NY Daily News: Sox make Abreu 1-Year Offer

Steve9347

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
I'd glady take him if we could get a guy like Bailey and another solid prospect for Dye.

With the way the market has fallen off for corner OF's, if we could get Bailey for Dye + $3 million, I'd probably do that deal.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
With the way the market has fallen off for corner OF's, if we could get Bailey for Dye + $3 million, I'd probably do that deal.

Abreu+Bailey and 3.5 million for Dye? Yea i'd do that also. It would keep us competitive this year, while adding even more depth to our pitching staff.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 08:56 PM)
Really curious who this mysterious pitcher is. And I know this has essentially been the slowest moving offseason ever, but why now?

I'm thinking its the Bailey/Abreu combo platter weve all been talking about.

I could see KW trying to get a guy like Weaver from the Angels for Dye as well.... Kind of odd that ESPN reported this rumor. Usually if it gets to them, it has some sort of legitmacy behind it.

Really curious who this mysterious pitcher is. And I know this has essentially been the slowest moving offseason ever, but why now?

Glavine (doubtful)

Rogers (same)

Mulder (maybe)

Looper

Yadel Marti

Sheets

R. Wolf

Pedro Martinez

K. Benson (doubtful)

Paul Byrd

Well the Sox are responsible for $98,125,000 for the 2009 season at this time and that's only 16 players, 14 of which will be ready for opening day so you can add on another 11 players at a total of about $4.75M to make that number $102,875,000 heading into opening day. I can't imagine they have much more money to spend at this time, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
Well the Sox are responsible for $98,125,000 for the 2009 season at this time and that's only 15 players, 14 of which will be ready for opening day so you can add on another 11 players at a total of about $4.75M to make that number $102,875,000 heading into opening day. I can't imagine they have much more money to spend at this time, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Does that include Viciedo's signing bonus or just his base salary for 2009?

Has anyone confirmed if we are getting any money from the Phillies for Thome (supposedly $5-6 million, the infamous "handshake" agreement with Gillick) and/or if we have any insurance for Contreras (although it looks like he COULD be back as early as May and that would negate the insurance payout)???

I noticed that Jenks' one-year salary hasn't been added to the payroll resource. So that's included in the $98 million as well...? And I'm assuming nothing about the relocation/Tucson/ST payout either, logically...even though it could be yet another factor in the overall bottom line.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
Does that include Viciedo's signing bonus or just his base salary for 2009?

Has anyone confirmed if we are getting any money from the Phillies for Thome (supposedly $6 million) and/or if we have any insurance for Contreras (although it looks like he COULD be back as early as May and that would negate the insurance payout)???

That does include Viciedo's signing bonus and all player buyouts. I have found no confirmation on the Thome thing, George Offman eluded to it late last year but I've heard no mention of it since then.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
I noticed that Jenks' one-year salary hasn't been added to the payroll resource. So that's included in the $98 million as well...? And I'm assuming nothing about the relocation/Tucson/ST payout either, logically...even though it could be yet another factor in the overall bottom line.

The number I just posted is a new one, I have a spreadsheet that I update constantly so Jenks' salary is included. The graphic has yet to be updated, I'll get to that in the next few days.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
Glavine (doubtful)

Rogers (same)

Mulder (maybe)

Looper

Yadel Marti

Sheets

R. Wolf

Pedro Martinez

K. Benson (doubtful)

Paul Byrd

It looks like the thread on mlbtr has been downsized but someone was suggesting some outrageous deal for Washburn. People think Sox fans have pipe dreams but this guy was talking a Delmon Young or Carlos Quentin for him. One of the funnier things I've ever seen.

Anywho, out of that list I'd peg Sheets, Pedro, Marti and Mulder as targets. Not sure what is available in the trade circles but I can't imagine much.

If the Mariners are another team seeking a bat, along with (Cin, LAD, LAA, SF) then I wouldn't mind taking a risk on a guy like Bedard. I know Seattle has interest in Abreu so I doubt they'd bite but if Abreu signs here, they don't have much of a choice. I think they'd want any of the three (Dye, Thome, Konerko). If not obviously Bailey/Adenhart/Figgins/Jon Sanchez would be other targets from those teams.

I hope there is something positive which comes out of this. If not positive, at least something exciting.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
It looks like the thread on mlbtr has been downsized but someone was suggesting some outrageous deal for Washburn. People think Sox fans have pipe dreams but this guy was talking a Delmon Young or Carlos Quentin for him. One of the funnier things I've ever seen.

Anywho, out of that list I'd peg Sheets, Pedro, Marti and Mulder as targets. Not sure what is available in the trade circles but I can't imagine much.

If the Mariners are another team seeking a bat, along with (Cin, LAD, LAA, SF) then I wouldn't mind taking a risk on a guy like Bedard. I know Seattle has interest in Abreu so I doubt they'd bite but if Abreu signs here, they don't have much of a choice. I think they'd want any of the three (Dye, Thome, Konerko). If not obviously Bailey/Adenhart/Figgins/Jon Sanchez would be other targets from those teams.

I hope there is something positive which comes out of this. If not positive, at least something exciting.

Guess it depends on Cooper's thinking...lots of rumors about Bedard's work ethic and coachability are out there, although you could say the same thing about many pitchers we've looked at in the past.

For every "Cooper will fix him" comment, there's the likes of Masset, Sisco, Aardsma and many others that are counter-points. Still, if the talent's there (like with Thornton/Contreras/Danks/Floyd), then I trust Cooper as much, if not more, than any other major league pitching coach to maximize the ability and translate it into results.

I think Mulder, with his Chicago roots and his even higher reward/low risk pricetag, would be an appealing get, although Bedard obviously can have much nastier stuff. Supposedly, Mulder has really been working on his arm angle/slot all off-season, and that's seen as the determining factor about whether he can be an above-average pitcher again.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)

So the Reds would take on Dye's $11.5 mill + give up another $3 mill. + Bailey so pay out $14.5 mill and give up a prospect when Abreu is probably there for the taking for $10 mill. ?

Beforehand, I didn't think Abreu made any sense at all considering our youth movement, but I also thought Dye woulda been gone a while back. Until now I realized, the sox HAVE to get Abreu now. Ozzie, KW etc. have been preaching OBP for some time now, and your basically trading SLG% for OBP%. He'll instantly be our most consistant #2 hole hitter (or 6th) and one of our better bats with his smarts at the plate to go along with his ability to drive balls the other way. his 70+ BB's a season to go along with his pitch per ab, would be just what we need even if he is declining. He, Thome, Quentin and perhaps Getz and Konerko to an extent would really from a nice OBP combo and most of them have very nice SLG% anyway to help balance out the other potential SLG% (Fields, Ramirez, Anderson [potential wise]) Ozzie would then have more flexability to actually send the runners more if they single (Abreu, BA/Owens, Getz/Lillibridge, Fields, Quentin, Ramirez all have the potential to steal 15+ bases if Ozzie utilizes them correctly) and to also move the runners along better. (Abreu is a hell of a tough out and an excellent guy to have with runners to base who doesn't swing for the fences all the time)

SLG vs OBP is basically what were looking at here. (and to be honest, Abreu's SLG% is pretty damn good to begin with) To me it's makes sense to balance that in more in the line-up or... get the better player.

There are a lotta good free agents out there still. Do you guys think that in a normal economy we'd be sitting pretty right now? We'd have added Garland and Hudson and maybe Rodriguez to be back up catcher? We'd have maybe added a few pitchers? Is it the economy, stupid that has held us back?

I mean I'm interested in trying out Getz, etc., but shouldn't we have picked up Garland, Hudson (maybe even Durham), Byrd, Kerry Wood, etc?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:54 PM)
So the Reds would take on Dye's $11.5 mill + give up another $3 mill. + Bailey so pay out $14.5 mill and give up a prospect when Abreu is probably there for the taking for $10 mill. ?

Hello logic, I didn't hear you come in

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:54 PM)

It looks to me like Dye + $3M = Bailey. So the Sox would be pitching in a little cash to help pay for Dye's salary. So his logic is the Sox clear $8M in payroll and add a young, incredibly cheap, high upside starter because in these economic times that $8M gets you quite a bit on the open market (Abreu) and young, cheap players are at a premium.

The Reds need a Right Handed SLG bat. Their line-up as it is has alot of (or actually used to until Griffey, Dunn, and Hamilton leaving town these past couple seasons but they do like Dickerson, Richar) left-handed batters. (hell they got Votto and Bruce as their 3-4 right now (or of course Dusty would probably put a Phillips/Gomes/Encarnancion in there), Dye would fit in very, very nicely with that RH thunder stick to drive in 90+ runs) That's what Jocketty has been looking for all along. If he wanted Abreu, they woulda made him AT LEAST an offer a long time ago. But I've heard they like Gomes alot though. They see him as a bench guy right now, but if he does well in spring training, they'll probably hand him the left field (or right field) spot. That Tavares signing was not that good by them, IMO and I know their fans never liked it from the start.

Also, they can either pick up Dye's option or get that Type A draft pick which might make Dye more attractive to them.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 09:18 PM)
There are a lotta good free agents out there still. Do you guys think that in a normal economy we'd be sitting pretty right now? We'd have added Garland and Hudson and maybe Rodriguez to be back up catcher? We'd have maybe added a few pitchers? Is it the economy, stupid that has held us back?

I mean I'm interested in trying out Getz, etc., but shouldn't we have picked up Garland, Hudson (maybe even Durham), Byrd, Kerry Wood, etc?

It's always something with the Sox that prevents them from signing anything but reclamation projects. Can't really say I blame them. It's worked out well. Bargain hunting has turned up a few diamonds in the rough.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 09:24 PM)
It looks to me like Dye + $3M = Bailey. So the Sox would be pitching in a little cash to help pay for Dye's salary. So his logic is the Sox clear $8M in payroll and add a young, incredibly cheap, high upside starter because in these economic times that $8M gets you quite a bit on the open market (Abreu) and young, cheap players are at a premium.

Knowing Balta thats what I thought he meant but I wasn't the only one confused judging by the comment after his. The uproar here if Dye was traded for Bailey and we threw in $3 mill. cash. would be tremendous. But like I said in an earlier post in this thread the Sox would do just about anything at this point to rid themselves of Dye's salary but I really don't think there are any takers.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
Well the Sox are responsible for $98,125,000 for the 2009 season at this time and that's only 16 players, 14 of which will be ready for opening day so you can add on another 11 players at a total of about $4.75M to make that number $102,875,000 heading into opening day. I can't imagine they have much more money to spend at this time, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

And that does not include the $5 million they spent to get out of their spring training lease, correct? Thanks for difinatively busting the "$30 million less than last year" myth BTW.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 12:24 AM)

Didn't Jockerty say they were set now after signing Willy Taveras?

Which is really pretty stupid, because Dye does make a lot of sense to them. But maybe they should have gone after Pat Burrell a little bit harder when he was a FA.