team option for next year. If the Reds are willing - I think some depends on whether or not they are interested or would think about bringing back Dunn - I could definitely seeing this being one of the few times the Sox would include cash in a deal just because of how much better the Sox are in the long-term.

Well said. If the sox could trade Dye, they'd almost have to include cash in a deal. But if the sox could sign Abreu for $8 mill, they could part with the difference in Dye's salary.

Abreu's OBP skills [which could be used at the top of the lineup, hitting leadoff or #2] are needed far more than Dye's power in the 4th-6th spots. Esp. as the sox are getting younger and need to work guys in at the bottom of the order, the sox need a stronger top. Abreu could be signed to a deal after 2009 and used at DH in 2010+.

The Boston Globe is reporting Abreu may have to take $3 million a year. In the same article:

Orlando Hudson, 2B, free agent: It's amazing that a player of this caliber remains unsigned, but lining up are the Cubs, White Sox, and Dodgers. A few Cubs organizational people really want Hudson, but the impending transfer of ownership from the Chicago Tribune to Tom Ricketts may hinder GM Jim Hendry's ability to do anything until it's complete.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
The Boston Globe is reporting Abreu may have to take $3 million a year. In the same article:

Orlando Hudson, 2B, free agent: It's amazing that a player of this caliber remains unsigned, but lining up are the Cubs, White Sox, and Dodgers. A few Cubs organizational people really want Hudson, but the impending transfer of ownership from the Chicago Tribune to Tom Ricketts may hinder GM Jim Hendry's ability to do anything until it's complete.

I mean seriously, if Abreu only costs $3 million per year, wow. I really just want to sign and see what happens, but unfortunately unless you want CQ in CF, there is no room for him. I love Getz and think he can be a real solid ball player, but frickin sign Hudson for a year or something. His price tag is real low right now and he gives you a ton of flexibility. If he is willing to play CF, you can basically let Getz, Lillibridge, Anderson, Owens and Wise all battle for one starting job. If an infielder is the best in ST, Hudson plays CF, and if a OF is better, Hudson stays at 2b. Ideally, if Hudson can really play CF, I would love to see this lineup:

2B-Getz

CF-Hudson

LF-CQ

DH-Thome

RF-Dye

SS-Alexei (gotta break up the slow horses in the middle of the lineup)

1B-Konerko

C-AJ

3B-Fields

That had great balance at the top with two solid OBP players who have speed, the bombers (except AJ) the rest of the way.

Then you have a versatile bench of Anderson (can play all three OF), Lillibridge (all over), Owens (need a lefty) and a catcher. The Sox really do need a back-up first baseman, too.

I have always felt this off-season, KW is gonna get some of the best bargains in FA because he has more patience than he has had in the past. But I'll bet the Sox bring in some more major league talent.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
If we go out and splurge and get Hudson/Abreu that would make our offense pretty sick. We have a late draft pick anyways so not really overly worried about that.

if someone signs cabrera and we get a draft pick, then i would consider going after hudson on the cheap