NY Daily News: Sox make Abreu 1-Year Offer

Steve9347

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
Ok I disagree with you 100 billion percent. Let's look at the leadoff hitter for the last 9 or 10 world series winners. Jimmy Rollins, Dustin Pedroia, David Eckstein, Scott Podsednik, Johny Damon, Juan Pierre, David Eckstein, Tony Womack, and Alfonso Soriano.

I'm assuming you are a whitesox fan and if you wouldn't mind explaining why those pesky twins beat us up all the time?? Let's see stolen bases because AJ can't throw anyone out, bunt singles, a runner scoring from 2nd on a hard hit to left field. How many times do you see our players stopping at third? Wouldn't you like to see them score more? So lets fix that with some speed

its like you are arguing against yourself in the context of NSS' quote. he was saying that speed is UNDER rated, not overrated. Yet you are using the Twins as an example, and they beat the Sox using speed and also utilize all of the underrated things that speed provides ie. extra bases, bunts, scoring from 2nd on a single, and stolen bases.

And like previously stated, Womack, Soriano, Pierre, Damon and Podsednik are all known throughout their careers to be more than capable base stealers.

So what are you disagreeing with 100 billion percent?

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
The 1961 Yankees had Mantle who could fly, but he was a home run guy. He stole 12 bases, the rest of the team, 16. Bobby Richardson was 9-16 in stolen base attempts, no other Yankee had more than 1 steal. Of course they had 2 guys who combined for 115 homers and a bunch more with 20+. A little more talent than the current White Sox.

Since when does having speed mean you have to steal bases? Stolen bases are not an indicator of speed on a team, there are plenty of players with speed that dont steal any bases.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
I was pretty much just joking. Thanks for the history lesson, you probably saw each game that year.

You are welcome. Any baseball lover should be familiar with all time great teams and the hall of famers that got them there.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
i think ozzie wants to bring in abreu because they're good friends but they'd have to move dye/pk/thome/quentin... it will be pk or dye, hopefully pk/draft pics or cash for figgins 'or' starting pitcher.. it will make this team a playoff threat...

You can't trade draft picks in the MLB.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)
Why don't you look at that roster and tell me who can run?

Why? My point had nothing to do with THAT roster. My point is that stolen bases doesnt not mean that the player has speed or not, there are plenty of players with great speed around the bases that dont steal more than 2 bases a year.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
Start naming. I'm interested in oddball players. Like guys with low home run totals but high SLG%.

Are you referring to my previous post about a HOF'er? And my post had zero to do with the roster he mentioned, I am referring directly to the term "speed".

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
Why don't you look at that roster and tell me who can run?

That was a full ten years after Mantle blew out his knee in the 1951 WS thanks to DiMaggio calling him off too late on Mays fly ball, and he got caught on a sprinkler head.

No doubt, Mantle or Bo Jackson were probably the greatest athletes of their generations...and if Mantle hadn't abused his body so much, who knows what he could have accomplished in terms of overall numbers.

Are you referring to my previous post about a HOF'er? And my post had zero to do with the roster he mentioned, I am referring directly to the term "speed".

there are plenty of players with great speed around the bases that dont steal more than 2 bases a year.

Like whom?

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 06:35 PM)
I'm assuming you are a whitesox fan and if you wouldn't mind explaining why those pesky twins beat us up all the time?? Let's see stolen bases because AJ can't throw anyone out, bunt singles, a runner scoring from 2nd on a hard hit to left field. How many times do you see our players stopping at third? Wouldn't you like to see them score more? So lets fix that with some speed

Remember back in September when we beat those Twins with a Solo Homerun to get into the playoffs? Yeah, those were good times.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
Speed is underrated, not because stolen bases are cool, but because so many people think that stolen bases are the only impact of speed. There are so many other things that speed buys you.

Power hitting is still more important, more of the time. But speed can be a serious value-add for any team.

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
Ok I disagree with you 100 billion percent. Let's look at the leadoff hitter for the last 9 or 10 world series winners. Jimmy Rollins, Dustin Pedroia, David Eckstein, Scott Podsednik, Johny Damon, Juan Pierre, David Eckstein, Tony Womack, and Alfonso Soriano.

OK, you either missed my point entirely, or you are being sarcastic. I can't tell which.

My point was, speed is good, and you can't dismiss it by simply saying that attempting to steal bases is bad. And secondarily, that speed isn't everything or even the most important thing, but it is indeed important.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)
OK, you either missed my point entirely, or you are being sarcastic. I can't tell which.

My point was, speed is good, and you can't dismiss it by simply saying that attempting to steal bases is bad. And secondarily, that speed isn't everything or even the most important thing, but it is indeed important.

I think you were spot on before. Speed alone isnt as valuable as power alone, but speed is a GREAT value add to a team and is a neccessary piece of a well balanced championship caliber team.

Abreu drove in more runs, had a higher AVG, and a higher OBP, all in a fairly pitcher's park in NY compared to here.

I'd glady take him if we could get a guy like Bailey and another solid prospect for Dye.

BTW- ESPN says the Sox are also interested in "a pitcher". Hopefully that's not Sheets...stay tuned.